Zebra in a field of Horses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely possible, especially with that high MCAT, congrats on such a score. Not sure how it will go, but I am sure the new schools will give you interviews and possible the mid-tier DO schools as well. It is uncertain how the older schools will look at your app. I think the ones that value your MCAT and your clinic experiences will give you an interview. I have definitely seen people with lower stats get into the older schools so anything is possible (I think I will be flamed for this comment, LOL oh well).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, what was the school you didn't apply to? TCOM?

I didn't apply to kcumb because they specifically say you need a min 3.25. I think there are others like that but I didn't want to look and waste time when my app was finished so I just sent it in. I submitted July 21st so I'm guessing six weeks at this point.

I'm hoping for something on the west coast.

MCAT of 34 with a freaking 14 in bio? Three DO letters?! Yeah, you're going to be fine. Don't sweat it. I'd trade my 3.6 for your MCAT any day, especially if you have a strong upward trend. College obviously started out a bit rough for you, but that MCAT more than proves that you know your stuff.

great job OP. you'll get in somewhere. don't sweat it.

I just posted something in a western specific thread but wanted to get a general idea from everyone. A doctor once told me that my application is "like a zebra in a field of horses" because of my GPA and MCAT.

I have worked hard to make my application DO specific so here we go.

sGPA - 3.02 , cGPA - 3.08 with an upward trend. MCAT: 34 (V-10, P-10, B-14).

I have over 5 years clinical experience as a heart monitor technician working night-shift through college to support myself. I worked on two different research positions and am still working on clinical research at the hospital I work at. I secured 3 DO letters, and 1 MD letter with over 150 hours of shadowing. I also attended both OMED 2013, and OPSC 2014 conferences and many classes and the San Diego Osteopathic Medical Association for CME training for current doctors. Over 300 hours as a counselor at a leadership training camp, over 200 working in mexico as a volunteer at medical clinics, and also volunteered to teach Jazz guitar and music to campers at camp and a cancer patient.

What do you guys think of my chances?!?

I applied pretty broadly (34 our of 35 school) so I am really hoping for something here. If it came down to only one school, I would go there no matter what.

Thanks for the help!

I like ur chances at the touro.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I just posted something in a western specific thread but wanted to get a general idea from everyone. A doctor once told me that my application is "like a zebra in a field of horses" because of my GPA and MCAT.

I have over 5 years clinical experience as a heart monitor technician working night-shift through college to support myself. I worked on two different research positions and am still working on clinical research at the hospital I work at. I secured 3 DO letters, and 1 MD letter with over 150 hours of shadowing. I also attended both OMED 2013, and OPSC 2014 conferences and many classes and the San Diego Osteopathic Medical Association for CME training for current doctors. Over 300 hours as a counselor at a leadership training camp, over 200 working in mexico as a volunteer at medical clinics, and also volunteered to teach Jazz guitar and music to campers at camp and a cancer patient.

I applied pretty broadly (34 our of 35 school) so I am really hoping for something here. If it came down to only one school, I would go there no matter what.

Thanks for the help!
You will be cancelling interviews...

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks for the help!
Yea you only need to apply to like 10-15... 34 or 35 is ridiculously overkill. You are better off focusing on a dozen schools that you can really cater your app to and write solid secondaries, than 3 dozen. Just make sure the schools dont have GPA cutoffs/autoscreens. Some schools care more for MCAT than gpa (someone mentioned the Touros for instance). So your best bet is at those types of places.

i can't believe the money you spent on 34 apps lol.

Who knows? You may be an Unicorn.

tumblr_n08mc20A6E1tpo3v2o1_1280.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
I also attended both OMED 2013, and OPSC 2014 conferences and many classes and the San Diego Osteopathic Medical Association for CME training for current doctors.

Just wondering what the process was to attend a CME training? I would think that it's not really a pre-med type of event...did you have to jump through any hoops? The OPSC 2014 sounds a bit more open to pre-med's...is that correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the encouragement! I applied to so many schools because no matter what I want to start next year. I have taken chances in the past and this was one things I was not willing to take a chance on. At the end of the day, its not too much money knowing that it will mean I can finally attend medical school.

