Your Vote Counts!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

para

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK so Tulane, Drexel, or GWU? for mph policy HIT IT!! VOTE!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to GWU-it's simple, location means everything, and there's a lot you can learn off campus about health policy in DC:) Also, I'm a native of New Orleans, and I think Tulane is stronger in fields like enviro. science and global health (there's simply not a lot of action locally with health management or policy issues, at least pre-Katrina)...

Go to GWU-it's simple, location means everything, and there's a lot you can learn off campus about health policy in DC:) Also, I'm a native of New Orleans, and I think Tulane is stronger in fields like enviro. science and global health (there's simply not a lot of action locally with health management or policy issues, at least pre-Katrina)...

thank you! I just want a place that gets u a good job u know?

I heard the crime is crazy in New Orleans, is it true?

Where r u planning to go?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Para, the whole think with N.O. is that it was a VERY dangerous place to live before Katrina, and apparently, things are getting worse. I'm not trying to scare you, but the murder rate there was statistically higher than places like Camden, NJ or NYC, because per capita, more people were victims of homicide. For its 500,000 population (mid-size city), there was about 2-3 crimes of that nature occurring every day, so it wasn't uncommon to have about 400 murders a year, which affected population. And, the scary part was that ordinary citizens of all races and walks of life easily became unintended targets:oops:. I just don't think it's a good place to go now either, particularly because a lot of city services, including education and crime prevention, are still shaky. Yeah, it's a party town during Mardi Gras, but the rest of the country never knows how it is the other 360 days a year...

I think especially if you wanna get a good job, PLEASE go to Philly or DC, where the local and regional economies are a lot stronger, and opportunities to get relatively well paying entry level positions in healthcare is better. N.O. and Louisiana are known as places where salaries are lower, even in professional jobs. As for me, I'm planning on going to Emory in the fall to start an MPH in Health Education:) Good luck deciding, but I really think you should go for GWU, because it also has a good reputation as a public health school, and a pretty recognizable name, both nationally and internationally, versus Drexel or Tulane.

Assuming all things being equal (since you didn't provide any details or qualifying critera), I vote GWU.

If you can afford living cost in DC area, vote for GWU.

I vote for GWU! :D

WOW THANK YOU GUYS!!!

YES THE MONEY IS THE BITCH! ;) oh well....

Hey Para, the whole think with N.O. is that it was a VERY dangerous place to live before Katrina, and apparently, things are getting worse. I'm not trying to scare you, but the murder rate there was statistically higher than places like Camden, NJ or NYC, because per capita, more people were victims of homicide. For its 500,000 population (mid-size city), there was about 2-3 crimes of that nature occurring every day, so it wasn't uncommon to have about 400 murders a year, which affected population. And, the scary part was that ordinary citizens of all races and walks of life easily became unintended targets:oops:. I just don't think it's a good place to go now either, particularly because a lot of city services, including education and crime prevention, are still shaky. Yeah, it's a party town during Mardi Gras, but the rest of the country never knows how it is the other 360 days a year...

I think especially if you wanna get a good job, PLEASE go to Philly or DC, where the local and regional economies are a lot stronger, and opportunities to get relatively well paying entry level positions in healthcare is better. N.O. and Louisiana are known as places where salaries are lower, even in professional jobs. As for me, I'm planning on going to Emory in the fall to start an MPH in Health Education:) Good luck deciding, but I really think you should go for GWU, because it also has a good reputation as a public health school, and a pretty recognizable name, both nationally and internationally, versus Drexel or Tulane.

One of my frnds is going there, CONGRATS!! to u! and thank you dearly for your words, I wish well!