personality measure as part of assessment battery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's kind of an argumentum ad populum fallacy. Barryggg has repeatedly claimed that the model used in the US is wrong based simply on other Western nations not following the same model, not on any empirical research-based comparisons between countries, e.g. patient outcomes, provider knowledge and skill, etc. He just makes wild claims without evidence.
There is no support that Phd standard is better.

My whole point was..if Phd is the only way to go..and it's superior..why do so many Western nations not have that standard?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
...and that's a problem because...? How would that be different from any other career? Why does that mean that psychologists want power more than helping patient? Again, you make a potentially true statement as a premise, but your conclusion does not logically follow.

It's a problem because if you truly learned anything in your training it's that there is very little certain when it comes to psychological research..yet you use these instruments to make conclusions all the time and it impacts people's lives very negatively.

The alternative would be to say..look, we need to be humble, and we need to be a practical profession..let's utilize what works well (ie CBT)..for what it's good for..and stop trying to be pretend that we know more than we do..by using measures that are not valid and reliable. I'm not saying that we should not do further research..but this should not be incorporated into practice.

I've seen it happen a fair amount through the years. The number one sign is when they start refusing to cite sources and call you lazy for even asking. I even saw someone do that pre-emptively before anyone ever asked them for a source. Now that's some advanced trolling.

What surprises me is that people are continuing to engage with the troll, when he has made it clear that he is just trying to inflame people, and is not actually trying to have a conversation. I suspect part of the reason people like to troll here sometimes is because it works.
You are using the ad hominem (Argument to the Man). Please stick to the arguments. I guess they taught you at your Phd program to attack the person..as a way to silence them.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are using the ad hominem (Argument to the Man). Please stick to the arguments. I guess they taught you at your Phd program to attack the person..as a way to silence them.

Silence, barrygggg!

Reactions: 1 user
I actually gave you guys way too much credit. It's worse than I thought.

I've seen it happen a fair amount through the years. The number one sign is when they start refusing to cite sources and call you lazy for even asking. I even saw someone do that pre-emptively before anyone ever asked them for a source. Now that's some advanced trolling.

What surprises me is that people are continuing to engage with the troll, when he has made it clear that he is just trying to inflame people, and is not actually trying to have a conversation. I suspect part of the reason people like to troll here sometimes is because it works.

I just get bored while waiting for patients to show up for appointments. I have to fill the time somehow.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.