This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0.8GPA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Though Call, small rank difference but major cost difference. What sort of career ambitions do you have?

I'm interested in policy and non-profit work. It is an interest that I'd like to see where it goes. I'm not currently aiming to be the director of the CDC, but I don't want it to be unreachable.
See there is a conundrum, policy /epi work doesnt pay well. However if you want to get better policy work exposure emory would probably be the place to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Emory given your interests in public health and proximity to the CDC. Faculty at Emory will benefit you more in terms of networking and whatnot. I'm not entirely sure how strong Carver's public health program there but I would say Emory for the prestige and public health opportunities!

Sounds like Emory has what you want. Also I wish I were you, believing that CCOM was cold! It has an extra 6 weeks of summer compared to where I’m from.
(Also I am admitting bias because I want carver and need your seat :p)

I can't believe how often people on SDN don't blink an eye at cost when giving advice like this! I have spoken with a large number of practicing physicians and the consensus (as in, not a single one has disagreed) is that MD degrees are generally considered equal in the US. People care how good a doctor you are, not where you went to med school. And in this case, BOTH schools are prestigious. OP, even if you want an MPH from Emory, you could probably still do that with an MD from Iowa. You could take a leave of absence, or do it during residency, or even later down the road. I simply cannot see how people justify taking on 100k+ in additional debt +6-7% interest. That's a massive amount of cash, even for a doctor! (This probably speaks to why docs are sometimes criticized as being poor financial planners.)

Reactions: 1 users
I can't believe how often people on SDN don't blink an eye at cost when giving advice like this! I have spoken with a large number of practicing physicians and the consensus (as in, not a single one has disagreed) is that MD degrees are generally considered equal in the US. People care how good a doctor you are, not where you went to med school. And in this case, BOTH schools are prestigious. OP, even if you want an MPH from Emory, you could probably still do that with an MD from Iowa. You could take a leave of absence, or do it during residency, or even later down the road. I simply cannot see how people justify taking on 100k+ in additional debt +6-7% interest. That's a massive amount of cash, even for a doctor! (This probably speaks to why docs are sometimes criticized as being poor financial planners.)
Whoops haha I really did glaze over that part when reading.. but if that amount of money isn’t enough to make OP’s decision for them immediately then maybe it’s not a big deal to this person.

But yeah edit to my last post, saving the household income my family of four earned during the time period of my birth to age 2.5 would be sweet for you if you pick Carver.

Reactions: 1 user