Zero science background but would like to pursue Dental Hygiene

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wingz33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greeting all ,

I have an extremely poor science background which almost zero. I wanted to become a Dental Hygiene. I would like to take this challenge, i wanted to do something for my future.

I am planning to go Canada this Sep 2013 as an international student. There are two options either Vancouver or Ontario's universities or collges. i'm confusing now to make a right decision of program to follow Dental Hygiene pathway since i am very poor in science background. Any kind of program to gain my general science, biology, chemistry, physic, math ? This must be pre-requisite to meet the requirement to enroll Dental Hygiene.

Please kindly advise what can i plan for in order to involve myself into Dental industry. There would be great if any affordable universities and colleges listed down.

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Greeting all ,

I have an extremely poor science background which almost zero. I wanted to become a Dental Hygiene. I would like to take this challenge, i wanted to do something for my future.

I am planning to go Canada this Sep 2013. There are two options either Vancouver or Ontario's universities or collges. i'm confusing now to make a right decision of program to follow Dental Hygiene pathway since i am very poor in science background. Any kind of program to gain my general science, biology, chemistry, physic, math ? This must be pre-requisite to meet the requirement to enroll Dental Hygiene.

Please kindly advise what can i plan for in order to involve myself into Dental industry. There would be great if any affordable universities and colleges listed down.

Thank you

Dont worry the science pre-requisites for dental hygiene are a piece of cake. You will be albe to do very well in them, even with no background in science.

well obviously you aren't going to have a science background if you haven't done the prerequisities yet. but that is the case for everyone who first decides to go into the science/healthcare field. i'm not sure what you are trying to say... all the prerequisites start off with the basics (for people who have prior knowledge or first timers)

and sorry i can't help you out with schools in canada because i don't know how the education system is like there. you can take the prerequisite classes anywhere (either a 4 year univeristy or a community college)

Members don't see this ad :)
Are Dental hygiene easy ? I contacted to the college and with my high school transcript, i did not meet the requirement to enroll Dental Hygiene course. What is the best solution ?

well obviously you aren't going to have a science background if you haven't done the prerequisities yet. but that is the case for everyone who first decides to go into the science/healthcare field. i'm not sure what you are trying to say... all the prerequisites start off with the basics (for people who have prior knowledge or first timers)

and sorry i can't help you out with schools in canada because i don't know how the education system is like there. you can take the prerequisite classes anywhere (either a 4 year univeristy or a community college)

Yeah, What is the process to become a Dental Hygiene ? I do not know where to start. As i read some information to become a Dental Hygiene. I need to go for pre-professional program which come with all the general science, bio, math, physic , chemistry to pre-requisite to Diploma Dental hygiene. Is that correct ?

If your high school grades aren't good enough you might have to take classes at a community college. I would find the schools you are interested in and ask them how to get in, I doubt many people on here will be of help in your particular situation. Google is a good tool as well.

Yeah, What is the process to become a Dental Hygiene ? I do not know where to start. As i read some information to become a Dental Hygiene. I need to go for pre-professional program which come with all the general science, bio, math, physic , chemistry to pre-requisite to Diploma Dental hygiene. Is that correct ?

It really depends on the school you're applying to. Some schools require you to take prerequisites at a university or college. Other school only need your high school grades and you'll also need to write an Admission Exam.

If your high school grades aren't good enough you might have to take classes at a community college. I would find the schools you are interested in and ask them how to get in, I doubt many people on here will be of help in your particular situation. Google is a good tool as well.

I been trying a plenty times to search but i couldn't even find one. Anyone can send me the link. it would be great and much appreciated your helping. thank you

It really depends on the school you're applying to. Some schools require you to take prerequisites at a university or college. Other school only need your high school grades and you'll also need to write an Admission Exam.

Yeah, i contacted to the college which provided Dental hygiene program and I am having a problem with my high school grades which i did not meet the requirement to enroll Diploma Dental hygiene. i am stuck now. I'm open for anyone suggestion and advise. thanks :)

Is English your second language? No offense but just to correct you....
You want to become a dental hygienist to practice dental hygiene.

Back when I became a hygienist, I had to take Algebra, Anatomy and Phy 1&2, Intro to Chem, Sociology, Psychology and maybe others before applying. It was long ago so prerequisites might be different now.
Good luck and this may not be the best place to get advice for dental hygiene as mostly predental students come here.

Yeah, i contacted to the college which provided Dental hygiene program and I am having a problem with my high school grades which i did not meet the requirement to enroll Diploma Dental hygiene. i am stuck now. I'm open for anyone suggestion and advise. thanks :)

Which college are you applying to? Did you ask them what you can do to meet the admission requirements? I think people go to centre high (I think that's what it's called) to improve their high school grades in order to get into universities or colleges, but I'm not exactly sure as I never had to go through this route

The American Dental Education Association would like to announce the launching of the Dental Hygiene Centralized Application Service (DHCAS). This is a centralized application service for individuals applying to entry level, degree completion, and graduate degree dental hygiene programs. As such, applicants are able to apply to multiple participating programs with one application and one set of documents. For more information on ADEA DHCAS, please visit www.adeadhcas.org!!

The American Dental Education Association would like to announce the launching of the Dental Hygiene Centralized Application Service (DHCAS). This is a centralized application service for individuals applying to entry level, degree completion, and graduate degree dental hygiene programs. As such, applicants are able to apply to multiple participating programs with one application and one set of documents. For more information on ADEA DHCAS, please visit www.adeadhcas.org.