Your Worst and Best Points In Vet School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BurntFlower

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not a vet student yet, but I'm curious to know. :)

Worst point: being in the middle of the dreaded Second Semester Second Year, where none of the classes seemed relevant and I hated hated hated what I had to spend all my time learning. Clinics seemed so far away, and what I was devoting all my time to seemed pointless.

Best point: Being in my spay/neuter rotation and having the doctor say, "Ok, you're flying solo for this one!" Or maybe, the first time I got to send an ICU patient home- the owner couldn't stop saying thank you, and she gave me a big hug and said I'd be a great vet :)

StealthDog: If you don't mind me asking, what were those classes that you hated?

Members don't see this ad :)
Worst point: First semester, first year. Lots of pointless information taught by people who'd never examined a live animal in their lives.

Best point: apart from graduation, RAVS trips to help animals in underserved areas, and during fourth year, sending an elderly, formerly-jaundiced dog home for a few last good days with her family before the primary hepatic lymphoma got her. They'd brought her in thinking she wouldn't make it through the weekend (the problem showed up suddenly and they'd previously had no idea she was ill), but we got her back on her feet for discharge on the Wednesday.

They'd planned to have her euthanized at home later that day, and they came in expecting us to have just made her comfortable enough for transport (they lived several hours away so hadn't been able to visit). Instead, a bounding, happy dog greeted them, and they had five more good days with her before they had to put her down. Their college-age kids made it home to say goodbye to their childhood pet. Pred can do wonders in the right hands! :)

They sent me and the resident a really sweet note, with photos, and donated $1,000 to the school. I still have the note.

Worse: Studying for exams

Best: learning about medicine, disease and surgery is quite interesting. the friendship and bond u make in such a small class will last for a long time (that goes with any enemies u make in vet school :))

StealthDog: If you don't mind me asking, what were those classes that you hated?

The large animal portions of Cardiopulmonary Disorders (learning about feedlot-specific diseases... ugh), Reproductive Biology (nice professor, but this was taught much more like an undergrad bio class than a vet school class... not much clinical relevance), and Radiology I (just because the "quizzes" were painfully difficult).

worst: My first spay (as assistant). Totally nervous, blanked out a lot, forgot simple things, etc. Got some very stern advice/warnings from the attending surgeons. Totally squashed my self confidence (I almost cried multiple times) but turned on my "must get better" mode.

Best: Third spay (as primary surgeon). Sx went *beautifully*, was the first one done in the entire lab, got tons of praise and top marks from the very surgeons who ripped me a new one the first time.:love: