MD & DO Unique-ish situation. Need help with school list. 3.3 uGPA, 3.9 postbac, 519

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spicynuggetfiend

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really don't know where I stand in terms of applications because I took a rather unorthodox path. I'd really appreciate if you guys shed some light on how competitive (or not) I am. I've hidden a few things for the sake of anonymity.

Grades: 3.3 cGPA/3.2 sGPA. Postbac GPA: 3.9 (cumulative and science)
MCAT: 519 (132 C/P, 127 CARS, 130 B/B, 130 P/S)
My residency is in a western U.S. state that isn't California. I'm white.

Majored in physics at a Top 20 university (known for a rigorous undergrad program). I didn't decide on medical school until after I had graduated. In undergrad I took a bunch of hard (and irrelevant) courses, like abstract algebra and quantum mechanics, and struggled. I managed to have an alright (~3.4) GPA my junior and senior year, but my sophomore GPA is what's really bringing me down.

I enrolled in a well known formal postbac after graduating. This is where I took the bulk of my prereq courses (orgo, biochem, bio, etc.) and I pulled off a 3.9 and I have a strong upward trend.

Extracurriculars:
-200+ hrs shadowing in hospitals
-3 research positions (2 summers and 1 for 2 years), got two posters and I am in the acknowledgements section of 1 publication (if that is worth anything).
-1 clinical internship (150+ hrs) where I screened and enrolled patients in clinical trials at a major research hospital
-I've shadowed 4 doctors (including a DO, from whom I got a LOR from)
-50 hrs non-clinical volunteering

Gap year: Bioinformatics research (working with software) and taking some upper div bio courses. Going to start volunteering again soon.

I know that's a lot, I appreciate you guys taking the time to read it.

I'm applying to 5 DO's. My MD list is (roughly, I'm still working on it):
Boston
Tufts
EVMS
UCLA
USC
Wake Forest
Penn State
Drexel
Jefferson
Wright State
Case
Miami
Cornell
Mt Sinai
Dartmouth
Georgetown
GWU
My state school(s)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

Is that your GPA including the PB work and how many credits of PB work are we talking?

You need more schools in the Dartmouth/Miami/Tufts realm with an MCAT median roughly around 34 that get <11k apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that your GPA including the PB work and how many credits of PB work are we talking?

You need more schools in the Dartmouth/Miami/Tufts realm with an MCAT median roughly around 34 that get <11k apps.

Yes. 45 postbac creds

Thanks for the school list suggestions @Goro

Yes. 45 postbac creds

Thanks for the school list suggesions @Goro

No state in the West outside of NM has a good IS matriculation % so youll need a good OOS list. Target about a dozen OOS friendly with an MCAT median around 34 that get <11k apps where your MCAT is around the 90th% and I think youll get IIs though

No state in the West outside of NM has a good IS matriculation % so youll need a good OOS list. Target about a dozen OOS friendly with an MCAT median around 34 that get <11k apps where your MCAT is around the 90th% and I think youll get IIs though
Yeah I kinda figured that. Luckily I have my state schools. I'll look into MSAR and see what I can find. Upon first glance most of them seem to be on the east coast