What should I take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RyuKenli

UofA Pre-Opt Student
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm an Pre-Opt student at University of Arkansas. I was wondering what pre-requisities did you guys follow whenever you applied to Optometry school? I know Berkeley requires more than SCO. Two Organic Chemistry courses vs 1.
Did the extra courses really help you on the OAT? Thanks for your input.

SCO Course Sequence

Berkeley

William

Members don't see this ad.

RyuKenli said:
Hi,

I'm an Pre-Opt student at University of Arkansas. I was wondering what pre-requisities did you guys follow whenever you applied to Optometry school? I know Berkeley requires more than SCO. Two Organic Chemistry courses vs 1.

SCO Course Sequence

Berkeley

William

I would make a list of all of the schools that you would consider applying to. Next, make a list of the prereqs required by each school, and then combine the lists by eliminating duplicates. What's left is what you should take. Regarding the OAT, the more classes you take, the more background you will have that MIGHT help you with the OAT. Taking two classes in O.Chem vs. one is not guaranteed to raise your score, but it certainly will help. I never had the slightest desire to go to Berkeley, and I hated O.Chem, so the decision to take one class vs. two wasn't very hard for me! Try to pick a few schools that you like and make sure you have the right classes to get into each. If you are at a point where you still have no clue where you want to end up, take the most extensive prereqs needed (probably Berkeley) and then you should be set for most of the other schools! Good luck!

That's a good idea for choosing pre-reqs. As for the 2 semester O-chem, I say definitely go for it. I know it's a lot of work, and it seems boring at times(or always :rolleyes: ), but it's worth it in the end. I haven't taken the OAT yet, but in all my practicing the major concepts for the O-chem portion were all reinforced everyday during second semester O-chem.

Members don't see this ad :)
RyuKenli said:
Hi,

SCO Course Sequence

Berkeley

William

If you don't need ochem 2 for a pre-req, then I wouldn't bother taking it at all unless you want to. I have taken 3 ochems, but I only used my notes from ochem 1 to study for the OAT.

I would take the first O chem and see how it goes then decide if i want to take a 2nd O chem. Im not a particular fan of Ochem, and Ive done 2 courses in it... had I known I only needed one I would never have taken the 2nd course. I would just rather focus on taking another pre-req or boosting my gpa. But if you do well and like O chem I'd say for for the 2nd one as well.

I would suggest to take as many prerequesites and recommanded classes as you can since they will only help you in preparing for optometry school better. And when you are in optometry school it wouldn't be as hard since you have taken alot of the core classes, like microbiology, some schools require it and others don't but alot of optometry schools have it the first year so it would be better to take it now. Hope this helps and good luck.

Thank you for the advice. I'm taking Micro and Organic next semester, wish me good luck. :eek: