This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which lab should I do?

• Lab A

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Lab B

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

sushi18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title says, I'm considering working in 2 public health labs with pretty similar topical areas. I know in general this is ill-advised, but what's killing me is that Lab A has a project that I'm really interested in, whereas Lab B has a project that I am not as crazy about but potentially great networking opportunities.

Lab A
-project more directly related to my future career interests/personally engaging
-connected to a small NGO that has worked with USAID in the past
-small, tight-knit team where I'd work directly with the PI who already has a great impression of me but is not very well-known
-no strong track record of publications

Lab B
-project related to my interests, but not super engaging
-lab has a huge grant working with one of the major international foundations, which I'd love to work with in the future
-rockstar PI who likes me and could potentially write me a letter, but I would probably only see them rarely (maybe once/month).
-greater chance of publishing

I'd only need to work a few hours/week in each lab (not wet lab so way more flexible), but I have a lot of other commitments so friends have discouraged me from pursuing both.

What would you recommend: A, B, or both?

Members don't see this ad.

Why on earth do you any part of your idea to work in PH labs is ill-advised?
I’ve read that working in multiple labs at once is ill-advised! Not that there’s anything wrong with PH labs. @gonnif what are your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
With these decisions, I recommend flipping a coin. If you feel deep regret after the coin toss, go with the other choice because your gut is telling you what is best for you.

Reactions: 3 users
With these decisions, I recommend flipping a coin. If you feel deep regret after the coin toss, go with the other choice because your gut is telling you what is best for you.
@LizzyM thanks for your input! I’m leaning toward Lab A atm, but was wondering your thoughts on the importance of publishing for med school? My recent submission for publication will most likely be accepted but if it’s not, should the greater chance of publishing lean me toward Lab B? I’m interested in publishing not just for med school, but wonder if it’s a significant plus.

@LizzyM thanks for your input! I’m leaning toward Lab A atm, but was wondering your thoughts on the importance of publishing for med school? My recent submission for publication will most likely be accepted but if it’s not, should the greater chance of publishing lean me toward Lab B? I’m interested in publishing not just for med school, but wonder if it’s a significant plus.

It is less of a plus than you think it is. Doing something you love and that you'll speak with passion about at an interview is more important.

Reactions: 1 users
I chose lab A :) thanks everyone!

Reactions: 1 user