2023-2024 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also waitlisted, interviewed 12/1, do they give a ranking?

Members don't see this ad.

How important is it to attend the meet & greet? I had already booked a flight that would arrive afterward :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 11/30 - Got accepted by email to the KCU Joplin campus 2 hours ago. I applied to the KC campus so not too sure what this means.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed 11/30 - Got accepted by email to the KCU Joplin campus 2 hours ago. I applied to the KC campus so not too sure what this means.

Congrats! If you're unsure about the Joplin campus, I don't have any friends at the Joplin campus that regret being in Joplin over KC. They have their pros and cons. For example, rent

as someone who is big on location, i remember there being a waitlist if you wanted to be considered for a campus you did not get accepted to. however, i don’t remember if that means it takes your acceptance off the table entirely. does anyone remember?

as someone who is big on location, i remember there being a waitlist if you wanted to be considered for a campus you did not get accepted to. however, i don’t remember if that means it takes your acceptance off the table entirely. does anyone remember?

If you want to do that, you take your acceptance off the table entirely. You should not do that unless you have another A or you absolutely can not stay at one campus for logistical or practical reasons. However, if you do get an A, that means you're likely next highest on their radar to hand out the next A. It's hard to say what your chances would be if you did that, but I reckon they would be greater than 50%. But that's still a dangerous game to play

How was your interview experience w/o going into too much detail?
overall one of my favorite interviews! definitely prepare well and try to be calm/be yourself!! feel free to DM me, sorry for my delayed response I didn't see this lol

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to do that, you take your acceptance off the table entirely. You should not do that unless you have another A or you absolutely can not stay at one campus for logistical or practical reasons. However, if you do get an A, that means you're likely next highest on their radar to hand out the next A. It's hard to say what your chances would be if you did that, but I reckon they would be greater than 50%. But that's still a dangerous game to play
So I called and asked and she informed me that the KC campus is full. Joplin is close to being full. So I can go on the waitlist but if Joplin fills while I’m on it, then I must stay on the waitlist and hope for the best. But if I go on it and then, say 2 weeks later, call and say nevermind I’ll accept Joplin and there’s still space, then I still have the acceptance. I hope this info helps other people, too!!

So I called and asked and she informed me that the KC campus is full. Joplin is close to being full. So I can go on the waitlist but if Joplin fills while I’m on it, then I must stay on the waitlist and hope for the best. But if I go on it and then, say 2 weeks later, call and say nevermind I’ll accept Joplin and there’s still space, then I still have the acceptance. I hope this info helps other people, too!!

Oh wow they used to not do that, I'm glad they give you that option

If it helps, everyone that got in during the fall has a matriculation deposit due on January 14th to keep their spot. I'm guessing that there may be some movement due to people not committing to KCU. Not sure how they'll move the waitlist, but fingers crossed for you!

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If it helps, everyone that got in during the fall has a matriculation deposit due on January 14th to keep their spot. I'm guessing that there may be some movement due to people not committing to KCU. Not sure how they'll move the waitlist, but fingers crossed for you!
She did say that they're not expecting movement until around May, if there is any, just because KC is full already. She said they conclude interviews in Feb, too. Thank you for the kind wishes :) I have a month till my deposit to figure out what I want to do so which is helpful.

I didn't get off the waitlist until May like a lot of my waitlisted classmates

I didn't get off the waitlist until May like a lot of my waitlisted classmates
Was this the general waitlist for an acceptance? Or the waitlist to change campuses? (Im not sure if they're the same waitlist or not so sorry if that might be a dumb question)

Hi, could someone please clarify the format of the virtual interview? I understand its being divided into the following sections:

1. Curriculum overview
2. Student Panel
3. Group Activity
4. Interview
5. Closing

From what I understand we are only being evaluated during the Group Activity and Interview section? What is the student panel? Are we going to be asked questions and assessed during the panel as well or is just another info session?

does that mean anyone interviewing later in the cycle is interviewing for Joplin? or a WL position?

Truthfully medical school is 4 years. and in all honesty, you'll only be on campus for 2 years because 3rd year you apply for clerkships and can opt to another site and 4th year you're on auditions. I would say, stop worrying about location because a lot of people would fight for your spot even it being a less ideal location.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Hi, could someone please clarify the format of the virtual interview? I understand its being divided into the following sections:

1. Curriculum overview
2. Student Panel
3. Group Activity
4. Interview
5. Closing

From what I understand we are only being evaluated during the Group Activity and Interview section? What is the student panel? Are we going to be asked questions and assessed during the panel as well or is just another info session?
The student panel is an opportunity for all the interviewees to ask current KCU students questions about their experiences at KCU. Basically another opportunity for you to get more information about what it's like to be a KCU student but there's no presentation during it. You simply ask them questions and they'll answer the best they can. You're not being evaluated during this.

