ZDoggMD Interview with Pain Doc about being Mis-Diagnosed by PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score

In EM, you're trained, "All 'first, worst, or thunderclap" headaches get a CT and LP. So, sudden onset worst headache of your life isn't a "wine headache" unless you've got a negative head CT and LP negative for RBC, even if head has improved (because warning headaches from sentinel bleeds are common). It's a subacrachnoid hemorrhage until proven otherwise. Most turn out not to be, but there's only one way to rule it out, and if you miss it, young people that walked in awake and alert, leave in a body bag. And you get sued, and lose every time.

If the patient refuses the CT, or more commonly the LP, then that's on them, but you tell them what is indicated and recommended and document that, plus informed refusal.

I didn't listen to the interview, but very few life threatening causes of headache are going to slip by a CT and LP, in combination. And they're two very quick, easy and safe tests to do. So, without having listened to the interview and from reading the headline only, lemme guess: Subarachnoid hemorrhage from ruptured aneurysm.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
just listening to the first minute made me think "I wonder if she is has a partner to do her PDPH blood patch" if the CT is negative.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
To be fair to the PA, this is not as bad as a nurse practitioner practicing independently without supervision and almost missing a fatal diagnosis. The PA made the wrong diagnosis prior to discussing with her supervising physician...presumably the bossman would have easily and quickly caught the urgency and instructed the PA this was a serious matter.

Reactions: 1 user
What does it matter the PA's judgment was tragically wrong? Midlevels "care more", and that's what it's all about. Who needs one of those greedy antisocial doctors with all their pretentious sounding book knowledge, experience, keen observations skills, and rigorous personal standards for excellence.

And what's up with the ED nurse ready and willing to give Toradol to a patient for headache workup? Was this her first day? One would think... oh, never mind.

Thank's for introducing me to ZDoggMD. I love him already.

Last edited: