Tough decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The REAL Doc McStuffins

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I need help making a tough decision. I recently got accepted into a masters program with an unofficial linkage with an MD program in my home state. With this 2-year program, I would be taking med school classes as well as a Kaplan course to improve my MCAT score. As long as I do well in the program, I would get an interview and hopefully start med school. But I’m torn because I just got an interview invite for a DO school that ghosted me for months lol so idk what to do. If everything goes well and I end up getting into the DO school, should I do that instead of the MD linkage? I’m already 26 and I don’t really want to keep pushing this back.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There are a lot of If's in the first and the later you will know after your interview.
You don't want to push back, and also you will be paying a lot of money for the masters.
Make the decision based on what's best for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. So I need help making a tough decision. I recently got accepted into a masters program with an unofficial linkage with an MD program in my home state. With this 2-year program, I would be taking med school classes as well as a Kaplan course to improve my MCAT score. As long as I do well in the program, I would get an interview and hopefully start med school. But I’m torn because I just got an interview invite for a DO school that ghosted me for months lol so idk what to do. If everything goes well and I end up getting into the DO school, should I do that instead of the MD linkage? I’m already 26 and I don’t really want to keep pushing this back.
Do you want to be a doctor or do you want to potentially be a doctor? If you turn down the DO offer then youre showing poor decision making skills.

I get the temptation of "Oh well maybe I could get into this MD school after my linkage" but what is the matriculation of this linkage program? If it isnt 100% then you need to take what is with the DO route.

Reactions: 2 users
Unless I misread your post, you have an interview at the DO school, not an actual acceptance, correct? In that case, you've created a false choice between the options. I would do the following:

1. Attend the DO interview and do your best
2. Wait until the last minute to accept the seat/pay the deposit at the master's program - but if you don't have an acceptance to the DO school in hand, assume you'll be moving forward with the master's

If you get accepted to the DO school, go with that, but if not, then you have the master's program.

Edit: Accept that this might mean losing the deposit at the master's program.

Reactions: 4 users
You might pay for a useless masters if you don't matriculate to the MD school. I recommended a student from our local Pre Med mill, star lacrosse player,3.7 Chem major to our post back and they didn't make rhe cut for admission. Go to the interview, take the A if it comes. It it doesn't go to masters and make it happen.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users