Clinical Oriented Grad Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grad4Clinical

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone :oops:
I hope people are having a wonderful and stressless summer. Or at least somewhat relaxing. I'm an uprising Senior at a small liberal arts college looking to apply to graduate programs in clinical/counseling psychology in the fall. I already know that I will likely be applying to a mix of PsyD and PhD programs and have read some of the past threads debating the worth of these two degrees. My question is if anyone out there knows of any clinical PhD programs that are focused more on the clinical work than the research. I know that many people who've posted here in the past seem to be more research oriented, and I know that overall PhD programs are more highly research oriented - guess I was just looking for a little help finding those who help us clinically focused folk succeed. Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

raekelly said:
Argosy University is clinically oriented.

That I know, I am already planning on applying to their Atlanta program. However, I'm more looking for help with PhD programs since all PsyD programs will be more clinically oriented, thanks though.

PhD programs are by definition research oriented :) however, they differ in terms of psychotherapeutic orientations they emphasize - there are strong divisions between psychodynamic vs CBT oriented programs. I'd suggest making up your mind whether you are interested in pursuing research or not and just stick with applying to either PhD or PsyD programs - applying to many schools is extremely expensive...

Members don't see this ad :)
lazure said:
PhD programs are by definition research oriented :) however, they differ in terms of psychotherapeutic orientations they emphasize - there are strong divisions between psychodynamic vs CBT oriented programs. I'd suggest making up your mind whether you are interested in pursuing research or not and just stick with applying to either PhD or PsyD programs - applying to many schools is extremely expensive...

My only gripe with that plan is that I will be paying for gradschool completely on my own. Most research programs will offer at least partial tuition remission since they're being funded by research grants. If I stick to just the PsyD I will come out of school with some pretty major debt. I have tried looking at the scholarships that are available, but most of those seem geared towards research oriented students as well. :(

Yup, I fully understand where you are coming from - many schools expect their students to exist on next to nothing for 6 years.... You always have the option of going to a research oriented school, getting funding there but going into clinical practice after. I'm in Canada, in a research oriented program but I know that about half of its graduates stop doing research as soon as they defend their dissertation. Research is not for everybody and I think that one can be a good clinician with just the fundamental research skills ....
good luck..

The book includes a self ranking of 1-7 by each school describing how research or clinical oriented they consider their program to be. It includes PsyD and PhD. I think this book has exactly what you are looking for, but you should probably flip through a copy first. It's available in bookstores.

Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology : 2004/2005 Edition (INSIDER'S GUIDE TO GRADUATE PROGRAMS IN CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...f=sr_1_1/002-3563621-5444847?v=glance&s=books