UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@TexasMedic15 @ItsTimeToRanchItUp
So I got back my first MCAT scores today. Unfortunately, I only did average on it. I'm contemplating whether or not this program would benefit me, since I read on many threads that SMPs are only for those with low GPAs and a solid MCAT. I have acceptable GPAs (3.5+ for cGPA and sGPA and 3.7+ GPA for last 60 hours)
I also have pretty average ECs. I was a waiter from my sophomore year to graduation (24-26 hours per week). I have 200+ hours of clinical volunteering, 100 hours of non-clinical volunteering, 50 hours shadowing 4 doctors, and 2 years of research for which I received a grant and a fellowship.

I know I will have to retake the MCAT somewhere down the road. I'm trying to decide if I should take another gap year and devout my time into studying and strengthening ECs or if I should attend UNT if accepted.

Thanks for your time. Your opinions and suggestions would be highly appreciated!

They do have an MCAT workshop, so maybe you could benefit from that? And if you do score average on your retake, I would imagine it would look better if you were in the program than not. Just my two cents though.

Members don't see this ad.

@TexasMedic15 @ItsTimeToRanchItUp
So I got back my first MCAT scores today. Unfortunately, I only did average on it. I'm contemplating whether or not this program would benefit me, since I read on many threads that SMPs are only for those with low GPAs and a solid MCAT. I have acceptable GPAs (3.5+ for cGPA and sGPA and 3.7+ GPA for last 60 hours)
I also have pretty average ECs. I was a waiter from my sophomore year to graduation (24-26 hours per week). I have 200+ hours of clinical volunteering, 100 hours of non-clinical volunteering, 50 hours shadowing 4 doctors, and 2 years of research for which I received a grant and a fellowship.

I know I will have to retake the MCAT somewhere down the road. I'm trying to decide if I should take another gap year and devout my time into studying and strengthening ECs or if I should attend UNT if accepted.

Thanks for your time. Your opinions and suggestions would be highly appreciated!

It's honestly hard to say. If you do really well in this program then your application can only improve, but if you do poorly then obviously you'll have a tougher chance getting in the next time you apply. That said, doing well in this program will help you a lot more when you apply after the program than when you're in it.

Your clinical volunteering hours are pretty good, but you could probably use some more non-clinical and shadowing hours. 50 hours between 4 doctors isn't bad, but it's not superb either. Neither is 100 hours of non-clinical volunteer over 4 years of college. Everyone who goes through this program is expected to shadow 1 physician for AT LEAST 40 hours.

If you're open to the idea of applying OOS DO then I'd definitely recommend it with an "average" MCAT. If anything, this program sets you up pretty well with other DO schools. A good number of people who got into a Texas school this year also applied to out of state MD and DO schools. It's good practice for interviews and you might at least have a backup option for going to med school somewhere if Texas doesn't pan out. Might not be a popular idea to you right now, but just give it some thought.

Only thing else I can tell you is to restudy for your MCAT and crush it, but you probably already know that.

Do you guys think it's too late for me to apply here ?

3.2 GPA, 3.4 last 60 hours, 494 MCAT.

Also, is a personal statement required?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
It's honestly hard to say. If you do really well in this program then your application can only improve, but if you do poorly then obviously you'll have a tougher chance getting in the next time you apply. That said, doing well in this program will help you a lot more when you apply after the program than when you're in it.

Your clinical volunteering hours are pretty good, but you could probably use some more non-clinical and shadowing hours. 50 hours between 4 doctors isn't bad, but it's not superb either. Neither is 100 hours of non-clinical volunteer over 4 years of college. Everyone who goes through this program is expected to shadow 1 physician for AT LEAST 40 hours.

If you're open to the idea of applying OOS DO then I'd definitely recommend it with an "average" MCAT. If anything, this program sets you up pretty well with other DO schools. A good number of people who got into a Texas school this year also applied to out of state MD and DO schools. It's good practice for interviews and you might at least have a backup option for going to med school somewhere if Texas doesn't pan out. Might not be a popular idea to you right now, but just give it some thought.

Only thing else I can tell you is to restudy for your MCAT and crush it, but you probably already know that.
Thanks! By average I meant I made a 499 but I hadnt thought of applying OOS until you mentioned it. Applying after the program doesn't sound bad either. I'll definitely give it some thought. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So I'm basically in the same boat as you, low GPA and high MCAT. If you plan on applying this cycle, then I would do the program, as it's too late for a DIY post-bacc. Your GPA for the last 60 hours is great, so just focus on getting as much clinical experience as possible (scribing is a great way to do it) and do some volunteer stuff that you find fun/meaningful outside of a clinical setting. You do that and do well in this program, I think you'll be in a great spot to apply this year.

If you plan on applying to this program, do it asap as admissions is on a rolling basis. Good luck!
Thanks! It's always nice knowing other people suffer from the slacker's GPA lol
I currently work as a scribe and have over 500 hours of shadowing experience, so hopefully that qualifies as sufficient experience!
Do you know how competitive the program is? I submitted my application yesterday but I'm scared that it might be a little too late.
Best of luck to you!!

