/

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschoolwoo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm just about to start med school, so idk what Im Talking about entirely. But generally these are DO friendly.

You should try to search questions before you ask them. Not trying to be rude, just some helpful advice. Here's some other posts regarding your question if you want to read through them:

Edit: Also, this is a contreversial question these days because no one is sure what's going to happen after the merger.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
yah, i was referring to after the merger, i know they are considered ok as of now.
Well idk if anyone can fairly guess what the result of the merger will be. Psych, allegedly, has gone up in difficulty for MD and DO. I'd imagine peds and OB/GYN will still be readily available for DOs in the future honestly.

There's no need to speculate about these matters. We have the data. In 2018, of the DOs who applied to OB/GYN, 61% matched. Psychiatry, 73% matched. Pediatrics, 90% matched.

I don't know what your exact definition of "DO friendly" is, but you can look through the data and draw your own conclusions.

Is oncology DO friendly?

See: How realistic is Heme Onc as a DO?

Reactions: 1 user
Is oncology DO friendly?
For the most part yes. Being a DO will surely not keep you out of the heme/onc match but you'll have to work hard and have the app for it. I would say it is middle of the road as far as competitiveness in IM fellowships with GI and Cards being most competitive Heme/onc, pulm, rheum, allergy in the middle and nephro, ID, endo toward the bottom

For the most part yes. Being a DO will surely not keep you out of the heme/onc match but you'll have to work hard and have the app for it. I would say it is middle of the road as far as competitiveness in IM fellowships with GI and Cards being most competitive Heme/onc, pulm, rheum, allergy in the middle and nephro, ID, endo toward the bottom
Probably safe to say any IM subspecialty is reasonable as a DO, right? Just comes down to getting a good enough IM residency.

Probably safe to say any IM subspecialty is reasonable as a DO, right? Just comes down to getting a good enough IM residency.
Yes but more importantly if you want GI or cards kick ass in IM. Really any specialties other than the uber competitive surgical subspecialties and derm are going to be reasonable. Even the uber competitive ones are doable you just have to be a superstar (top boards, research, connections/letters or phone calls from people in high places saying you **** gold).

Last edited: