Psych programs for below average stats students...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

W19

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3rd year US MD student from bottom 10 schools worried about matching into a psych program..

Step1 score: 215-220
Class rank: 4th quartile
3rd year grades: Will probably be all 'Bs' .... Hard to get As in clerkship at my school
Research: Nothing outstanding
Red flags: None so far

Can some of you name some psych programs that I might have a legitimate shot at? I am willing to do my residency anywhere in the country...

I am going to start compiling a list of programs (~50+) during Christmas break...

Members don't see this ad.

you omitted the most important stat- any actual interest in psych?

Only a member of the psych interest group at my school... I am a nontrad student with a family, so it's hard for me to be involved in any other activities. I actually think my grades has suffered in med school because of that. It's hard 'juggling' the demands of family and med school together...

Members don't see this ad :)
3rd year US MD student from bottom 10 schools worried about matching into a psych program..

Step1 score: 215-220
Class rank: 4th quartile
3rd year grades: Will probably be all 'Bs' .... Hard to get As in clerkship at my school
Research: Nothing outstanding
Red flags: None so far

Can some of you name some psych programs that I might have a legitimate shot at? I am willing to do my residency anywhere in the country...

I am going to start compiling a list of programs (~50+) during Christmas break...

What region are you looking to go to? Suggestions without knowing that will be very difficult.

im in the same boat as you actually. i'm a nontrad with a family as well so my involvement in activities is basically zlich. However, thankfully before med school I did psych research for 2 years and was able to squeeze in some between M1 and M2 year which resulted in a poster presentation at AACAP. hopefully that's enough "psych interest" i made a list of programs recently and if you are truly willing to live anywhere there is a lot of programs you could apply to. There are certain areas I wouldn't want to live such as the northeast and in the middle of the country places like montana and idaho. With that being said, I still have a list of about 65 programs which I think is more than enough to narrow down for next year
What are criteria did you use to compile that list?

I guess I am going use the Christmas break to compile ~50 programs that might give me a chance to net ~10 iis... I will target mostly programs that have a lot of IMG/FMG...

Last edited:
Willing to go anywhere...

The trick is, as you have been told before, you are not an uncompetitive psych applicant. Maybe someone else wants to list every program in the country again for you, but it ain't me. If you can communicate a preference about where you want to go, though, I'm happy to throw in my thoughts if I know anything about programs in the area.

im similar to the OP, I am looking at the midwest region and the south (particularly texas and florida) any suggestions?

If your profile is like the OP's you are probably better than most of the people who end up at the Florida programs. UTSW might be a little bit of a reach (though you would still prob get an interview), but the other Texas programs are doable

The trick is, as you have been told before, you are not an uncompetitive psych applicant. Maybe someone else wants to list every program in the country again for you, but it ain't me. If you can communicate a preference about where you want to go, though, I'm happy to throw in my thoughts if I know anything about programs in the area.
Ok... South (FL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TX). Northeast (NY, PA, CT, NY)

In the south, I think there's no reason to think you couldn't get an interview at UNC or MUSC. Did not interview at MUSC but was really impressed by UNC, ended up high on my list.

Of the northeastern states you mentioned, Allegheny General is a very reasonable community program that has a positive reputation. It is not as academic or brand-name as the other psych residency in town, but I get the impression you do get solid training there. Also, not enormously competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
In the south, I think there's no reason to think you couldn't get an interview at UNC or MUSC. Did not interview at MUSC but was really impressed by UNC, ended up high on my list.

Of the northeastern states you mentioned, Allegheny General is a very reasonable community program that has a positive reputation. It is not as academic or brand-name as the other psych residency in town, but I get the impression you do get solid training there. Also, not enormously competitive.

For what it's worth, UNC has an average Step 1 score of 240 and is one of the odd programs requiring a Chair of Psychiatry letter.
https://www.med.unc.edu/psych/education/residencies/frequently-asked-questions
https://www.med.unc.edu/psych/education/residencies/applicant-information/application-process

For what it's worth, UNC has an average Step 1 score of 240 and is one of the odd programs requiring a Chair of Psychiatry letter.
https://www.med.unc.edu/psych/education/residencies/applicant-information/application-process
It's not worth very much. I had neither and I still got a UNC interview. And I agree, it's a fantastic program in a fantastic town. Good dinner, too!

You get rejected from 100% of the programs you don't apply to.

If your profile is like the OP's you are probably better than most of the people who end up at the Florida programs. UTSW might be a little bit of a reach (though you would still prob get an interview), but the other Texas programs are doable
I thought Florida programs were competitive due to location... Do you know anything about U Miami (Jackson Memorial), Larkin Community Hospital, Citrus Health (a new program) and UF (Jacksonville)?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

As someone below posted, I definitely did not have a step 1 anywhere close to that and interviewed there.

Also, when I mentioned the chair letter requirement to the folks interviewing me, no one had any idea what I was talking about.

I thought Florida programs were competitive due to location... Do you know anything about U Miami (Jackson Memorial), Larkin Community Hospital, Citrus Health (a new program) and UF (Jacksonville)?