Just wondering what the process was to attend a CME training? I would think that it's not really a pre-med type of event...did you have to jump through any hoops? The OPSC 2014 sounds a bit more open to pre-med's...is that correct?

In terms of OMED, OPSC, and CME, I just emailed who ever was the contact info for either applying or joining the organization or event. I stated that I am a student interested in osteopathic medicine and would love a chance to learn more by attending your program. All of them said yes and everything was free. If you live in Seattle area and want to go to OMED 2014, which I would HIGHLY recommend, I would just email whoever is listed on the application for doctors and they will be very cool about it. Everyone was pretty excited to see premeds at these events.

i have pretty similar stats to you (32 MCAT 3.15 GPA) and have been told by lots of people i'll be fiiiiiiiiine. so i'll pay it forward... you'll be fiiiiiiiiiine dude. congrats on your MCAT and try to relax throughout this nerve racking process!

edit, and autoscreens are not ironclad, i've made it through a few. i think when actual human eyes see an app it's helpful for not getting screened

As long as you ended with an upward trend, I think western will interview you. I hope you get in. I know what it's like fighting with a low GPA.

I'm a western student by the way.

I'd do a SMP at a MD program before applying DO.

As long as you ended with an upward trend, I think western will interview you. I hope you get in. I know what it's like fighting with a low GPA.

I'm a western student by the way.
Hey thanks for the replies. I'm actually going to visit western on the 12 for a tour and to meet someone from the faculty. Any specific advice or tips?

Thanks!

- Daniel

Thanks for all the encouragement! I applied to so many schools because no matter what I want to start next year. I have taken chances in the past and this was one things I was not willing to take a chance on. At the end of the day, its not too much money knowing that it will mean I can finally attend medical school.

In terms of OMED, OPSC, and CME, I just emailed who ever was the contact info for either applying or joining the organization or event. I stated that I am a student interested in osteopathic medicine and would love a chance to learn more by attending your program. All of them said yes and everything was free. If you live in Seattle area and want to go to OMED 2014, which I would HIGHLY recommend, I would just email whoever is listed on the application for doctors and they will be very cool about it. Everyone was pretty excited to see premeds at these events.

I am attending OMED 2014 in Seattle.

I'd do a SMP at a MD program before applying DO.
this would most likely delay OP's entry into medical school until 2017. He couldn't start the SMP until 2015-2016 and then would have to wait yet another year to apply so MD schools can see the grades. I agree with you most of the time, but 3 years + debt + still a substantial risk of not getting in is not in the OP's best interests.

Apply broadly. I worry that after an interview at my school, someone will say "nice guy/gal, but I'm worried about the low GPAs".

if you haven't done so already, retake any F/D/C science coursework.

Thanks for the help!

I applied to 34 out of 35 schools and I retook my one D. I feel that I'm really solid besides the gpa. Hopefully I'll be verified by the end of the month with good news to follow that!

I applied to 34 out of 35 schools and I retook my one D. I feel that I'm really solid besides the gpa. Hopefully I'll be verified by the end of the month with good news to follow that!

OP your stats are shockingly similar to what I had when I applied. I also had extensive and long term ECs (like you). I'm starting 2nd year now. I got in when I applied late on my first app attempt (I wouldn't recommend it, you're timing is fine). You'll probably get in somewhere, just apply broadly and really sell yourself.

The problem with people like us is that with the GPA, they get really nervous about whether or not you'll be able to handle the curriculum. You really have to sell that you are doing better and fixed and learned from your mistakes.

Last edited:
Zebras have never been able to be domesticated.

Hey thanks for the replies. I'm actually going to visit western on the 12 for a tour and to meet someone from the faculty. Any specific advice or tips?

Thanks!

- Daniel
Try to network and stay in touch with the people you meet.