1 vs 2 gap years? (Help me make a major life decision plz)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shebaq

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I recently decided on two gap years, but as of recent i've had the mentality of just applying this year & taking one gap year.

My story: Ivy undergrad, bad freshman yr grades, started an upward trend, horrible circumstances caused me to ruin a whole year(my junior yr: Sexual Assault), struggled with depression, essentially got straight C's for the year. Current GPA: around 2.8, with all prereqs completed. Science gpa is probably around a 2.5. I'm now in the fall of my senior year, with yet to take the MCAT, trying to decide what to do. I've been told by some to ace the MCAT and just apply, i originally was thinking of working/doing an informal postbac post-grad. I would be applying to both MD&DO schools, but leaning towards DO (doesnt make a difference to me).

Any advice is appreciated:) thank youuu

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I recently decided on two gap years, but as of recent i've had the mentality of just applying this year & taking one gap year.

My story: Ivy undergrad, bad freshman yr grades, started an upward trend, horrible circumstances caused me to ruin a whole year(my junior yr: Sexual Assault), struggled with depression, essentially got straight C's for the year. Current GPA: around 2.8, with all prereqs completed. Science gpa is probably around a 2.5. I'm now in the fall of my senior year, with yet to take the MCAT, trying to decide what to do. I've been told by some to ace the MCAT and just apply, i originally was thinking of working/doing an informal postbac post-grad. I would be applying to both MD&DO schools, but leaning towards DO (doesnt make a difference to me).

Since it seems like you are fairly new to this site, I'll start off by saying, take what everyone says with a grain of salt. Some people on here will try to discourage you, and it will only make you feel more depressed. I'm not an expert, but I've read these boards on & off and have asked questions for the last year to two years, while trying to figure out my own journey.

You sound like you are trying to rush. Biggest advice: DON'T. Everyone has their own path, and it is okay to take more time than others to figure out what you want to do. You need to fix your mistakes and make sure you are prepared and ready for this path; only you will know if/when you are.

First thing you need to do is to be mentally healthy again. So whatever that takes, hobbies, healthy relationships w/ friends & family, taking classes and doing well in those classes, working part-time, research, volunteering, traveling, etc... Think about if this is the right career path for you and why? I've personally juggled Ph.D, MPH, PA, and DO programs for about 3 years before I decided on DO being my final route.

Secondly, you need to re-take your courses. AACOMAS (DO programs) does grade replacement. You should re-take all grades below a B, especially any pre-reqs. You can even re-take this at a local school or community college (for DO, MD's don't really like CC credits) as long as it is the same credits as your previous course you are trying to replace. Unfortunately, I doubt you'll get into a MD program with your current GPA and sGPA. Some of the DO programs won't even look at you if you have under a 3.2 GPA. So you need to re-take all those C's. You need to get that GPA up by re-taking and receiving A's in all those courses. 1 to 2 years of re-takes, and you'll be able to boost that GPA right back up to a competitive GPA. You need to prove to MD/DO programs that you are serious about it, and you may need a 2 to 3 year GAP "year" to get everything in order.

1. Do you have volunteering, shadowing, good ECs, any hobbies/clubs you are extremely passionate about? Good letters of recommendations?
  2. Are you URM (Underrepresented in medicine)?

Don't waste your money applying early when you are not prepared. You are probably still pretty young. Take the time off to re-take classes, volunteer, and improve your resume so you have a better chance of getting in. :) :)

Bring that cGPA up above a 3.2, and bring that science GPA up as high as you can. It's going to be the most important factor. I'd imagine for MD programs you would need something much more competitive GPA wise, especially since they do not do grade replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Since it seems like you are fairly new to this site, I'll start off by saying, take what everyone says with a grain of salt. Some people on here will try to discourage you, and it will only make you feel more depressed. I'm not an expert, but I've read these boards on & off and have asked questions for the last year to two years, while trying to figure out my own journey.

You sound like you are trying to rush. Biggest advice: DON'T. Everyone has their own path, and it is okay to take more time than others to figure out what you want to do. You need to fix your mistakes and make sure you are prepared and ready for this path; only you will know if/when you are.

First thing you need to do is to be mentally healthy again. So whatever that takes, hobbies, healthy relationships w/ friends & family, taking classes and doing well in those classes, working part-time, research, volunteering, traveling, etc... Think about if this is the right career path for you and why? I've personally juggled Ph.D, MPH, PA, and DO programs for about 3 years before I decided on DO being my final route.

Secondly, you need to re-take your courses. AACOMAS (DO programs) does grade replacement. You should re-take all grades below a B, especially any pre-reqs. You can even re-take this at a local school or community college (for DO, MD's don't really like CC credits) as long as it is the same credits as your previous course you are trying to replace. Unfortunately, I doubt you'll get into a MD program with your current GPA and sGPA. Some of the DO programs won't even look at you if you have under a 3.2 GPA. So you need to re-take all those C's. You need to get that GPA up by re-taking and receiving A's in all those courses. 1 to 2 years of re-takes, and you'll be able to boost that GPA right back up to a competitive GPA. You need to prove to MD/DO programs that you are serious about it, and you may need a 2 to 3 year GAP "year" to get everything in order.

1. Do you have volunteering, shadowing, good ECs, any hobbies/clubs you are extremely passionate about? Good letters of recommendations?
  2. Are you URM (Underrepresented in medicine)?

Don't waste your money applying early when you are not prepared. You are probably still pretty young. Take the time off to re-take classes, volunteer, and improve your resume so you have a better chance of getting in. :) :)

Bring that cGPA up above a 3.2, and bring that science GPA up as high as you can. It's going to be the most important factor. I'd imagine for MD programs you would need something much more competitive GPA wise, especially since they do not do grade replacement.

Thank you so much! That was most definitely the best advice i've been given, much appreciated:)
To answer your questions: Yes, i am a URM, and i think i have pretty solid EC's, lots of cancer research experience, ect. But now i think i will take those two years :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

My opinion: A 2.8cGPA and 2.5sGPA are not competitive for M.D or D.O. Ivy school isn't going to matter, nor is your URM status. The MCAT is what they use to place people on a level field who attend different colleges. They will not inflate your GPA because you go to Yale (example). You're going to have to retake your courses and get B's at minimum (really you'll need As). I agree your at the forget about M.D route even with URM status (maybe some sort of post-bacc could save you). D.O will be possible if you excel when grade replacing and especially if your MCAT comes together nicely. Others with experience in SMP programs or other master's programs designed to get you into medical school may be able to chime in. That's something I'd also consider heavily. Applying now will only reduce your chances (not to mention be a complete waste of money) at future acceptance because you'll be a re-applicant. Last of all, acing the MCAT isn't something that just happens even with adequate preparation. It's nothing like the SAT, and your not competing against a bunch of undisciplined highschoolers. Your competition will generally be some of the brighter college students (after most others have been weeded out for doing poorly in their pre-reqs). Anyways, good luck.

Concretely: Grade replace, consider post-bacc programs, take your time studying for the MCAT, and establish a desirable plan C

Last edited:
Listen to @arc5005 word for word.

I was in the same situation as you (going through some very traumatizing personal issues as well), and I pretty much followed the advice that is laid out in Arc's post. I will be going to med school next year.

Take your time, gather yourself together, and then attack everything. The top isn't going anywhere... You'll get there. It's not a matter of if... just when! Good luck!