WAMC/School List - 3.92, 511, VA Resident (possible reapplicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

easy-opposite

Reaction score
WAMC/school list suggestions

changes from last year’s application in bold
  1. cGPA: 3.92, sGPA: 3.85
  2. MCAT: 511 (127/126/128/130)
  3. State of residence: VA
  4. Race/ethnicity: white
  5. Undergrad: T30 undergrad
  6. Clinical: ~800 hours paid clinical as therapy tech/CNA, ~230 hours volunteer clinical in academic medical center (peds, cardiology, admin), upcoming year will be spent as a clinical research coordinator again (predicted 2000 hours)
  7. Research: ~100 hours R/Matlab and Fiji/ImageJ work with BME PhD candidate, past year spent as Clinical Research Coordinator (~2000 hours, categorizing as research on application last year - would add I am now the lead CRC and one of the top enrolling sites in the nation on my studies)
  8. Shadowing: ~60 hours (inpatient and outpatient peds, inpatient and outpatient PM&R, medical genetics, added ~20 hours cath lab/hybrid OR interventional cardiology and cardiac surgery)
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: ~550 hours walking dogs at animal shelter (added ~100 hours)
  10. Leadership: co-chair of large university club, lead CRC of top enrolling trials and trainer for new CRCs
  11. Anything else not listed you think might be important: adding various jobs to activities/work section: manager on duty at summer pool, starbucks barista, sports instructor
  12. LORs: getting 2-3 more, one from my PI
2022-2023 school list and results:
EVMS (R)
VCU (II —> WL)
UVA (R)
University of Maryland (Pre-II hold —> R)
GWU (Pre-II hold —> R)
Georgetown (R)
SKMC/Jefferson (R)
Drexel (Pre-II hold —> R)
Temple (II —> WL)
WVU (Pre-II hold —> II —> WL)
Wake Forest (R)
Penn State (Pre-II hold —> R)
Hackensack Meridian (ghost)
NYMC (Pre-II hold —> R)
Quinnipiac University (R)
Albany (R)
Geisinger (R)
Vermont (R)
Wayne State (R)
OUWB (II —> WL)
University of Minnesota-Minneapolis (R)

Can someone suggest any changes to my school list in the case that I need to re-apply? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I love dogs too, but what is your service orientation community service activity with humans experiencing distress outside a health context?
None. I’m currently looking for volunteer opportunities related to this though, thanks for the suggestion

Members don't see this ad :)
None. I’m currently looking for volunteer opportunities related to this though, thanks for the suggestion
Just noting this. You will need at least 150 hours documented before applying to avoid getting screened out, which is what I suspect happened with EVMS, GW, Georgetown, and UVA.

Food distribution, shelter volunteering, job placement services, transportation services, and housing rehabilitation is preferred. Avoid more tutoring and anything that could be clinically adjacent because you already have a ton of clinical-related stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Work on interview skills as well and getting service hours in the areas Mr. Smile suggested. If you do not get off the waitlist, I suggest:

EVMS
VCU
UVA
VTech
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
WVU
Wake Forest
Penn State
NYMC
Quinnipiac
Albany
Vermont
Wayne State
OUWB
Rosalind Franklin
Tufts
Creighton
MCW
Nova MD
TCU
SLU
Hackensack

Add some DO schools too if you end up as a reapplicant:

VCOM
PCOM
DMU
Marian
KCU
LECOM
Campbell
KCOM

Reactions: 1 users
Just noting this. You will need at least 150 hours documented before applying to avoid getting screened out, which is what I suspect happened with EVMS, GW, Georgetown, and UVA.

Food distribution, shelter volunteering, job placement services, transportation services, and housing rehabilitation is preferred. Avoid more tutoring and anything that could be clinically adjacent because you already have a ton of clinical-related stuff.
I forgot about this until now. I actually have 160 hours working with an organization that supports people with Parkinson’s and the Michael J Fox foundation. I just listed it on my application as leadership (I was one of the chairs of the org). So I don’t think the <150 hours screening me out makes sense. Unless this doesn’t count as community service