This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted851444

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going into my junior year and I feel like my ECs are really far behind compared to most other pre-med students. I want to apply without taking a gap year but I might need to take one to boost my application.

Here is what I have so far:

Hospital volunteer (direct patient interaction) - 60 hours ( plan to have at least 200 by next summer)
Scribe ED - 120 hours
Scribe Outpatient - 60 hours (plan to have 500 hours by time of application)
Research - 40 hours (Project wasn't going anywhere due to lack of data/interest so it was discontinued)
Non-health related club Founder/vice president - 50 hours.
Shadowing - 15 hours (plan on getting getting more since I really enjoyed this experience)

What I have lined up for fall semester:
-University level/elementary level tutoring
-Restarting a health related club
What I want to do after fall
-More Research

So my question is am I on track. It feels like I have so little compared to my friends who are applying with me next cycle.
Your ECs will eventually check off the things that we look for; but nothing about your ECs currently stands out. The other parts of your application (GPA, MCAT, LORs, etc) will need to make up for the rather generic ECs.

Definitely get some teaching experience in as it's looked upon highly. Pursue more research if you are interested in a research-heavy school. Personally, I find club leadership experiences to be rather ho-hum. Unless you really enjoy those things or think that you can make a large impact in that role, I would recommend using that time to pursue other activities instead. Just my humble opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
I am going into my junior year and I feel like my ECs are really far behind compared to most other pre-med students. I want to apply without taking a gap year but I might need to take one to boost my application.

Here is what I have so far:

Hospital volunteer (direct patient interaction) - 60 hours ( plan to have at least 200 by next summer)
Scribe ED - 120 hours
Scribe Outpatient - 60 hours (plan to have 500 hours by time of application)
Research - 40 hours (Project wasn't going anywhere due to lack of data/interest so it was discontinued)
Non-health related club Founder/vice president - 50 hours.
Shadowing - 15 hours (plan on getting getting more since I really enjoyed this experience)

What I have lined up for fall semester:
-University level/elementary level tutoring
-Restarting a health related club
What I want to do after fall
-More Research

So my question is am I on track. It feels like I have so little compared to my friends who are applying with me next cycle.

If you have any interest in research at all and are enrolled in an institution that has a lot of opportunities, I would maximize those opportunities. In my opinion, there are many benefits from undergrad research that can be reflected in your application and interviews. You could get pubs, meet great, lifelong mentors, receive supplemental research awards, have opportunities to present your projects, and demonstrate that you are intellectually curious outside schoolwork. Definitely the best bang for your buck!

Status
Not open for further replies.