anyone with a disability applied to top tier medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ej930

Reaction score
Has anyone (with a disability) applied to medical schools? I'm rly nervous to disclose my disability in my application and want to hear others' experiences. Plz PM me your experiences

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Higher education institutions, including medical schools, are required to provide equal access/accommodations for disabled students, and I am not aware of any school that does not have an office designed to provide/facilitate services for these students - this is not unique to Harvard. If your disability is not visible/obvious, and you can meet the technical requirements of the medical school with reasonable accommodations, you do not have to disclose your disability in the application process unless you wish to do so. If you do require accommodations, there will be a process in place (through the office for disability services) to request these, which usually requires a letter from your physician detailing the accommodations you need, but not necessarily disclosure of the specific disability.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you @cj_cregg b/c ableism is prevalent in the medical culture, i want to hear from others who have navigated the admissions process with a disability. specifically i would like to know if anyone has experience with disclosing or choosing to not disclose their disability during this process

Thank you @cj_cregg b/c ableism is prevalent in the medical culture, i want to hear from others who have navigated the admissions process with a disability. specifically i would like to know if anyone has experience with disclosing or choosing to not disclose their disability during this process
I was diagnosed with a couple medical conditions/disabilities in medical school, did get some accommodations during medical school, and elected not to disclose the disabilities until after match for residency for various reasons. Obviously a little different than applying to medical school, but feel free to PM me if you have any particular questions.

Reactions: 1 user