This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They don’t send out any more acceptances until April right?

Hi everyone! I wondered if anyone was planning to apply to the Duke MBS program this year? Also would love if any current/former students had any thoughts on the program and how it lead them to their next steps. It sounds like a great program!!

Hey! Duke MBS alum here. the program helped me out tremendously. Its a perfect place to go if youre trying to get into medical school. Got accepted into medical school for fall 2019 even with a low MCAT score (under 500) and I think the program had a lot to do with that.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! Duke MBS alum here. the program helped me out tremendously. Its a perfect place to go if youre trying to get into medical school. Got accepted into medical school for fall 2019 even with a low MCAT score (under 500) and I think the program had a lot to do with that.
Thanks for the feedback! I will be starting this July and would like to know what your path to medical school was like. Did you apply right after the end of the program, what would you say were some of the main ways that the MBS allowed you to stand out compared to other applicants?

Thank you for taking the time to answer our question!

Congrats to you all who have heard back! Rooting for the ones who are still awaiting a response. I'm looking to apply to this program next year. Would anyone mind sharing their stats?! I'm still doing research on programs so any help would be appreciated -- thanks so much!

Hi everyone! I wondered if anyone was planning to apply to the Duke MBS program this year? Also would love if any current/former students had any thoughts on the program and how it lead them to their next steps. It sounds like a great program!!

I applied and got accepted! I'm trying to decide between the MBS and Pitt's BMP. I think I'm leaning towards Duke right now but I'll see.

I am guessing we will hear tomorrow! Nice to know I am not the only one.

Still waiting to hear as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. New user. Never used SDN but saw there was a page for Duke MBS so thought I'd join to see potential classmates on the page. I was accepted on Friday around 2pm. Excited to be part of the program : )

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi! thinking of applying for next year. would really appreciate if anyone accepted/waitlisted can share their stats/ECs. What do you think they look for? Right now I'm pretty competitive for a low to mid-tier MD i think (solid MCAT but avg GPA) but my dream has always been duke med and i hope doing well in the MBS program could get me some serious consideration. thanks in advance !

Hi! thinking of applying for next year. would really appreciate if anyone accepted/waitlisted can share their stats/ECs. What do you think they look for? Right now I'm pretty competitive for a low to mid-tier MD i think (solid MCAT but avg GPA) but my dream has always been duke med and i hope doing well in the MBS program could get me some serious consideration. thanks in advance !
Hey! I got accepted for the c/o 2020 so I'm happy to share. So right now I have around a 3.6, and I hadn't taken my MCAT when I applied so don't worry so much about that so much. Um personal, I think with my acceptance was being well-rounded, it wasn't just the GPA it was 4-year of varsity football and becoming team captain as well as having many, many hours of patient care experience to make up for my low shadowing hours in addition to some other extracurriculars. Other than that, make sure your recommendations are A1 and when you get to essay writing, make sure you have them edited by multiple people and have it read by someone you don't know personally that well...your essays should paint a picture of different aspects of your character and maturation over the years so if you can convey that to someone you don't know, then the admissions staff should definitely be able to see that as well. Feel free to ask any other questions you have and good luck next year!

Hey! I got accepted for the c/o 2020 so I'm happy to share. So right now I have around a 3.6, and I hadn't taken my MCAT when I applied so don't worry so much about that so much. Um personal, I think with my acceptance was being well-rounded, it wasn't just the GPA it was 4-year of varsity football and becoming team captain as well as having many, many hours of patient care experience to make up for my low shadowing hours in addition to some other extracurriculars. Other than that, make sure your recommendations are A1 and when you get to essay writing, make sure you have them edited by multiple people and have it read by someone you don't know personally that well...your essays should paint a picture of different aspects of your character and maturation over the years so if you can convey that to someone you don't know, then the admissions staff should definitely be able to see that as well. Feel free to ask any other questions you have and good luck next year!
that's amazing! yeah academics seem to really love athlete-scholars, so I can see why you were so successful. I have no doubt med schools will love you as well given your unique background, provided that's where you want to go in the future :) thanks for your response and good luck to you as well!

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted today!!!! Still deciding between Duke MBS and UAB Masters in Biomedical and Health Science Program.

Reactions: 1 user
For anyone in the program right now, do you care to comment on how the program is going? How rigorous are the courses and if you feel supported by the faculty?
Yo! We are just getting to the end of our first block of classes (anatomy and EMT-B training). I personally am loving the program and the rigor so far. A lot of the material so far mimics a lot of what you'd get in an M1 year so the workload is heavy, no question about it. That being said, there's still plenty of time to relax on the weekend, workout, and keep up with a hobby. People love to go out after exams or go visit family. The only negative really was the first week or two. We were kind of thrown into the fire right after orientation and it was pretty disorganized but things eventually smoothed out.

I can't speak for the remainder of the faculty for the rest of the program but so far the support has been outstanding. You can pretty much tell within the first few days that they took a lot of time in deciding what kind of students to bring into this program, and my class, in particular, is very diverse and meshes well. Academically, I've seen that the faculty want us to succeed and are definitely available for support if you just reach out. And the interactions I've seen have always been respectful and the faculty really do attempt to encourage everyone the best they can so no problems on that end.

Thank you so much for the response! In terms of the number of classes that you are taking per block, what are the most that you take at one time? Are you taking the same exact curriculum as an MS1 or is it a little lighter course load?
I can't speak too much on the M1 comparison there but I know for now it's like 2-4 classes per block. And if there's more than 2 the others are usually pretty light

Hi. I'm a Duke MBS Alum as well from the 3rd year class of 2018. I believe the program has boosted my application to receive a couple of interviews and 1 acceptance so far although I submitted most of my med school secondary app between late August and late Septemberer. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Hey, @DrStormThunder! I am interested in applying to this program this year, and I was wondering, what are the stats of the avg. matriculant for this program? Also, did you apply with a test score? Even though the website says that it is not necessary to apply with a test score, would you recommend applying with a test score?

I can't speak too much on the M1 comparison there but I know for now it's like 2-4 classes per block. And if there's more than 2 the others are usually pretty light
Hi! is there any way I can send you a message? I was recently accepted into the program and have a few questions for you. SDN won't allow me to send you a private message.