Thanks! It's always nice knowing other people suffer from the slacker's GPA lol
I currently work as a scribe and have over 500 hours of shadowing experience, so hopefully that qualifies as sufficient experience!
Do you know how competitive the program is? I submitted my application yesterday but I'm scared that it might be a little too late.
Best of luck to you!!
I'm not sure it's that competitive to get in, and applying late doesn't really hurt your chances if you're a strong applicant. Just make sure to answer the questions fully and really show you're ready to take on the next step for getting into medical school. There are about 240 seats (there were this year) and 800 applicants.

Yo, I'm a current med sci and a 3rd time applicant who finally got in this year into a Texas school. If you have any questions, need help reading over anything (applications to this program or medical school essays), or just need someone to talk to and tell you that you should never give up on your dreams, I'm here for you. I will tell you things truthfully about the program (like what kind of applicants I've seen be successful in it and what kinds I've seen that haven't), but I am only here to help and would never put anyone down. Good luck!
Congratulation on your acceptance.I need an honest advice . My cgpa 3.6 , sgpa 3.5 , Mcat 27, got three interviews from DO schools, one denied , ACOM waitlisted and one acceptance from OS DO school , also applied to this programe. I have to decide I go to the DO school i didnot like or do the master and apply next year to MD /DO schools after the master to get into better school including Texas.
Do you think this progame will help me to improve my chances.

Congratulation on your acceptance.I need an honest advice . My cgpa 3.6 , sgpa 3.5 , Mcat 27, got three interviews from DO schools, one denied , ACOM waitlisted and one acceptance from OS DO school , also applied to this programe. I have to decide I go to the DO school i didnot like or do the master and apply next year to MD /DO schools after the master to get into better school including Texas.
Do you think this progame will help me to improve my chances.

Unless there's something really really wrong with the DO school that you got into then I'd go there for sure. If you didn't get a single interview at a Texas school this cycle then what makes you think you'll get one this upcoming summer if nothing has drastically changed on your application? Getting an acceptance is still another step above that. Wishful thinking is great, but you need to have realistic expectations too. There's a chance that you might get one or two interviews, but you're not guaranteed to hear anything back. What might end up happening is that you'll turn down the only acceptance to medical school that you have all for a "chance". The only guarantee you have is the one acceptance you have in your hand right now. What's more is that if you turn down a DO acceptance, it'll only be harder for you to apply this coming cycle to get into a "better" DO school.

One of our professors was telling us how he once had a student who was accepted for medical school, but decided not to accept their invitation. It was his only acceptance at the time and he still turned them down. He reapplied three more cycles after that but the damage was already done. The guy ended up going to a foreign medical school somewhere. Don't turn down your only "guarantee" right now for a "chance". Don't be that guy. Sure, if you get a 4.0 in this program and do a lot better on your MCAT then more doors will open up for you, but that's a big "IF".

My app shows completed, it took 2 days. I submitted it on Tue 2/23. @Aspiring Aggie Dr
Did you submit all of the required documents ( LORs, transcripts, MCAT scores, etc)? my application should be complete but it still says incomplete.

Last edited:
Did you submit all of the required documents ( LORs, transcripts, MCAT scores, etc)? My last LOR was supposed to have been submitted last Thursday, so my application should be complete but it still says incomplete.

Yeah, I've submitted everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know the total applicant pool size ?!

Yes, the woman I spoke to said a few people have had technical issues. Just hoping everything is sorted through before Tuesday.
Did say make you take a screenshot and email it? If that's the case, the time stamp does us good!

Yup! Thankfully I had the wherewithal to screenshot the error message I got the day I submitted last week.

Hi guys,

Is it possible for anyone to put all the prompts for this application up since their website is down?

Hi guys,

Is it possible for anyone to put all the prompts for this application up since their website is down?
-what are your career goals and how are they related to Healthcare

-an experience or situation that pertains to your goals

- greatest challenge you feel in regards to graduate study

- your single greatest asset that will assist you in reaching your goal.

- anything you want the committee to know ( obstacles, discrepancies, challenges, etc)

Long essay questions should not exceed 750-800 words.

So if the application is complete, does it means that all extra documents like transcripts and letters of rec are received?

So if the application is complete, does it means that all extra documents like transcripts and letters of rec are received?
No those are due March 15th. Were you able to submit? I know they had issues with the application

So can anyone see their checklist yet?

So can anyone see their checklist yet?
It might be taking a while to show up. I submitted my application without my MCAT scores and letters of rec back at the end of December. The checklist or "To-Do" list didn't show up until a couple of weeks ago

It might be taking a while to show up. I submitted my application without my MCAT scores and letters of rec back at the end of December. The checklist or "To-Do" list didn't show up until a couple of weeks ago

Thanks. Yeah I submitted Feb.2 and called a few weeks ago. The lady told me they received everything and should be processing the app by the last week of February. Not sure if they ran into some technical difficulties or something. Nothing to do but wait I guess.

