100K to pick up garbage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

urge

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
When I was 4 years old my next door neighbor Lamar (Bummar as I pronounced it) was a garbage man. I thought he had the coolest job because he got to ride on the back of a truck and collect all sorts of treasures he'd pile between our houses. I still remember the push/reel lawnmower he gave me. I thought that's what I wanted to do when I grew up. Who'd have thought I could make more than a pediatrician doing that sweet gig.

Members don't see this ad :)
LIFE'S TOUGH FOR $144,000 GARBAGE COLLECTORS
http://www.wnd.com/2011/01/253645/

How much should our fair salary be?
The titles are of course misleading. The total comp & bene for the worker is on average $144k. That does not mean they are taking home that amount. Also include the inflated COL of NYC and the take home pay probably isn't that shocking for a union employee. I knew people in Detroit, before the meltdown, that were taking home $150k as Union guys in the factory. They too started out as unskilled.

Behold the powers of a strong union and a weak business/government.

They deserve it. It's hard work. We can sit on our asses and collect more than 8k in a weekend in New Hampshire.

Reactions: 1 users
When I was 4 years old my next door neighbor Lamar (Bummar as I pronounced it) was a garbage man. I thought he had the coolest job because he got to ride on the back of a truck and collect all sorts of treasures he'd pile between our houses. I still remember the push/reel lawnmower he gave me. I thought that's what I wanted to do when I grew up. Who'd have thought I could make more than a pediatrician doing that sweet gig.

I thought the same way when I was around 5 or 6. Of course, my mom slapped me upside the head and goes "I didn't raise you to be a trash man, here go take the trash out and go do the same for the entire neighborhood and come back and tell me you think it's a good job"

No joke. Never said that again lol

Reactions: 1 user
No one gets paid what they "deserve" ... they get paid what market forces dictate is the least that can be offered to get enough people to do the job. (Absent government intervention, e.g. minimum wage laws.)

Athletes with felony convictions and restraining orders from their battered ex-girlfriends get paid $millions. Special ed teachers shop the thrift stores. The world isn't fair. If your sense of self worth or job satisfaction depends on what other people earn at jobs you think are easy, hard, important, trivial, lame, or cool then you're in for a lifetime of heartburn.

We're pretty fortunate to have a cool job, with real impact on others' lives. It has generally positive prestige (though it sure ain't the 1950s any more) and pays us moderately large gobs of money. Don't be upset because the guy who drives by your curb every Tuesday morning is earning a good living.

Reactions: 6 users
One of my mentors said something to this effect - "if I could get paid 300k/y to stand on my head or stack boxes working 36h/wk, I'd do it - that's why I'm in EM." (Maybe should have had a better mentor, lol)

Anyone who thinks medicine is a calling or their purpose in life will be let down. Get your lovin' at home. Medicine is a job. As far as jobs go, medicine ain't bad. They won't pay you to drink beer and watch college football, but if you can get paid 6 figures, use your brain at work and help people, it's a good setup.

Reactions: 1 users