Zometa/bisphosphs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Leave it to the lawyers. I'd rather risk BRONJ and mandible resection than endure the pain and potential for pathologic fracture from bone mets.

I was down in Miami for an OMFS interview with Dr. Marx the day before this article was published. He served as the expert witness for this case. He had some pretty interesting things to say about it! The guy is brilliant and it is hard to disagree with his disdain for these companies

Members don't see this ad :)
I was down in Miami for an OMFS interview with Dr. Marx the day before this article was published. He served as the expert witness for this case. He had some pretty interesting things to say about it! The guy is brilliant and it is hard to disagree with his disdain for these companies

Painting these drugs/drug companies as the enemy is a mistake. The fact is bisphosphonates substantially decrease morbidity and mortality from metastatic disease, myeloma, and severe osteoporosis. Frankly, the morbidity/mortality from each of these conditions is orders of magnitude worse than BRONJ. BRONJ is a nuisance in comparison. Hip fracture vs BRONJ? Myeloma vs BRONJ? Metastatic breast/prostate cancer vs BRONJ? BRONJ is the lesser evil by far in every instance. Furthermore, the majority of BRONJ cases respond well to conservative treatment. Mandible resesection is not even close to being the most likely outcome. I think it's unfortunate some dentists blame these drugs without fully appreciating the lifesaving impact they have on thousands of patients.

Painting these drugs/drug companies as the enemy is a mistake. The fact is bisphosphonates substantially decrease morbidity and mortality from metastatic disease, myeloma, and severe osteoporosis. Frankly, the morbidity/mortality from each of these conditions is orders of magnitude worse than BRONJ. BRONJ is a nuisance in comparison. Hip fracture vs BRONJ? Myeloma vs BRONJ? Metastatic breast/prostate cancer vs BRONJ? BRONJ is the lesser evil by far in every instance. Furthermore, the majority of BRONJ cases respond well to conservative treatment. Mandible resesection is not even close to being the most likely outcome. I think it's unfortunate some dentists blame these drugs without fully appreciating the lifesaving impact they have on thousands of patients.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Excellent.

Now back to renal. Kidneys are connected to the mouth somehow.

The drugs have a use in clinical practice, however as you all will eventually see their dosages and regimens are far from perfect. There have been cover-ups from the phamraceutical companies regarding their results and complications. This is already being shown in on-going trials...

The pharmaceutical companies are at fault here. There is no denying it.

I agree though that there are many dentists who do not fully understand the implications of these drugs and just blindly blame them based on what they see/hear regarding BIONJ...