Yousif, the Bot...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

No Imagination

I
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yousif - You are either the most unimaginative person on the planet, or an ingeniously programmed bot...

Almost passed the turing test...

Members don't see this ad.

I dont think your turing test reference is going to be properly appreciated on these forums.

You'd be surprised :)

I am actually quite curious if it is a bot or not... may actually be someone behind it - So I guess they did pass (or I am not smart enough to evaluate the Turring exam)... which makes me very very sad.

Some of the posts are very well formulated and specific to the threads (like the colorful reference). I spent some time trying to figure out the algorithm, but that will have to wait - test tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read bot and thought you meant bot fly at first... hee.

wow. almost, but not quite, IMHO.

To wit:

In the post on scrubs and necklaces (Allo forums), there was no "s" on the end of the word scrubs.

The post read:

"It is okay to wear your necklace with your scrub."

i would argue that this is NOT an error that a real medical student would be likely to make, especially as the last word of a post. this, to me, indicates an error thrown in to appear more human.

In the "I had a dream . . ." thread, the response to "Check your email's settings and remove their email from the spam list" seems to be a generated reply to analysis of ". . . this clip someone else posted and just had to send AGAIN," possibly reading the all caps of "AGAIN" as stress or annoyance at a repetitive action.

The "Skype" thread message, to me, is just too much hodgepodge and non-sequitur. There was no discussion of using it as a messaging service, and the comment on viruses doesn't even fit an approximation of a correct sentence.

And, I could be over-thinking, but the use of "Adorable" in responses in both picture threads ("Name that dog" and "I'm bored') is too constant. In addition, the suggested name doesn't seem to take the stated gender of the dog into account (although Bobby is a little androgynous).

It's appreciated. I'm curious as well...

I'm gonna go with bot.

ETA: Although I'm not clear (because I've never actually written code for a bot) how it could post to a forum . . . and I have coded a few of those (forums).

Last edited:
Skype Necklace Scrub Adorable Kitten Check Out Picture Email Security Virus Yousif

Lets See If We Can Get A Response :)

I am not at all tech savvy. Can someone explain what a bot is? I too thought bot fly when I first read it!

I have no idea what this thread is about, could someone enlighten me :confused:

Ever go on Aim? Know those "Buddy's" you can get for automatically - they can tell you things (ask them questions and such?)

Those are bots. Later on tonight ill give a more descriptive definition, but basically, I think Yousif is a computer program (theory anyway) - I may be wrong...

By using those keywords I was TRYING to illicit a response

I haven't read all its posts but mistoffles I agree, the skye post is convoluted.

Its freakin me out!

No imagination, what made you think of it? I just wouldn't have analyzed ones posts like that I think...

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't know, one of the posts looked suspicious, and looked through the rest, seemed... 'odd'. Also has a few of the posts in some pretty random threads.

I used to admin a board a while back, got pretty good at spotting fishy threads, but I must admit, this is some new coding.

I am going to feel really bad if they (poster) turns out to be a foreigner who just has poor English

oh dear.

it starts with the "vets" . . .

pun very much intended.

wow. almost, but not quite, IMHO.

To wit:

In the post on scrubs and necklaces (Allo forums), there was no "s" on the end of the word scrubs.

The post read:

"It is okay to wear your necklace with your scrub."

i would argue that this is NOT an error that a real medical student would be likely to make, especially as the last word of a post. this, to me, indicates an error thrown in to appear more human.

In the "I had a dream . . ." thread, the response to "Check your email's settings and remove their email from the spam list" seems to be a generated reply to analysis of ". . . this clip someone else posted and just had to send AGAIN," possibly reading the all caps of "AGAIN" as stress or annoyance at a repetitive action.

The "Skype" thread message, to me, is just too much hodgepodge and non-sequitur. There was no discussion of using it as a messaging service, and the comment on viruses doesn't even fit an approximation of a correct sentence.

And, I could be over-thinking, but the use of "Adorable" in responses in both picture threads ("Name that dog" and "I'm bored') is too constant. In addition, the suggested name doesn't seem to take the stated gender of the dog into account (although Bobby is a little androgynous).

Skype thread is as you say, especially the 'virus' comment (which totally threw me), but don't see it as a threat.

And the 'adorable' comments on the 'name that dog' are factual. I think i even made one of them..

don't know about the rest. I know i don't fully understand this bot thread.....but maybe y'all have something...

I just read his posts... that is really weird.. completely off topic comments.... now im curious

unless it's playing the game as well, and is sophisticated enough to recognize bait.

It'd make sense that when the AI rise up they'd start with an area crucial to the human populace and easily within their reach: the internet! (bum bum bummmmmm!!)

The (ro)bots are amongst us! I hope they know the first law...

Just curious, why would there bve a bot on here. What is the purpose?

ha now i think everyone on here is super interested to see if it is a bot or not... i keep checking back this thread to see if he's posted...

AHH!!! The suspense is killing me lol:D

Bots = Robots = Programs

Just curious, why would there bve a bot on here. What is the purpose?

To blend in, data mine e-mails, names, ect. (perhaps, but doubtful), and ultimately to spam advertisements.

