Zoo med and grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grey-eyed girl

Reaction score
Hey all!

This is my fist post here!

What are your opinions/ experiences with zoo med related internships and residencies and a less that optimal GPA? Any feedback or info on zoo med internships is welcome!

Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!

What are your opinions/ experiences with zoo med related internships and residencies and a less that optimal GPA? Any feedback or info on zoo med internships is welcome!

You will likely have to start out with small animal or two even then possibly large animal rotating depending on your goals before you get to residency land in zoo med. It is a very tough residency to get with so few available.

You will definitely need to do a rotating internship first, and then likely a specialty internship. Anecdotally, I've heard that zoo/wildlife/exotics residencies like people who have done large animal rotating internships, because most of their applicants will have done a small animal rotating internship and have less experience with hoofstock etc.

Hey all!

Match rate for residencies last year was 8% or so. That pool is largely people with stellar GPAs. From someone with zoo goals and a low GPA (and the desire to start living life soon), I recommend the experiential route vs. pursuing a residency. No harm in trying of course, but the odds are slim even for the best candidates. Approach realistically, have backup plans, be flexible.