YouTube crackdown on medical misinformation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chartreuse Wombat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
You know the answer is no. OS benefit of over 200%!!!
Despite the criticism that proton patients aren't being treated on clinical trials, protons and Xrays for prostate cancer have now been COMPPAREd in a massive clinical trial, over 1,000 patients per arm. We will probably see the 2 year follow up data on bRFS and QOL as a late breaking abstract at ASTRO in 2024.

I don't think proton centers are who youtube is going after, what with protons being FDA approved since 1988.

A bigger question is, if protons are found to have a better PSA control and/or QOL, does Youtube come after people advertising their Linac for prostate cancer?

If COMPPARE turns out favorably for protons, it will probably guarantee the future viability of all proton centers worldwide.

Members don't see this ad :)
Despite the criticism that proton patients aren't being treated on clinical trials, protons and Xrays for prostate cancer have now been COMPPAREd in a massive clinical trial, over 1,000 patients per arm. We will probably see the 2 year follow up data on bRFS and QOL as a late breaking abstract at ASTRO in 2024.

I don't think proton centers are who youtube is going after, what with protons being FDA approved since 1988.

A bigger question is, if protons are found to have a better PSA control and/or QOL, does Youtube come after people advertising their Linac for prostate cancer?

If COMPPARE turns out favorably for protons, it will probably guarantee the future viability of all proton centers worldwide.
Do you think COMPPARE will be positive?

Is Legion Healthcare Partners hiring?

You guys will be effin set

Reactions: 1 user

It’s hard to imagine that protons could be positive considering the vast majority of patients have almost no side effects to begin with. (Caveat is ED, if you can reduce that I’ll be impressed though)

But really, after most academic centers have essentially said that hypofrac is ok despite slightly worse acute side effects how are we going tk rationalize protons based on qol/ side effects

Reactions: 1 users

Was it a randomized trial?

There is no randomized comparison of protons and photons in COMPPARE. The only randomized component is fractionation in proton patients.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok then what’s the value? Just another short course option?
You would need to ask the PI and CTEP for value. The experimental arm is 70 Gy in 28 fractions. The comparison of protons to photons is non-randomized using QOL/PRO.
You can probably make 28 fraction protons work but it will very difficult to come up with a sustainable model for five fractions (which is the real competition)

Do you think COMPPARE will be positive?
No. But that is not a financially tenable conclusion. They will do whatever subset analysis is needed to spin it positive.

“Well the trial didn’t meet its primary endpoint BUT . . . protons are clearly superior if you look at the 5 year hydrogel free, IMRT free progression free survival!”

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
No. But that is not a financially tenable conclusion. They will do whatever subset analysis is needed to spin it positive.

“Well the trial didn’t meet its primary endpoint BUT . . . protons are clearly superior if you look at the 5 year hydrogel free, IMRT free progression free survival!”
That is a separate question: will it be allowed to be negative? Many are saying it!

Until the randomized PartiQol trial is published showing no benefit.

Protons never gonna win at 5 year hydrogel free survival....

COMPARRE or whatever is going to be too little too late. The snake oil salesmen will continue selling.

You would need to ask the PI and CTEP for value. The experimental arm is 70 Gy in 28 fractions. The comparison of protons to photons is non-randomized using QOL/PRO.
You can probably make 28 fraction protons work but it will very difficult to come up with a sustainable model for five fractions (which is the real competition)

Shoot. I wish they would’ve asked me so I could’ve saved them millions of dollars running the study:

The shorter course will have more side effects, but there will be a quote saying “these are acceptable rates of side effects” (since the authors arbitrarily decide what’s acceptable). Then the conclusion will be “this provides another option for patients selecting proton therapy”

As far as the benefits of protons over photons: protons don’t need data to attract patients and never have. They’ve got a good line of BS that seems to do the trick.

Reactions: 3 users

It's funny you say that.

Anecdotally I never saw much change in photon side effects with or with out the gel. But the proton experience has been pretty dramatic from the proton folks I know and some anecdotes. The gel helped a TON and essentially became mandated in my neck of the woods for protons.

Of course these are anecdotes from my city, inpatient consults for proctitis, word of mouth, etc.

I know the spaceOAR instruction videos are from a big proton center in florida as I recall.

Last edited: