Z lines change? Edit: Nevermind--Z lines change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaintJude

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nevermind z-lines change. Princeton was wrong.

TPRH discrete no.110

during skeletal muscle contraction, which band can be seen to to contract under microscope

A. the i band and h zone
D. the z line

Princeton: Z lines are ends of sarcomere. the length of these do not change during contraction

Kaplan: Z-lines, I-band and H-zone--all of the get smaller or closer together during contraction because they are defined relative to one another

Anyone have EK or BR to finalize who is right?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Nevermind z-lines change. Princeton was wrong.

TPRH discrete no.110

during skeletal muscle contraction, which band can be seen to to contract under microscope

A. the i band and h zone
D. the z line

Princeton: Z lines are ends of sarcomere. the length of these do not change during contraction

Kaplan: Z-lines, I-band and H-zone--all of the get smaller or closer together during contraction because they are defined relative to one another

Anyone have EK or BR to finalize who is right?

I bolded the important point. Z-lines do not get shorter, but they do get closer together. PR and Kaplan are consistent with each other.

The length of the A-band stays the same. Everybody else move closer to the M-line.

Note that the M-line and the Z-disc do not change in their (minuscule) length, but you should think of them as points and not actual distances.

From EK: Z moves closer during muscle contraction, and Z moves apart during muscle relaxation (however this is not shortening/lengthening)

A is the same for everything

H and I shortens for contraction and lengthens for relaxation