No they aren't very competitive because none are that strong compared to better programs in the South (Emory, Duke, UNC, MUSC, Vanderbilt, UTSW)

Citrus Health Network is a joke. My buddy had an interview there. One resident showed up to the dinner ~30 min late, sat down and started just bashing the program. "This is a ****ty program. If you get other interviews, you should go to them...and rank them higher than this program." I would save your money unless you're an FMG or US-IMG.

Citrus Health Network is a joke. My buddy had an interview there. One resident showed up to the dinner ~30 min late, sat down and started just bashing the program. "This is a ****ty program. If you get other interviews, you should go to them...and rank them higher than this program." I would save your money unless you're an FMG or US-IMG.
I will avoid it. I am a US student... thanks

I think you will definitely get interviews at mid tier programs and even some at higher tier programs if you can convey genuine interest in psychiatry, not just because it's a non-competitive specialty and you're worried about your stats being low. You definitely have a shot since many of these programs exclusively fill 90%+ with DO/IMG/FMGs and being a US MD is most likely an advantage.

South (FL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TX): Should DC be on this list?
GW, Georgetown, UVA, UF (Gainesville and Jacksonville), USF, MUSC, UNC, Wake Forest

Northeast (NY, PA, CT, NY): Should MA be on this list?
Einstein, UMass, Jefferson, BMC, University of Rochester, SUNY Update, SUNY Downstate, Stony Brook, University of Vermont, Drexel, Temple, Tufts, NYMC, Institute of Living

Again, this is just a small list off the top of my head from where students are from during my interview trail, but there are tons of other lower tier psych programs that are not as well known. Find a list on the ERAS website or Doximity and then apply to where you'd want to live.

Reactions: 1 users

What does this exactly mean? Like activities that show interest in psych? Or literally being interested in psych?

I'm considering joining the APA and maybe attending a few meetings and doing research in psych during 4th year. Is that something that will help?

I think you will definitely get interviews at mid tier programs and even some at higher tier programs if you can convey genuine interest in psychiatry, not just because it's a non-competitive specialty and you're worried about your stats being low. You definitely have a shot since many of these programs exclusively fill 90%+ with DO/IMG/FMGs and being a US MD is most likely an advantage.

GW, Georgetown, UVA, UF (Gainesville and Jacksonville), USF, MUSC, UNC, Wake Forest

Einstein, UMass, Jefferson, BMC, University of Rochester, SUNY Update, SUNY Downstate, Stony Brook, University of Vermont, Drexel, Temple, Tufts, NYMC, Institute of Living

Again, this is just a small list off the top of my head from where students are from during my interview trail, but there are tons of other lower tier psych programs that are not as well known. Find a list on the ERAS website or Doximity and then apply to where you'd want to live.

Never applied to Rochester myself, but for what it's worth, it might be a really good fit for someone with a family. I have two fellow interns who were medical students there and apparently the psych residents essentially never have overnight call.

What does this exactly mean? Like activities that show interest in psych? Or literally being interested in psych?

I'm considering joining the APA and maybe attending a few meetings and doing research in psych during 4th year. Is that something that will help?

all to the good, for sure, but really the big thing is making sure you are doing fourth year psych electives and not, say, multiple months of ortho.

Psych electives before the Dean's letters are written, after that, go do other things. You will do plenty of psych in the next 4 years. Derm questions seem to come up frequently at family gatherings.

Reactions: 3 users
Psych electives before the Dean's letters are written, after that, go do other things. You will do plenty of psych in the next 4 years. Derm questions seem to come up frequently at family gatherings.

If it is wet, then dry it. If it is dry, then wet it. Steroids work wonders.

zzzomg you're a genius.

what about programs in california? I know cali is a reach, but any out there worth applying to for us?

Will be tough unless you have ties. I would start at the newer programs: Kaweah Delta, UC Riverside.

what about programs in california? I know cali is a reach, but any out there worth applying to for us?

There are lots of programs in California with DO students, not just Kaweah Delta and UC Riverside. Actually, UC Riverside has had strong residents lately and have not taken any DO applicants since they opened. You should definitely apply because if you don't, you'll have 0% chance of matching there versus a >0% chance if you do.

Here are DO friendly programs if you want to be in CA:
Loma Linda is DO friendly and they seemed like a great program when I interviewed there with residents who work hard. They have a preference for DOs from Western University (they actually have separate recruiting events/dinners for those students)
UCLA-SFV is an okay program that I wasn't impressed with during my interview day. Review to come.
UCSD is a terrific program that is up-and-coming and extremely underrated. Plus it's in a fantastic city.
UCLA-Kern is supposedly DO friendly, but I haven't heard anything about it.
UCI was going through some rough times, but they've stabilized and improving drastically. I interviewed with some DO applicants here.
UC Davis is a terrific program with lots of great faculty and perhaps one of the strongest forensics program in CA.
USC is a program that really works their residents and it's in a shiny new county hospital (although psych is relegated to the basement) and private clinic outpatients
UCSF-Fresno has some fantastic residents and extremely friendly faculty as far as I've met.

I don't know anything about Kaweah Delta, CPMC, or San Mateo.

Good luck!

Would take MUSC and UNC off that list- they (moreso UNC than MUSC) are reaches for people with the OPs profile (though not completely out of reach) and typically have higher quality residents than the others. MUSC's competitiveness seems to depend on how many of their own students stay for residency