Neuropsych Testing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych20122

Reaction score
I am a licensed clinical psychologist in NYS as well as a school psychologist with over 10 years of child assessment experience. I was recently contacted by an assessment agency who offered me a fee to conduct a neuropsychological evaluation on a child suspected of a learning disability.

Am I not allowed to do this because I am not a board approved neuropsych? Nor am I under the supervision of one.
I don’t have additional post-doc specializations but have administered many tests typically used during neuropsychs.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends, how does your state define scope of practice and competency in practice areas. In some states, I could see you putting yourself at much greater liability with a potential board complaint, and in some states, they could care less. It sounds like this is something that if you've had experience in, it's been >10 years, is this true?

Reactions: 1 user
Depends, how does your state define scope of practice and competency in practice areas. In some states, I could see you putting yourself at much greater liability with a potential board complaint, and in some states, they could care less. It sounds like this is something that if you've had experience in, it's been >10 years, is this true?
Yes since 2013.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a licensed clinical psychologist in NYS as well as a school psychologist with over 10 years of child assessment experience. I was recently contacted by an assessment agency who offered me a fee to conduct a neuropsychological evaluation on a child suspected of a learning disability.

Am I not allowed to do this because I am not a board approved neuropsych? Nor am I under the supervision of one.
I don’t have additional post-doc specializations but have administered many tests typically used during neuropsychs.
Why does a learning disorder require neuropsychological testing? This is a ability+ achievement + emotional tests + specialty tests situation. An understanding of the neurological underpinnings of a learning disorder is not going to change either accommodations or interventions.

Also, you don't diagnose disabilities, you diagnose disorders. Disability is something wholly different.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree--if it's primarily a psychoeducational evaluation to diagnose possible learning disorder, that doesn't require neuropsych and you may have sufficient training/expertise to do the testing. Like WisNeuro said, if it's been 10 years since you've done any testing, then at the very least, I'd recommend having some formal peer-to-peer supervision/consultation in place.

If it's a true neuropsych, as in this child has a history of a brain injury or some neurological condition and we're wondering if this is an LD vs. the effects from that condition vs. all of the above, it doesn't sound like (based on what you've said) you'd be adequately trained to provide that service and should refer out.

Reactions: 2 users