[Serious]: CCLCM vs Iowa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which One?

• Total voters

Summertime Chi

Reaction score
Very grateful to be in the position, but this decision is difficult to make. The ultimate goal is to match somewhere in Chicago, unsure about the specialty choice but not really interested in anything super competitive, also not interested in primary care (maybe anesthesia). Just want to match in my specialty of choice really anywhere in Chicago tbh, do not necessarily care much for prestige.

CCLCM (Tuition: 0)

Pros:
- Full Tuition Scholarship
- No Grades, No assessments, No Internal Rankings, No AOA
- Beautiful Facilities
- Better Reputation/Match List

Cons:
- Location: not a fan of Cleveland, seemed depressing, 6-hour drive home
- Required 5th Year (opportunity cost)
- Honestly do not enjoy research and would have to spend every summer and 5th year doing research
- Heavy PBL, required attendance and dress code
- 32 class size

Iowa (Tuition: 54k total for four years)

Pros:
- Location: 3-hour drive home, familiar with Iowa City, feels livable
- 4 Year MD
- Closer to friends and family
- Nice Facilities
- Student body is more bearable here

Cons:
- Grades and Assessments: P/F Preclinical and H, NH, P, F Clinical
- Worse Reputation

Members don't see this ad.

My opinions:
Both schools won't have issues with you matching where you want to be. You've nailed the big question. Is the TOTAL debt you accrue at Iowa worth the research at CCLCM? I'm not sure you have an "opportunity cost" problem; it's the Cleveland Clinic. On the other hand, a 32-person class (that is part of a larger CWRU cohort, by the way) is a unique model of mentoring/advising.

I presume both schools will give you opportunities to work in their home university systems (for CCLCM, it would be both CC and their University hospital), a VA system, and a safety net hospital.

If you were more enthusiastic about primary care, I'd say Iowa. But if you are still shopping or need help with specialties, CCLCM seems better to give yourself some time to figure that out at no additional cost. And many people emphasize the advantage of minimal grading.

Reactions: 1 user
The way you wrote your pros/cons seems to favor Iowa quite a bit. I interviewed (rejected after, so no conflict here) at CCLCM and had the same concerns about the research year and all the other research requirements (I don't mind research, but I don't love it that much either). I'll echo what Mr Smile said that if you're thinking primary care or something less competitive, go Iowa and save yourself a year and a bunch of time not doing research. If you're sure you want to derm or nsg or something, then CCLCM may be worth considering more.