2023-2024 Virginia Commonwealth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how often VCU announce waitlist A and is that it for this week?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
IS A received this AM! Interviewed 3/7

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
OOS A off WL yesterday. Thinking of rejecting. Does the school have a NBME style curriculum or are all exams in-house?

Whoever got accepted yesterday/today, did you have a seat on hold in other institutions?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys, congratulations to all the WL A's. I've been on the WL since october 2023 and im loosing hope. I never sent a letter to them because I dont have any significant updates. Is it worth it to send them a letter of intent now? I'm In-state too so idk what to do. Seems like I can't catch a break with IS schools 😢

• Care
Did anyone recently acceptance receive confirmation of their Fafsa or CSS? Anyone get their aid package today

Did anyone recently acceptance receive confirmation of their Fafsa or CSS? Anyone get their aid package today
I also called the Financial Aid office earlier this week, and they said they were expecting to send out aid packages sometime late next week.

hey guys, congratulations to all the WL A's. I've been on the WL since october 2023 and im loosing hope. I never sent a letter to them because I dont have any significant updates. Is it worth it to send them a letter of intent now? I'm In-state too so idk what to do. Seems like I can't catch a break with IS schools 😢
I didn’t send anything but if you wanted to send an LOI I don’t think it would hurt.

Wondering the same, I don’t have any updates but am really hoping to get off the WL.

I didn’t send anything but if you wanted to send an LOI I don’t think it would hurt.
I would second this! Even if it is short, reiterating interest and/or committing to attend if accepted could still be a good idea and even small updates could be good to include!

Hey, I am an IS applicant who is waitlisted at VCU currently. I have not received an acceptance yet. I just wanted to know how the waitlist movement frequency has been for VCU over the past cycles. Do they only send out the majority of WL IS As in beginning of May or does it happen later on over the next few months as well?

Hey, I am an IS applicant who is waitlisted at VCU currently. I have not received an acceptance yet. I just wanted to know how the waitlist movement frequency has been for VCU over the past cycles. Do they only send out the majority of WL IS As in beginning of May or does it happen later on over the next few months as well?
Based strictly from what I saw last cycle, it seems to taper off as we move forward into the month. However, you still see some acceptances in June

How competitive is the culture at VCU? Got some weird vibes during my interview day. Not sure how accurate they are.

How competitive is the culture at VCU? Got some weird vibes during my interview day. Not sure how accurate they are.
not competitive, ppl help each other out from my experience (ie share anki decks, that kind of stuff), true p/f with no ranking def helps

Reactions: 1 user
So it’s p/f all 4 years with no internal ranking? I’m not sure why I got those vibes, the students were definitely not as excited about VCU as students at other schools i interviewed/was accepted by.

So it’s p/f all 4 years with no internal ranking? I’m not sure why I got those vibes, the students were definitely not as excited about VCU as students at other schools i interviewed/was accepted by.
You find this conversation happening at every school; some kids only have fantastic interactions, and everyone is super happy and others just don't see that. In my experience, I had a negative interaction with one of the faculty members 1-2 years ago at an admissions event that initially put me off the school but since getting an interview I have been connected to current students that love VCU and Richmond. They seem to have a very progressive, student-centric approach to their curriculum from P/F preclerckship to ultrasound imaging clinics

I would second this! Even if it is short, reiterating interest and/or committing to attend if accepted could still be a good idea and even small updates could be good to include!
At this point in the cycle which email should we be sending updates to? The medadmit one? or to Dr. WhiteHurst-cook directly?

Wait, my impression is that there was an internal rank based on this website - Medical School Curriculums – Admit.org. Did they mention somewhere there's no internal rank?

Honestly, as far as the preclinical years are concerned, extremely collaborative. No one is out to get you. Everyone works together, study together. It’s a good culture here by far and large. Can’t say anything about the clinical phase but I expect the same.

Got off the WL this past Wednesday. It was my 1st acceptance of the cycle after 11 long months. I'm rejecting the A and committing to a different school. Hope this acceptance brings one of you the same joy it brought me!

Reactions: 6 users
Wait, my impression is that there was an internal rank based on this website - Medical School Curriculums – Admit.org. Did they mention somewhere there's no internal rank?
Preclinical it’s true p/f no ranking that will be reported to residencies, admin does an internal rank but that’s more for their use and will not be shared with residencies (they explicitly said that), for clinicals I am not sure if we are ranked or not to be honest, personally I would say I am satisfied with this school, exams are fair, there’s a good amount of opportunities if you choose to pursue them, Richmond has good COL comparatively

How do you guys get in touch with VCU Admissions? I've never gotten a response on my emails for the past 4 months nor any calls after I left a voicemail.
I heard from current students that they are insanely busy right now with processing applications and prepping for next year's cycle. Thats probably why there is a delay.

Hey guys! I officially pulled my A from VCU, hope everyone sees some more movement soon! :)

Reactions: 6 users
Does VCU use standardized patients? Or have a simulation center?

We use SPs for all of our Practice of Clinical Medicine course and OSCEs. Also have a nicely appointed sim center for all sorts of things. For M1s, it’s mainly used for ultrasound but may be booked for suture workshops, etc.

From looking at past threads, VCU waitlists were very active starting late April but this year seems quite slow. Do you guys think the slow down is due to FAFSA/Financial Aid issue? The quietness is scary…

From looking at past threads, VCU waitlists were very active starting late April but this year seems quite slow. Do you guys think the slow down is due to FAFSA/Financial Aid issue? The quietness is scary…
I feel like waitlists are slow for EVERY school right now because of FAFSA. It's scary because I don't know if it will pick up if ever -- all of the schools I am waitlisted to also have not had much movement.

Reactions: 4 users