USMLE/COMLEX Exams

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

I’m general when do medical students take all and each of USMLE and COMLEX exams during medical school? Is there a deadline date medical students must take exams by? Also how our those exams compared to MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m general when do medical students take all and each of USMLE and COMLEX exams during medical school? Is there a deadline date medical students must take exams by? Also how our those exams compared to MCAT?

Usually after second year. Many schools are making the push for step 1 after third year.

Deadlines are usually set by your school. For example, you dont need a step 2 CK score to apply for residency, but my school requires it before the end of september. However, step 1/comlex level 1 are a must to apply for residency.

The MCAT is a joke comparatively.

Usually after second year. Many schools are making the push for step 1 after third year.

Deadlines are usually set by your school. For example, you dont need a step 2 CK score to apply for residency, but my school requires it before the end of september. However, step 1/comlex level 1 are a must to apply for residency.

The MCAT is a joke comparatively.
What you mean MCAT is a joke comparatively

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the MCAT was very tough.

Step 1 is a knowledge based test - if you grind, you'll be fine I've heard.

Yeah, it is knowledged based. It is based on a lot of information and the whole exam is higher order questions.

Yeah, it is knowledged based. It is based on a lot of information and the whole exam is higher order questions.
I just hope I can master it somewhat, bc I can't let what happened on MCAT repeat itself.

My school wants students to take COMLEX before rotations, because our preceptors don't like them doing Board studying during clinical training.

My school wants students to take COMLEX before rotations, because our preceptors don't like them doing Board studying during clinical training.
Pretty sure my school we can't move onto rotations until we pass Level 1

Reactions: 1 user

USMLE / COMLEX:
Step 1 / Level 1 - typically done after basic sciences (after 2nd year), but as ciestar said, many schools are transitioning to taking it in mid-3rd year
Step 2 CK / Level 2 CE - typically done after 3rd year, usually by fall/winter of 4th year as many residency programs want to see results for interviews or ranking
Step 2 CS / Level 2 PE - typically also done by the fall of 4th year for similar reasons, but tends not to be a requirement for interviews. There is a lot of variation in this though, as some schools do this in late 3rd year, some just have to do it before they graduate, etc.

All 3 of these exams must be completed before graduation and before starting residency as they are requirements for graduation from US MD or DO schools. DOs can opt to take both the USMLE and COMLEX in order to be more competitive in residencies.

I agree with what ciestar said regarding Step 1 as compared to MCAT. It is a much harder exam covering a much greater breadth of material. Step 2 can be just as hard, but it might also be fine if you have good 3rd year experiences and study throughout the year (I found Step 2 to be much easier than Step 1).

USMLE / COMLEX:
Step 1 / Level 1 - typically done after basic sciences (after 2nd year), but as ciestar said, many schools are transitioning to taking it in mid-3rd year
Step 2 CK / Level 2 CE - typically done after 3rd year, usually by fall/winter of 4th year as many residency programs want to see results for interviews or ranking
Step 2 CS / Level 2 PE - typically also done by the fall of 4th year for similar reasons, but tends not to be a requirement for interviews. There is a lot of variation in this though, as some schools do this in late 3rd year, some just have to do it before they graduate, etc.

All 3 of these exams must be completed before graduation and before starting residency as they are requirements for graduation from US MD or DO schools. DOs can opt to take both the USMLE and COMLEX in order to be more competitive in residencies.

I agree with what ciestar said regarding Step 1 as compared to MCAT. It is a much harder exam covering a much greater breadth of material. Step 2 can be just as hard, but it might also be fine if you have good 3rd year experiences and study throughout the year (I found Step 2 to be much easier than Step 1).

I did too. Third year was good for me and it reflects well in my score for CK compared to step 1

I saw this thread this morning and just got my step back. I studied for the mcat for months and took it twice. I got a 504 on my retake and got lucky to get that high. I got in the 250s on step 1.

Step 1 is definitely harder. Saying you just have to grind is the understatement of the century. But you’ve also got a curriculum geared toward passing it and much better resources than what the mcat had.

I really don’t think the two exams have much in common at all tbh, but that’s just my unpopular opinion.

Reactions: 1 users