2023-2024 UT Southwestern (UTSW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UTSW was my first choice. I am waitlisted at Baylor but haven't received waitlisted email from UT Southwestern. Do you know if they have sent out email for Waitlist yet?./
I also got the Baylor waitlist email, but nothing from SW yet. Hopefully they update us soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As an OOS person who interviewed in December, is there still any chance for us if we haven’t heard back ? I know match day was last week.

Members don't see this ad :)
As an OOS person who interviewed in December, is there still any chance for us if we haven’t heard back ? I know match day was last week.
Possibly.
It depends on how many OOS people they have accepted up to this point.
Maximum number of OOS matriculants is 24 (10% of the class)

UTSW takes some time to create their WL as well so watch your inbox

Reactions: 1 users
Possibly.
It depends on how many OOS people they have accepted up to this point.
Maximum number of OOS matriculants is 24 (10% of the class)

UTSW takes some time to create their WL as well so watch your inbox
Thank you for your insight!! Is there like a fuzzy date at which I should lose hope? UTSW is my dream and I’m so anxious waiting every day.

Thank you for your insight!! Is there like a fuzzy date at which I should lose hope? UTSW is my dream and I’m so anxious waiting every day.
Don’t make yourself crazy about this - you will have to choose among your current schools by April 30 so spend time comparing those instead.

is there a groupme or something similar for accepted students?

is there a groupme or something similar for accepted students?
There's a class of 2028 Facebook page that is searchable and a GroupMe that some students started during MS0 weekend. Dm me and I'll send you the link!

Has anyone who prematched then matched here received any new emails? Not sure if they've sent out anything.

For anyone wondering: I applied for a 1 bedroom at Medical Park in November and found out I was in the 120s for the wait-list when I asked their staff during MS0 weekend.

This equated to a "probably not" for being able to live there this year. The wait-list doesn't expire, however, so you'll have the option to live there when they get down to your name in the future.
In order to apply and put your name on the waitlist, did you have to fill out the form and physically turn it in (with the $25)?

Members don't see this ad :)
In order to apply and put your name on the waitlist, did you have to fill out the form and physically turn it in (with the $25)?
Physically turn it in or mail it to their office with the $25. I did the latter.

OOS WL :( not surprised but still a little bummed out. Probably going to be prepared for the worst

OOS WL :( not surprised but still a little bummed out. Probably going to be prepared for the worst
nah I think the OOS WL will move a lot. A bunch of the OOS ppl I met already got into other programs they are committing to instead

Reactions: 2 users
WL status has not been updated on my CYMS yet.

nah I think the OOS WL will move a lot. A bunch of the OOS ppl I met already got into other programs they are committing to instead
I hope so 😭 your comment gives me hope

where are you bumping into them? :)
Anecdotally I talked to a handful of these hot-shot OOS applicants as well. This was during MS0.

Based on some of the cool opportunities they had and their excitement towards them, I didn't expect them to go with UTSW in the end.

EDIT: "hot-shot" reads kinda snarky which was not my intent at all

Last edited:
Anecdotally I talked to a handful of these hot-shot OOS applicants as well. This was during MS0.

Based on some of the cool opportunities they had and their excitement towards them, I didn't expect them to go with UTSW in the end.
UTSW has had some visit days for accepted students. Wouldn’t hot-shots fit in tho?

UTSW has had some visit days for accepted students. Wouldn’t hot-shots fit in tho?
I would say so. I felt like everyone I met during my second look visits would make great classmates.

The mainthing going for UTSW with their OOS applicants is that they guarantee instate tuition with the 1k scholarship while Baylor does n't.

They also mostly interview very high stat people from OOS which means those people might be getting into some top 10 schools where they will attend despite the cost in many cases.

Do you think they will replace OOS students who will leave for better OOS opportunities with OOS students on the WL or they can offer soem of these spots to IS WL Students?

Do you think they will replace OOS students who will leave for better OOS opportunities with OOS students on the WL or they can offer soem of these spots to IS WL Students?
I cannot speak to this because my only exposure to their admissions process has been this cycle. texasvandy and wysdoc might have some insight to offer though

It is completely up to UTSW how they will fill any gaps created by OOS admitted students who leave for greener or more northerly pastures.
They can look to their OOS WL, as long as they don't exceed the permitted 10% OOS cap (24 students).
Last year they took 20 OOS students in their regular MD cohort and 6 to MD/PhD

I have the following theory about what happens when OOS students drop out and it is based on the actual numbers at each school when the school starts. This is not knowing the real process but just looking at numbers and proportionate postings in threads along the way.

