Zoo Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KOM

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just watched a fun video on msn about a pair of dentists that do some work on the side at the zoo. It's under the video highlights section on the msn home page. This particular video shows them doing a root canal on a jaguar.

I never really thought about it before, but I think something like this would be so much fun. It would be nice to switch up the normal routine of working on people all day.

Members don't see this ad.

I saw a link to that on MSN.com too, but i haven't watched it yet because MSN video doesn't like Firefox very much...:thumbdown:

I've thought about working on animals' teeth too, but I'm guessing that you'll need a veterinary license to do so? Unless you were to work on your own pets, then you might not need one. Have you heard of dentists making crowns and "grills" for their pets? I read about that on MSN like 2 months ago.:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just watched a fun video on msn about a pair of dentists that do some work on the side at the zoo. It's under the video highlights section on the msn home page. This particular video shows them doing a root canal on a jaguar.

I never really thought about it before, but I think something like this would be so much fun. It would be nice to switch up the normal routine of working on people all day.

you have the opportunity to do this at louisville. another reason i :love: louisville!!!

:eek:

Think he just used some local anesthetic?? :laugh:

Veterinary dentists love talking about this during dental conventions. :) With large carnivores, they put the animal under general and do ALL the necessary things (any regular surgery, husbandry, exams, etc.) at once, including the dental work. I agree that local would not be the best idea.... ;)

Also, DDS/DMDs can't do this; only vets (DVM and the other one) who do a lot of dental work on animals. However, their setups in vet clinics look identical to human setups! It figures; I mean, if a carnivore started losing teeth, it would starve to death.