Sent from my SM-N920P using SDN mobile

Thanks. Yeah I submitted Feb.2 and called a few weeks ago. The lady told me they received everything and should be processing the app by the last week of February. Not sure if they ran into some technical difficulties or something. Nothing to do but wait I guess.

does "processing" mean beginning to review applications? so nervous

does "processing" mean beginning to review applications? so nervous
Yeah it's basically the next step after submitting. Verification of supplementary materials and application review. I'm pretty nervous too!

Yeah it's basically the next step after submitting. Verification of supplementary materials and application review. I'm pretty nervous too!

When did you submit ? Just gauging average time it takes. Thanks!

No those are due March 15th. Were you able to submit? I know they had issues with the application

Sorry I guess I don't receive notifications, lol yes I was able to submit. I was nervous because back in December I sent my transcripts and HSC said they did not receive them. So I called around and apparently they went into the UNT undergrad admissions office :smack: soo I had to re due that and they also said they haven't received one of my letter of recs. So I was wanting to know that even if it said complete, is that jut referring to the online application or does it refer to ALL required material.

Also, I did not know they accepted until the 15th thats good to know, although I do wish I had all supporting docs submitted early. :(

Sorry I guess I don't receive notifications, lol yes I was able to submit. I was nervous because back in December I sent my transcripts and HSC said they did not receive them. So I called around and apparently they went into the UNT undergrad admissions office :smack: soo I had to re due that and they also said they haven't received one of my letter of recs. So I was wanting to know that even if it said complete, is that jut referring to the online application or does it refer to ALL required material.

Also, I did not know they accepted until the 15th thats good to know, although I do wish I had all supporting docs submitted early. :(
When did you submit your application ?

When did you submit your application ?

I ended up submitting it Monday (29th) because I thought the transcripts and letters of rec were also needed to be in at the same time the online app was submitted.

I ended up submitting it Monday (29th) because I thought the transcripts and letters of rec were also needed to be in at the same time the online app was submitted.
Yeah I had issues submitting all the way back to Friday the 26th. No those are considered supporting documents and don't need to be in for another 2 weeks.

Does anyone with experience with this program know what the ADCOM are looking for in an applicant? How much does GPA and MCAT factor into your acceptance? EC? I know it varies by student but I was just wondering if there was a general consensus to consider when applying, thanks!

Maybe this is a dumb question. The students who graduate from this program and don't end up in Med/dental/PA school for whatever reason...what do they end up doing? Does having this Masters degree make them more qualified to teach at say, a junior college or university? Basically I'm wondering is this program solely for strengthening a Med school application or do people enroll with other goals in mind?

Does anyone with experience with this program know what the ADCOM are looking for in an applicant? How much does GPA and MCAT factor into your acceptance? EC? I know it varies by student but I was just wondering if there was a general consensus to consider when applying, thanks!

GPA, MCAT and EC's are all looked at for admission to this program just as they are looked at for any other program. It's like you stated - varies by student. There's no one big criteria that will make you stand out. Everything is looked at. At this point it does it really matter what they are going to be looking for? If your entire application is already in or if you'll be submitting it in the next few days, there really isn't anything you can do to alter your GPA, MCAT or EC's that'll make a significant difference in your application. If your application isn't already in, then I would highly suggest submitting your application asap.

Maybe this is a dumb question. The students who graduate from this program and don't end up in Med/dental/PA school for whatever reason...what do they end up doing? Does having this Masters degree make them more qualified to teach at say, a junior college or university? Basically I'm wondering is this program solely for strengthening a Med school application or do people enroll with other goals in mind?

A lot of the people who take a gap year end up finding work as a scribe, EMT, or some other tech related medical job. Some even stay at the university to do research. You basically find something to do that'll improve your application even more. There isn't really anything you can do with a non-thesis master's of science. It's the equivalent of a college biology major. You could definitely go to a community college to teach with a master's degree, but that's almost not worth it. Long story short, yes - this program is solely for strengthening a med school/dental school/PA school application. If you're looking for something else that'll help you go into industry (pharmaceuticals, etc) then the university also offers other degrees that you should look into.

Is the anatomy lab taught with full cadavers? I think I read something online a while back that said students work with cadavers.

Is the anatomy lab taught with full cadavers? I think I read something online a while back that said students work with cadavers.

I'm a 2nd year at TCOM so I was in Medsci a few years ago, but when I was there it was a prosection cadaver lab and I'm pretty sure it still is. Prosection means that you won't do the cutting so you'll be seeing the final product done by the docs and medical students.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking at last year's thread, it looks like first acceptances went out around second week of March (11-12). Do they generally follow the same timeline year to year?

Reactions: 1 user
Looking at last year's thread, it looks like first acceptances went out around second week of March (11-12). Do they generally follow the same timeline year to year?

I was emailed and told acceptances would start going out on March 11th

Reactions: 2 users