You're too lazy to be a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Born2baDoctor

Medicine: A Natural High
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you tell a friend of high school age who wants to be a doctor but wants to do it for the wrong reasons? He is lazy, constantly absent and late from school (38/180 days absent) and late every day. He wants to be a doctor for money. He claims he can do whatever he wants because he would have his own practice. (doesn't realize that most new grads can't afford their own practice) and he lacks dedication to anything. I also want to be a doctor but I have more immersion in the hospital/healthcare field that visiting someone in the hospital or going to the doctor like he. What do you tell these people?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't go to class. When I do go, I'm more than likely late. I want to make a lot of money, but that's not why I want to be a physician; there are many more jobs that make 10x more money. Let your friend find out for himself. Perhaps he'll thoroughly enjoy the field, its practices, etc. Worry about yourself and only yourself.

Tell him good luck. Sounds just like I was in high school, especially the absenteeism. Once he hits college he'll either do what's necessary to get the grades, or he won't be accepted to med school. It's not on your shoulders to save the world from him.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would leave him alone. Very little you can say to him to make him more mature. He will learn when he gets to college and will get his ass kicked in his pre-med classes for not going to class and not studying. I had a friend in high school who was 10000% set on being an orthopedic surgeon. She also was the biggest slacker ever! Smart, but a huge slacker. Well, she didnt change her ways in college and was no longer pre-med after the first semester. Your friend will learn. Give it time.

Born2baDoctor said:
What do you tell a friend of high school age who wants to be a doctor but wants to do it for the wrong reasons? He is lazy, constantly absent and late from school (38/180 days absent) and late every day. He wants to be a doctor for money. He claims he can do whatever he wants because he would have his own practice. (doesn't realize that most new grads can't afford their own practice) and he lacks dedication to anything. I also want to be a doctor but I have more immersion in the hospital/healthcare field that visiting someone in the hospital or going to the doctor like he. What do you tell these people?
Tell him to take a year of Organic Chemistry with lab.

And smile when he fails.

bigfrank said:
Tell him to take a year of Organic Chemistry with lab.

And smile when he fails.

Just for the sake of discussion, he might not fail. Different people have different methods of learning. I know that in my undergrad organic courses, I was frequently absent due to its 8:00 AM scheduling. I still made it through with a strong grade. I guess what I'm trying to say is that people should not apply their limitations to other people. If the kid can learn on his own, let him learn on his own. That's essentially how I've done all of my schooling, and I'm ending my MS1 year with honors in most of my classes.

dbaldes said:
Just for the sake of discussion, he might not fail. Different people have different methods of learning. I know that in my undergrad organic courses, I was frequently absent due to its 8:00 AM scheduling. I still made it through with a strong grade. I guess what I'm trying to say is that people should not apply their limitations to other people. If the kid can learn on his own, let him learn on his own. That's essentially how I've done all of my schooling, and I'm ending my MS1 year with honors in most of my classes.
Well put

dbaldes said:

You're the exception to the rule considering it sounds like they still have to start college, or at least get into the medical pre-reqs. Kids who skip class in high school and college are usually slackers of some sort or another. I agree with everyone else that leaving him alone is the smart thing. If he's a real friend you could warn him that he could be in for a shock when he takes a weeder class or two, however he'll figure that out once he starts getting buried in work and realizes that the stoichiometry he never really learned isn't going away.

Born2baDoctor [B said:
What do you tell a friend of high school age who wants to be a doctor but wants to do it for the wrong reasons?
He is lazy, constantly absent and late from school (38/180 days absent) and late every day. [/B]
So what? as long as he learns his ****....Lots of med students cut class.

He wants to be a doctor for money.

What's wrong with liking money? who said it was wrong? Do you see all the doctors driving those lexuses, bmw's, benzes? Do they not like bling bling? If you don't like your money, I'll be happy to take a fat donation from you.

He claims he can do whatever he wants because he would have his own practice. (doesn't realize that most new grads can't afford their own practice) and he lacks dedication to anything.

He can take out a loan.

I also want to be a doctor but I have more immersion in the hospital/healthcare field that visiting someone in the hospital or going to the doctor like he. What do you tell these people?

you shut up and stop trying to crush their dream, no matter how wrong it seems to you.

oh yeah. he's only in high school. let him be. sounds like a case of sour grapes. are you guys in some competition or some ****? :thumbdown:

Born2baDoctor said:

Dunno to me he sounds like a potential genius. In my final analysis, the guy who was the archetype lazy party bum seems to have won out over the anal retentive premed. Lots of reasons why, but I can say I was a bum, my pre-med buddies were bums and all of us are self-employed in our own practices post-residency. So that blows your theory kinda out of the water. If you want to start your practice, you will find a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.