Low GPA with high number of credits. Should I do a SMP as well?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diphylleia

Reaction score
I have a 2.6 GPA. I struggled with personal and health problems throughout undergrad. It's not an excuse, but I have a slight upward trend. I'm going to begin a post-bacc program in Fall, but because I've taken so many credits in undergrad even if I get a 4.0 my GPA won't be above a 3.0 when I finish. I'd basically need to take another degree worth of courses to get above 3.0.

I've heard a lot of SMP and Med schools screen sub 3.0 applications. Do I need to do a SMP as well? Or will having a good trend in grades from now on be sufficient?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 2.6 GPA. I struggled with personal and health problems throughout undergrad. It's not an excuse, but I have a slight upward trend. I'm going to begin a post-bacc program in Fall, but because I've taken so many credits in undergrad even if I get a 4.0 my GPA won't be above a 3.0 when I finish. I'd basically need to take another degree worth of courses to get above 3.0.

I've heard a lot of SMP and Med schools screen sub 3.0 applications. Do I need to do a SMP as well? Or will having a good trend in grades from now on be sufficient?

If (and only if) you've corrected the issues which led to your poor academic performance in undergrad, an SMP with linkage will likely be a more direct route to medical school for you. You'll need to research which ones will consider applicants with <3.0 uGPAs. It may be beneficial to contact the SMPs that interest you and ask how you can be a more competitive applicant.

Like SMPs, medical schools often do automatically screen out sub-3.0 uGPAs, even for candidates with a great postbac/SMP showing. However, you can frequently get around GPA autoscreens and receive a secondary by politely pleading your case to admissions offices. Be prepared to apply very broadly, both MD and DO.

Reactions: 3 users
As a non-trad with a worse UG gpa, my advice is to take it one step at a time, it's a marathon from here on out.
First crush your post-bac and demonstrate your ability to succeed at academics.
Then you can reach out to programs and ask about their GPA policy.
Most SMPs will also require a MCAT, so study for that after your post-bac and see where you land.
Prepare broadly and you'll eventually find a path to your goal.
Lots of good advice on these forums for re-inventors, read up.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
SMPs are a dime a dozen. Just do your research and you'll find one that will take you.

Also, contact the registrar at your undergraduate school and find out if you could retroactively withdraw from the courses you got very bad grades in. This is a thing at some schools, and the worst that they will tell you is no.

Reactions: 2 users
If (and only if) you've corrected the issues which led to your poor academic performance in undergrad, an SMP with linkage will likely be a more direct route to medical school for you. You'll need to research which ones will consider applicants with <3.0 uGPAs. It may be beneficial to contact the SMPs that interest you and ask how you can be a more competitive applicant.

Like SMPs, medical schools often do automatically screen out sub-3.0 uGPAs, even for candidates with a great postbac/SMP showing. However, you can frequently get around GPA autoscreens and receive a secondary by politely pleading your case to admissions offices. Be prepared to apply very broadly, both MD and DO.
As a non-trad with a worse UG gpa, my advice is to take it one step at a time, it's a marathon from here on out.
First crush your post-bac and demonstrate your ability to succeed at academics.
Then you can reach out to programs and ask about their GPA policy.
Most SMPs will also require a MCAT, so study for that after your post-bac and see where you land.
Prepare broadly and you'll eventually find a path to your goal.
Lots of good advice on these forums for re-inventors, read up.
SMPs are a dime a dozen. Just do your research and you'll find one that will take you.

Also, contact the registrar at your undergraduate school and find out if you could retroactively withdraw from the courses you got very bad grades in. This is a thing at some schools, and the worst that they will tell you is no.
Thank you so much everyone! I'll keep this advice in mind!

Reactions: 1 user