Which optometry schools require mock exams before letting students take the Board Exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1ws

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am applying this cycle and wonder if any of you know about this topic. I am ranking some optometry schools, and one of my advisors tell me that some optometry schools require students to pass some mock exams before letting students take the Board Exams. I wouldn't say I like this idea and want to avoid such schools.

My school list is UOH, UIW, NECO, MCPHS, Berkeley, and SCCO.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m not sure the answer to your question, but why would you want to avoid schools that do have these mock exams. If anything it would be a plus to have mock exams, it would better prepare you for boards.

Reactions: 1 users
I think using the Mock as a way to gauge one's ability to pass is super helpful so as to not waste money. Board registration fee has increased to $1,000+ fyi.

Salus offers a mock exam, but the traditional program does not dictate whether you can take Part 1 in March of 3rd year or not. But their stats show that there is almost a 90% chance of you passing Part 1 on your first attempt if you pass their mock 1 month before the real exam.

Reactions: 1 user