Do optometry schools accept C's for non-science courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bio_student95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
English isn't my first language and courses such as history, English courses were not very interesting to me. I was also taking 3-4 science classes at the time so it was difficult to sit down and read a bunch of books to write essays on. My question is, if I have a few C's for non-science coursework, will they count that against me? Should I retake those courses? I have a decent science GPA, but my cumulative is much lower due to the C's that I received. Would my science GPA, and good OAT score be sufficient enough to get an interview? Also, if you can recommend me some upper level science courses that the schools might like seeing, that'd be great. So far I have taken: genetics, human physiology, human anatomy, biochem 1, ochem 1 and 2, immunology, research, and stats. Do I need courses like plant biology, or ecology? I'm considering to take virology and neuroscience in the fall, and might squeeze in another lecture if I have room.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A good science GPA and OAT score above 320 will get you an interview at most schools.

I wouldn't recommend retaking a non science course, you can take more upper level science courses instead. Also reach out to optometry school advisors, they'll gladly help.

Reactions: 1 user
If English isn't your first language, I wouldn't sweat not doing well in liberal arts classes. The schools will focus on your science classes and OAT score. If you have justification (which you do) about why your English classes were lower, you should be fine for interviews. Good luck!