120 on step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

math123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am really worried about passing step 1 . I am really lacking in fundamentals bec I was really burnt out when I went to med school and did not try that hard. I failed 5 classes and barely passed the rest. I go to a us md school. At this point I am satisfied to pass and if lucky maybe even score 210 or higher. Based on a mock exam given I scored a 120. I am really bad at memorization and I really can not just memorize first aid. So for a person who lacks a lot of basics like me I was planning on watching boards and beyond, pathoma, costanzo, and sketchy. Do you think boards and beyond has enough info( it's biochem, genetics, pharm, and some other sections are really short) to pass the test. I am happy doing family Ned anywhere in the country and I think that is doable to do as amg if I just pass this test even with so many past course failures. Do you think so as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I am really worried about passing step 1 . I am really lacking in fundamentals bec I was really burnt out when I went to med school and did not try that hard. I failed 5 classes and barely passed the rest. I go to a us md school. At this point I am satisfied to pass and if lucky maybe even score 210 or higher. Based on a mock exam given I scored a 120. I am really bad at memorization and I really can not just memorize first aid. So for a person who lacks a lot of basics like me I was planning on watching boards and beyond, pathoma, costanzo, and sketchy. Do you think boards and beyond has enough info( it's biochem, genetics, pharm, and some other sections are really short) to pass the test. I am happy doing family Ned anywhere in the country and I think that is doable to do as amg if I just pass this test even with so many past course failures. Do you think so as well?

Lol, this isn't even a good troll.

Reactions: 2 users
Lol, this isn't even a good troll.
But in the case it's not, this person should heavily consider reaching out to their dean. No way my school would even consider letting me take step if I failed 5 classes. I'm pretty sure failing 2 classes forces someone to retake that year..

Thank you for the responses. This post might seem like it is untrue but it is true, that is how bad my situation is. In regards to the failed classes, these are classes that I have failed in first and second year combined, and I have remediated all of them ( but htye shouw as F/P on trasncript). I am not trying to "troll" anyone, I respect the SDN community and all I am looking for is some help. Do you guys think my study plan and resources I listed is enough for me to at least pass.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the responses. This post might seem like it is untrue but it is true, that is how bad my situation is. In regards to the failed classes, these are classes that I have failed in first and second year combined, and I have remediated all of them ( but htye shouw as F/P on trasncript). I am not trying to "troll" anyone, I respect the SDN community and all I am looking for is some help. Do you guys think my study plan and resources I listed is enough for me to at least pass.
How long do you have? I suggest using Boards and Beyond, reviewing for at least 2 months and taking notes. Watch the videos over the course of 2 months. Pathoma substituted. Only after that should you think about taking the exam.

You should probably see if they'd let you do the year over at the very least. A 120 means that you legitimately learned nothing in school. Or take a research year or something and study for step if that's an option.

A 120->192 is a pretty gigantic jump, let alone a 120->210+...

You should probably see if they'd let you do the year over at the very least. A 120 means that you legitimately learned nothing in school. Or take a research year or something and study for step if that's an option.

A 120->192 is a pretty gigantic jump, let alone a 120->210+...
Do you think if I just focous on learning boards and beyond my score can improve to at least passing. Kaplan seems to include more information but I do not have time for kaplan. Boards and beyond seems to be lacking in some stuff like anatomy or histology, but I really do not have time for anything else. I asked for an extension and now I have about 2 months to study. I am planning on only using boards and beyond and pathoma and learning those 2 sources really well. I am not even planning on using first aid becuase that seems like just a bunch of facts and hopefully by doing boards and beyond and pathoma I cover most of what is in first aid. Do you think by doing this I can pass step 1 or do you think boards and beyond is too basic.

I don't know where you go, but at my school failing 2 classes results in remediating a year; failing a third class (be it that same or next year) results in expulsion. Are you an IMG or an AMG?

Do you think if I just focous on learning boards and beyond my score can improve to at least passing. Kaplan seems to include more information but I do not have time for kaplan. Boards and beyond seems to be lacking in some stuff like anatomy or histology, but I really do not have time for anything else. I asked for an extension and now I have about 2 months to study. I am planning on only using boards and beyond and pathoma and learning those 2 sources really well. I am not even planning on using first aid becuase that seems like just a bunch of facts and hopefully by doing boards and beyond and pathoma I cover most of what is in first aid. Do you think by doing this I can pass step 1 or do you think boards and beyond is too basic.
You are NOT passing without FA/UWorld. Period.

It's not the resource that's the issue. It's your knowledge base. I started at a 174 on my CBSE in late feb. I was flagged by my school as a failure risk and had to meet with academic support etc. My last practice test was a 211. I can say that it took a metric ton of work to get there and I still have a plethora of stuff to go before I can get where I want to be in the next few weeks.

At a 120, you are legitimately at a level most folks finishing first year would be, if not below that. You could probably get a 150 or so with just biochem, immuno, micro, and basic pharm... which are all first year classes at my institution.

It's not that you don't know the basics or have a solid foundation. You're legitimately trying to make a castle in the sky with NO foundation. Boards and beyond is awesome, but do you think you can learn and retain everything from it in the span of a couple of months? I definitely think there's enough info in BnB and pathoma to help one pass and do well if you're doing UWorld. I just don't see how you can make it work.

I think you'd be doing yourself a colossal disservice by trying to take this exam this year. Suck up whatever pride you have and decelerate if you can. Otherwise, you're going to be taking an extra year anyway because you failed step. A 120 to a 192 is a friggin gigantic jump.

What does academic support at your school have to say to help guide you?

Reactions: 1 user
I am taking a 1 year leave of absence. I will be studying for step 1 and doing some research part time but not a lot. With my 5 past failures and loa what are my chances of getting some family med residency if I pass step 1( in 190s) and step 2 and pass clerk ships. I am trying to do better than pass but I just want to predict my worst chances would be

I am taking a 1 year leave of absence. I will be studying for step 1 and doing some research part time but not a lot. With my 5 past failures and loa what are my chances of getting some family med residency if I pass step 1( in 190s) and step 2 and pass clerk ships. I am trying to do better than pass but I just want to predict my worst chances would be
If you pass step1 (first attempt), you will get a FM or IM residency somewhere, but it won't be on the hot spots (the coastal cities)...

If you're taking a 1 year leave of absence, why don't you just go with kaplan to build a strong base and then UFAP? You could probably get to a score much higher than just a pass with all this and 1 year is more than enough time to do all this even if you're doing some research alongside.