Now, why all the subterfuge. Well, if 'they' just spammed advertisements, they would get banned... so 'they' have to be subtle to stay out of the spotlight.

Check out this "Bot" from the vet forum...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=622006

Here, one "account" posted a message, and another "Account" answered it. We are meant to believe that 'they' are two different people, giving the response more credence, and therefore be more likely to click the link.

It's really pretty cool the levels and ingenuity these coders go through to get buy the Mods of these forums.

Also, consider that if a link is provided to you, by a member of the community, you are more likely to click it, as opposed to the advertisements on the top that pretty much none of even see any more.

Ahh i see, well now my interest is piqued. I was a little put off my the cold response yousef posted in one of my threads, this makes me feel better lol. :p

Weird. So people put these "bots" online to advertise and annoy? Some people have entirely too much time on their hands. :oops:

Bots are pretty common in chat rooms and game rooms. If you want to see a bot in action, just go to yahoo games and look in a busy game room, there's bound to be at least three of them telling you that they're 17 and hott and look at their webcam please. :rolleyes:

How often does Yousef post? Seems like last week s/he/it appeared out of the blue and put a post on every thread, then disappeared again.

Has anyone actually asked Yousif in a PM? You know, all casual like, "Say, are you a robot?" I am sure that would go over real well. :thumbup:

Has anyone actually asked Yousif in a PM? You know, all casual like, "Say, are you a robot?" I am sure that would go over real well. :thumbup:

And that's the point of the Turing test. If we ask yousif if he/she is a bot, we will get an answer which we then have to interpret. that answer is in no way guaranteed to answer our question.

Ahh i see, well now my interest is piqued. I was a little put off my the cold response yousef posted in one of my threads, this makes me feel better lol. :p

HA! Yeah, his comment made no sense.

I'm guessing ESL.

Pretty much. :) Something like, "Some people are saying you're a robot. Is it true? I don't mean to offend you. Hope you have a great day!" lol

OMG, i just had red wine come out of my nose!!! "Have a great day".....that is the absolute best :rofl:

You will probably get something like, 'check status, check status.....' hahahaaa

Pretty much. :) Something like, "Some people are saying you're a robot. Is it true? I don't mean to offend you. Hope you have a great day!" lol

Haha-that is awesome! Definately let us know what happens! :)

Any word from the Bot yet?? Probably blew a fuse from the PM....:laugh:

Any word from the Bot yet?? Probably blew a fuse from the PM....:laugh:

Everything is working as intended. Move along now. Absolutely nothing to see here...

1. If N is 0 or 1, abort.
2. Allocate a communication channel c.
3. Receive one prime factor, F, of N from the future on channel c.
Test that F ≠ N, that F divides N (time complexity O(log N)), and that F is prime (polynomial time; see AKS primality test).
a) If so, send F backwards in time on channel c.
b) If not, send F + 1 backwards in time on channel c. Note that this results in a paradox, as the number received in step 3 above is not the same as that sent in this step.

Yup, I got an AI, Turing, Future/Past, Infinite Logic Loop, and... forget, all in one equation - <3 wikipedia.

(That one is for Nyanko - but I am going to filter out the TRUE geeks among the vets. We will have our own parties during our CE Conferences in Las Vegas every year... We will make sure they correlate with E3)

I dont even know how to respond to that one. Well Played.

Everything is working as intended. Move along now. Absolutely nothing to see here...

1. If N is 0 or 1, abort.
2. Allocate a communication channel c.
3. Receive one prime factor, F, of N from the future on channel c.
Test that F &#8800; N, that F divides N (time complexity O(log N)), and that F is prime (polynomial time; see AKS primality test).
a) If so, send F backwards in time on channel c.
b) If not, send F + 1 backwards in time on channel c. Note that this results in a paradox, as the number received in step 3 above is not the same as that sent in this step.

Yup, I got an AI, Turing, Future/Past, Infinite Logic Loop, and... forget, all in one equation - <3 wikipedia.

(That one is for Nyanko - but I am going to filter out the TRUE geeks among the vets. We will have our own parties during our CE Conferences in Las Vegas every year... We will make sure they correlate with E3)

Wow... i feel like it's calculus all over again, a bunch of words, letters, symbols, and numbers that make sense to some, but to me, it leaves me speechless lol...

Ohhh... Defcon v. E3

We've been through a lot Nyanko - but this might be where we part ways (Always wanted to hit E3, Defcon...ergh, afraid I'd end up on the no fly list or something)

I'd be curious to know what you think of Joanhabety over on the veterinary forums page....HMMMMMMMMMMMM

AH, you made my heart jump...thought you heard from Yousif!!

Great, now i have to obsess over another potential bot....over to the vet forums i go. :D

Edit: i think you hit the nail on the head. Almost every post has the word 'nice' and is not longer than a sentence. Interrrrreeesstinnng.

Last edited:
So weird - What the hell are are 'selling' if it is a bot.

Only thing I can think of, is by increasing their post numbers, later on, a human will start tailoring advertisements to the posts.

But I dunno...

Maybe they dont have an agenda, maybe they are just unemployed programmers sick of sitting around writing iphone apps. They have to do something with their time.