This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aorta22

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey!
Duke MBS alum here from the 1st year class of 2016. Currently an MS2 at Duke school of Medicine. The MBS program was a fantastic program for me, it helped solidify my intentions of applying to medical school and has absolutely prepared me for medical school curricula. Since I graduated they have continued to adapt the program to student and faculty feedback and it has only gotten better. Some things I found to be highlights included EMT training and shifts, to provide real patient experiences instead of just shadowing. Cadaveric dissection to augment anatomy learning and expose you one of the most sacred parts of medical training; the selfless gift of someone’s body. Team based learning, which is a skill that can be learned and improved upon and is absolutely crucial to success in modern medicine. Faculty mentoring for self development, and a great place to learn because it’s Duke and it has a giant academic medical center attached to it and an undergrad campus with great facilities to use.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all, and a special "shout out" to the original poster for getting this started. My name is Kevin, and I am currently working on my application (well, taking a break from my essays, anyway). I attended (one of) the information session(s) and it was fantastic! The students, both current and former, in addition to the staff, seemed very knowledgeable and caring, and the whole environment appeared like it fostered individual and group growth. There was a large portion devoted to group learning, as this appeared to be a major aspect of their curriculum, which would be quite applicable to future endeavors in my desired fields. In fact, this is one of the major selling points of the program for me. Best of luck to everyone!

Hi everyone! I wondered if anyone was planning to apply to the Duke MBS program this year? Also would love if any current/former students had any thoughts on the program and how it lead them to their next steps. It sounds like a great program!!

What makes one a good applicant to this program? I’m almost done with my application. I just wanna make sure it’s worth my time to apply

Hey!
Duke MBS alum here from the 1st year class of 2016. Currently an MS2 at Duke school of Medicine. The MBS program was a fantastic program for me, it helped solidify my intentions of applying to medical school and has absolutely prepared me for medical school curricula. Since I graduated they have continued to adapt the program to student and faculty feedback and it has only gotten better. Some things I found to be highlights included EMT training and shifts, to provide real patient experiences instead of just shadowing. Cadaveric dissection to augment anatomy learning and expose you one of the most sacred parts of medical training; the selfless gift of someone’s body. Team based learning, which is a skill that can be learned and improved upon and is absolutely crucial to success in modern medicine. Faculty mentoring for self development, and a great place to learn because it’s Duke and it has a giant academic medical center attached to it and an undergrad campus with great facilities to use.

Hi. I'm a Duke MBS Alum as well from the 3rd year class of 2018. I believe the program has boosted my application to receive a couple of interviews and 1 acceptance so far although I submitted most of my med school secondary app between late August and late Septemberer. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Reactions: 1 user
What makes one a good applicant to this program? I’m almost done with my application. I just wanna make sure it’s worth my time to apply
I believe your essays are very important, so make sure they are unique to you.

I have question for current or former students. I am currently certified and work as a paramedic. I see there is a emt course in the program. If you are already certified what all the does the program have you do.

I have question for current or former students. I am currently certified and work as a paramedic. I see there is a emt course in the program. If you are already certified what all the does the program have you do.

What is your state of residency? Do you have a state license or national?

Members don't see this ad :)
You won't have to retake your state exam as long as you provide them a copy of your certification but You will have to take the course with your classmates.

If you submitted your app on time for the priority deadline but one of your letters of rec is still outstanding, does your app just get bumped to regular review? or does it still get considered under priority? :(
I believe I saw somewhere on the website under FAQ’s that if you don’t have everything in by the deadline, even letters of rec it gets bumped to regular decision.

I applied priority, and I’m low key dying from anticipation. I’m also planning on applying to the UNT/TCOM Masters Program, among with a couple others.

This is my first choice program, I'm also awaiting with anticipation like you ChefCurry1023. Does anyone happen to know any program statistics such as average accepted GPA?

They look at the application as a whole grades are just one part of it from what I can tell from the website and information sessions I have done.

This is my first choice program, I'm also awaiting with anticipation like you ChefCurry1023. Does anyone happen to know any program statistics such as average accepted GPA?

I honestly have no idea about their average GPA, or acceptance stats. I feel like they have kept that info on the low purposely, and I feel like that accurately reflects their selection criteria. Here’s the deal: we wouldn’t be applying to this program if we were already eligible candidates for medical school, meaning great stats, great EC’s etc. they know that. Which is why they would want us to set ourselves apart in different ways. According to a friend of mine who’s in the program right now, they really do look at your whole application. Now I admit that makes me nervous. I personally consider my experience unique, but you know what, by definition so is everyone else’s. I’m just hoping my experiences were enough to make the cut, and I’m rooting for the rest of y’all as well.

Reactions: 2 users
I honestly have no idea about their average GPA, or acceptance stats. I feel like they have kept that info on the low purposely, and I feel like that accurately reflects their selection criteria. Here’s the deal: we wouldn’t be applying to this program if we were already eligible candidates for medical school, meaning great stats, great EC’s etc. they know that. Which is why they would want us to set ourselves apart in different ways. According to a friend of mine who’s in the program right now, they really do look at your whole application. Now I admit that makes me nervous. I personally consider my experience unique, but you know what, by definition so is everyone else’s. I’m just hoping my experiences were enough to make the cut, and I’m rooting for the rest of y’all as well.
That was incredibly well-written, mate. Best of luck to you!

The virtual information sessions were great the one thing they stressed on was they look at the application as a whole and not just one area.

That is certainly true. I agree with you on the unique criteria of selection, and best of luck to you!

Question for current or former students: how do you feel this program has helped u after u have completed it with getting accepted into a med school or pa school?

Only 22 more days until priority review receives decisions! So nervous....
Let's pray for each other

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, we're into single digits in terms of days left until Priority decision. My psyche is fragile from the anxiety lmao

Only a couple more days! I’m so anxious!

Anyone know what time on Friday they're supposed to make calls? I wanna make sure I'm not doing anything around then

Anyone know what time on Friday they're supposed to make calls? I wanna make sure I'm not doing anything around then
I dont think there is a certain time. I don't imagine it being in the morning though. Probably not until at least noon.

Wow thanks for the heads up, I usually wake up at 2:30 on Friday

Sooo nervous about tomorrow! Guys update if you get accepted, deferred, anything!

Ugh my nerves lol. I’m hoping for an acceptance but I feel a strong rejection coming my way.

Good luck with getting accepted today guys!

Super nervous too! Wonder when they’ll start calling and emailing.

Haven’t received an email yet but got a call an hour ago!

For those that have heard, are you on the east coast??

As far as I know, I’ve been accepted lol, the phone call said as much. But waiting on the email right now. And I am from TEXAS! Home of Whataburger and BBQ!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted! Got the call at 10:30 in the middle of my class, and the email about an hour ago!

Received email 1pm. I was wait listed. Congrats to everyone that has been accepted.

Accepted and looking forward to attending! To everyone waitlisted, keep your hopes up, I believe in you all

Accepted and looking forward to attending! To everyone waitlisted, keep your hopes up, I believe in you all
Congratulations on your acceptance!

Does anyone know any details about the waitlist?

Best of luck to everyone who was deferred or waitlisted, rooting for you guys! To those who were accepted, would you guys like to make a FB group? DM if you’re interested

Accepted today as well! Super excited to attend and meet you guys!