The student panel is an opportunity for all the interviewees to ask current KCU students questions about their experiences at KCU. Basically another opportunity for you to get more information about what it's like to be a KCU student but there's no presentation during it. You simply ask them questions and they'll answer the best they can. You're not being evaluated during this.
Thank you for clarifying! I was stressing about it.

Truthfully medical school is 4 years. and in all honesty, you'll only be on campus for 2 years because 3rd year you apply for clerkships and can opt to another site and 4th year you're on auditions. I would say, stop worrying about location because a lot of people would fight for your spot even it being a less ideal location.
Another fourth-year at KCU here. 100% agree with not worrying about location. Also I've heard good things about the hospital within Joplin, and it hosts some of KCU's in-house residency programs.

There's been a few Joplin students that have rotated with us in KC during third year as well so it's not like you can't get a spot for the KC, Detroit, Cali or Florida rotation sites. On top of that fourth year is very flexible so you could reasonably do most of it in a location of your choice, depending on audition rotations and available preceptors that you find yourself.

unless you have another acceptance somewhere else...then go where you'll be most comfortable. You couldn't pay me to live in Joplin, but some people like it.

unless you have another acceptance somewhere else...then go where you'll be most comfortable. You couldn't pay me to live in Joplin, but some people like it.

Don't say that, I haven't met anyone at the Joplin campus who hasn't loved it or had any regrets.

Hey everyone! I received an email from KCU on Nov. 8th stating the whole "my application had not resulted in an interview but would be reviewed periodically throughout the cycle". I felt my application was solid enough (cGPA is a 3.86, sGPA is a 3.82, 506 MCAT on the second retake, 2800+ hours patient care experience, good LORs, etc.) but I have not heard anything since from KCU. Is there still a chance to get an II from them or is it too late? Also thinking of sending in an additional LOR from my nurse manager on my floor who would write me a strong letter regarding my bedside manner with patients and families on a critical care floor and work ethic.

Hey everyone! I received an email from KCU on Nov. 8th stating the whole "my application had not resulted in an interview but would be reviewed periodically throughout the cycle". I felt my application was solid enough (cGPA is a 3.86, sGPA is a 3.82, 506 MCAT on the second retake, 2800+ hours patient care experience, good LORs, etc.) but I have not heard anything since from KCU. Is there still a chance to get an II from them or is it too late? Also thinking of sending in an additional LOR from my nurse manager on my floor who would write me a strong letter regarding my bedside manner with patients and families on a critical care floor and work ethic.

At this point the chances are probably low. Reach out to the app gurus on this forum for a breakdown of your app to see what might be missing if you don't get into any schools this time around. But yeah from those scores and GPA you have a solid app. It could have been your essays

Don't say that, I haven't met anyone at the Joplin campus who hasn't loved it or had any regrets.
I probably have a skewed pool since everyone I've talked to has moved to KC because they didn't like Joplin so I am sure there are lots of people that liked it and stayed there - just couldn't be me

For those who attended the meet & greet events, what was the dress code for the event? Was everyone in formal clothing (suited up) or just pants and a dress shirt (assuming indoors!).

For those who attended the meet & greet events, what was the dress code for the event? Was everyone in formal clothing (suited up) or just pants and a dress shirt (assuming indoors!).

i wore my fun suit (colored light blue and more casual), some guys wore full suits & some wore dress pants with a dress shirt. for women, i did not see many in dresses, most wore pants and a more casual blouse. comfortable shoes because you’ll be standing

Has anyone received any updates about admissions scholarships?

secondary submitted 12/23
OOS II today!!
But is the interview not for an A but for a WL???

At this point the chances are probably low. Reach out to the app gurus on this forum for a breakdown of your app to see what might be missing if you don't get into any schools this time around. But yeah from those scores and GPA you have a solid app. It could have been your essays

I actually got the II the other day!!! I’m just glad they’re considering me now

• Love
I actually got the II the other day!!! I’m just glad they’re considering me now

adult swim GIF by The Boondocks

secondary submitted 12/23
OOS II today!!
But is the interview not for an A but for a WL???
Current second year. Not sure how it is this year but when I applied I didn't interview until like march 1st and was accepted for Joplin halfway through April.

Idk who needs to hear this but if you're an accepted student thinking about signing a lease at Century Towers, don't

source: live there currently

Reactions: 7 users
It's KC, at some point someone is gonna try to break into your car unless your car is in a garage

I live in sky and it’s been nice. Also pricey, but one of the few places that has a garage which is why I chose it.