1. Schools are filling OOS students close to quota at the following (UTSW, Long which seems to be doing more than quota, McGovern, Tech, Baylor which does not need to meet 10%,) and exceptions to this are UTMB and A&M which dont admit to quota upfront.
2. The schools that do to quota decide whether they want to replace OOS dropouts with OOS drop outs - UTSW upto May 1st week, Long probably same but looks like McGovern has dropped that practice based on having only 9 people last year.
3. None of the TMDSAS schools (except Baylor) offer OOS admissions past May 15th. All of those seats are given to Texas residents who dont have any admissions.

I have the following theory about what happens when OOS students drop out and it is based on the actual numbers at each school when the school starts. This is not knowing the real process but just looking at numbers and proportionate postings in threads along the way.

1. Schools are filling OOS students close to quota at the following (UTSW, Long which seems to be doing more than quota, McGovern, Tech, Baylor which does not need to meet 10%,) and exceptions to this are UTMB and A&M which dont admit to quota upfront.
2. The schools that do to quota decide whether they want to replace OOS dropouts with OOS drop outs - UTSW upto May 1st week, Long probably same but looks like McGovern has dropped that practice based on having only 9 people last year.
3. None of the TMDSAS schools (except Baylor) offer OOS admissions past May 15th. All of those seats are given to Texas residents who dont have any admissions.
Anecdotally I will say we have a lot of OOS students in my class. Seems like we’re pretty OOS friendly

Anecdotally I will say we have a lot of OOS students in my class. Seems like we’re pretty OOS friendly
@wysdoc above said 20 which is lower than 24 allowed. MD/PhDs are usually not counted in that quota since they are funded over 8 year period.

so

Based in this timeline, if we (OOS students) commit to an AMCAS school by April 30th, can we still change our mind if one of the TMDSAS schools accept us some time between then and May 15? That’s the part I’m a little confused about.

thoughts on sending LOIs? I know the WL email said that they have everything that they need and that a LOI isn't necessary, but I wanted to send one and I want to make sure that it won't hurt me. I understand that there's a good chance it won't help much.

If they say not to and u do it prolly won’t help and prolly will hurt

so

Based in this timeline, if we (OOS students) commit to an AMCAS school by April 30th, can we still change our mind if one of the TMDSAS schools accept us some time between then and May 15? That’s the part I’m a little confused about.
We are only wondering if the schools offer seats to OOS students on waitlist or not. There is nothing stopping an OOS student from accepting a seat from any school if offered a seat - on any date. We are just not sure schools continue offering them to OOS students after May 1st because they want to help instate students without an admission after May 1st deadline.

For those who were offered the full-ride scholarship have y'all got any further information on that?

Or if any current full-ride students are reading this and remember when y'all got more concrete figures on that, I would really appreciate an approximate timeline as well :')

For those who were offered the full-ride scholarship have y'all got any further information on that?

Or if any current full-ride students are reading this and remember when y'all got more concrete figures on that, I would really appreciate an approximate timeline as well :')
I got an email w my scholarship info a few weeks after the initial acceptance offer in like mid-Nov (it was a PDF and basically just detailed what my scholarship does and does not cover). PM me if you want more info.

You'll get an email with a pdf outlining what is covered, whether you get a stipend, etc. It will also list the terms of keeping your scholarship, which are essentially: 1) dont fail too many classes (one is ok), 2) dont fail step 1 or 2, 3) dont get too many professionalism forms (I think 4 forms = 1 formal writeup so just dont get a writeup)

I believe the monthly stipend (if you got full tuition + col) is around 3k

My class is similar. I think this feeling may be because some OOS students work in Texas for a gap year to earn in state residency for medical school applications. So the amount of "born and bred" Texans in each class is probably not 90%

You'll get an email with a pdf outlining what is covered, whether you get a stipend, etc. It will also list the terms of keeping your scholarship, which are essentially: 1) dont fail too many classes (one is ok), 2) dont fail step 1 or 2, 3) dont get too many professionalism forms (I think 4 forms = 1 formal writeup so just dont get a writeup)

I believe the monthly stipend (if you got full tuition + col) is around 3k
If you don't get COL initially in the PDF, can this be something they communicate after FAFSA?

If you don't get COL initially in the PDF, can this be something they communicate after FAFSA?
I was talking about merit scholarships, which don't factor in your financial situation. I'm not sure how financial aid works.

If they say not to and u do it prolly won’t help and prolly will hurt
(re LOI) I understand but the wording is simply "Unless you withdraw your application from UT Southwestern we will presume that you would consider an offer of acceptance from us. No additional letter is necessary at this time." which makes me hesitant as I'm wondering if it's one of those other "optional" things that aren't really optional. It just says that it's not necessary per se. I know I'm probably overthinking this and I shouldn't send anything but I would hate to not send something if it might help. Would appreciate additional insight into this if anyone has any