WAMC: (3.67uGPA, 4.0gGPA 516); FL Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    1. 3.67uGPA (Chemical Engineering), 4.00gGPA (Masters in Medical Science), 3.72sGPA
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts.
    1. 516 (131/129/128/128)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. FL
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. Brazilian (I believe I am Latino however this is controversial)
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. University of Florida, University of South Florida (graduate school)
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. 100 Hrs Hospital Volunteer (with patients and staff)
    2. 200 Hrs Scribe/Translator Private Practice: scribe but also interact with patients for communication in Spanish and Portuguese (primary patient population)
    3. Planning to volunteer as a MA at a Free Community (2-3 days/week) after my masters concludes in august.
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. 200 Hours Research (Nanomedicine in two different labs); 1 Coauthor from an Abstract Competition
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 50 Hours shadowing wide array
    2. Scribe for a pediatrician (same as above)
    3. 60 Hours Medical Mission Trip: observe local doctors and learn more about global health disparities
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 100 Hours Community Volunteer Tampa (food service, childcare, food bank)
    2. 150 hours Dance Marathon Captain multiple years: focused on planning/executing events to raise awareness of Pediatric Illness(not sure this counts)
    3. 100 hours Camp Counselor
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. Fraternity Executive Board Member 3 years (multiple positions): develop study groups to increase GPA, Started yearly philanthropy raising funds to a local org that supports women who have been sex trafficked (provide housing food job),
    2. Multicultural Diversity Association Ambassador (summer job 2021)
    3. Adelante Peer leader: Leader for Hispanic and Latino Students Association Initiative welcoming and introducing new students to UF
    4. PepsiCo Internship (summer job 2022)
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Florida Blue Key Member
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. My uGPA my start of junior year was a 3.2 and I graduated with a 3.67 so major upward trend.
    2. Started my Masters right after undergrad as I was not planning to do medicine until spring of my senior year. (finished prereqs summer after my planned graduation then started masters the next week)
    3. Trilingual
Tentative List:

Members don't see this ad.

List:

University of Florida
University of South Florida
Florida State University
Florida Atlantic University
University of Central Florida
University of Miami
Florida International University
University of North Carolina
U of Arizona at Phoenix
Emory University
University of Arizona COM
Georgetown
University of Hawaii
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
U of South Carolina - greenville
TCU
Loma Linda
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
LSU New Orleans
Tulane
University of Arkansas
U of Colorado SOM
University of Tenessee

My only suggestion is 50 more hours with Community Volunteer Tampa. 150 total hours at the time of submission is a minimum threshold for most schools. Of course, this advice may change depending on details of your other activities.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
North Carolina, Hawaii, South Carolina, LSU, Arkansas and Tennessee admit few non residents with no connection to the state. Georgetown is looking for far more clinical and non clinical hours than you have. You could add these schools:
Carle Illinois (you fit their mission)
NOVA MD
Virginia Commonwealth
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Boston University
Tufts
Dartmouth
Brown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin

My only suggestion is 50 more hours with Community Volunteer Tampa. 150 total hours at the time of submission is a minimum threshold for most schools. Of course, this advice may change depending on details of your other activities.
At the end of the summer I move back to orlando with family to continue my translating/scribe work so I do not think I could get 50 more hours before or after applying. I am most likely going to start volunteering with a literacy non profit and tutor on my off days

North Carolina, Hawaii, South Carolina, LSU, Arkansas and Tennessee admit few non residents with no connection to the state. Georgetown is looking for far more clinical and non clinical hours than you have. You could add these schools:
Carle Illinois (you fit their mission)
NOVA MD
Virginia Commonwealth
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Boston University
Tufts
Dartmouth
Brown
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
I appreciate the suggestions! I wanted a little bit of clarification on some of these schools as I have done my research on a couple.

LSU -> my internship with Pepsico was in Baton Rouge so I lived in the state for 3 months and had a great time/built connections to people who now live in Louisiana is that something worth bringing up?

Einstein -> Do you think with the now free tuition that more people will be applying there and thus the average applicant will be higher stated

Brown, Mount Sinai, Hofstra-> I feel like I am plain understated for these schools considering the Out of State Acceptance Medians, Do you think I need more reaches or is there something unique about these schools I am not seeing

At the end of the summer I move back to orlando with family to continue my translating/scribe work so I do not think I could get 50 more hours before or after applying. I am most likely going to start volunteering with a literacy non profit and tutor on my off days
Complete as many hours as you can, and submit your application before July 4. At worst, be in position to have those hours should you reapply next year.

I appreciate the suggestions! I wanted a little bit of clarification on some of these schools as I have done my research on a couple.

LSU -> my internship with Pepsico was in Baton Rouge so I lived in the state for 3 months and had a great time/built connections to people who now live in Louisiana is that something worth bringing up?

Einstein -> Do you think with the now free tuition that more people will be applying there and thus the average applicant will be higher stated

Brown, Mount Sinai, Hofstra-> I feel like I am plain understated for these schools considering the Out of State Acceptance Medians, Do you think I need more reaches or is there something unique about these schools I am not seeing
LSU only admits ~16 non residents per year and some of those attended undergraduate school in Louisiana, are former residents, legacies, etc. .
Einstein now has free tuition so will be very competitive. You could try Brown, Hofstra and Mount Sinai.