How are recommendation letters from Admissions members viewed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1161543

I have an opportunity to do research with the Dean of a T20 medical school, a school that I am strongly interested in applying to next year. They said they could "definitely" write me a recommendation letter when the time comes for application, and out of curiosity, I was wondering how that would be viewed by admissions committee at that school.

Obviously I know it wouldn't be a huge boost, nor do I expect it to be any major advantage whatsoever as LORs depend on the content of letter, but out of curiosity, what type of impression does this leave on an admissions committee? Would that Dean not be allowed to comment on my application at all behind closed doors?

My guess is that it will just raise an eyebrow and that's about it, but wondering if anyone else had a similar experience. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The Dean of the entire medical school is not, in my experience, hands on the MD admissions process. For that there is a director of admissions or dean of admissions (or a title like "vice dean" or "senior associate dean" or some-such). If there is any place for the Dean, it is behind closed doors or in a phone call to the dean of admissions.

I can't recall a LOR from our Dean but I do recall one from the newly appointed President of the University (!) who had taught an undergrad class at their previous school. Cool but didn't give the applicant any kind of bump compared with any other letter writer from that other school.

Also keep in mind that not every Dean (or faculty member) is universally loved. Some might be considered, by some adcom members, as a SOB who is not going to be considered a good judge of character. Such a letter won't hurt you but it won't help as much as you might think it would.

• Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users