your toughest interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drshark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone want to share what their toughest interview question was? Or one that was random but would be useful to practice ahead of time? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone want to share what their toughest interview question was? Or one that was random but would be useful to practice ahead of time? :)
It's hard to say for an individual person. Some find questions easy, some find them difficult. The best advice I got from some friends is to really know your experiences, your application, and a way to connect them towards the questions they throw at you.

Only after that, go through the interview feedback section, learn about the school, the obvious why medicine, and read into some healthcare issues. I personally find all ethics questions to be a walk in the park, while questions dealing with the meaning of "certain words" are a little more abstract. Ex: What does the word accountable mean to you? lolwut

Members don't see this ad :)
I tell this story to people all the time, but the first question I got at one interview went like this...

Interviewer (after quoting a sentence from my personal statement): That's stupid
Me: Please go on...
Interviewer: That's a stupid thing to write. Why did you write it?

Reactions: 1 user
I tell this story to people all the time, but the first question I got at one interview went like this...

Interviewer (after quoting a sentence from my personal statement): That's stupid

What'd you write?

Oh, easy.

"on a scale of 1 to 10, how ready are you for medical school?" right after we discussed my meager GPA.

the only correct answer is 10, but you have to justify it.

I said 7.

still got in :p

If anyone has seen Lincoln or read the book in my recent interview one interviewer started telling the Ethan Allen story:

"...nothing makes an Englishman sh** faster than a picture of George Washington.”

Swearing doesn't necessarily shock me, but I was definitely not expecting to hear my interviewer swear in front of me. I wondering do I laugh, is this a test? ugggh I ending up laughing along with but I think my eyes were bulging.

How do you feel about Medical Pot?

My interviewer asked me something along the lines of if I thought health care should be a right or a privilege. I said it should be a right because of x y z reason, but due to how our healthcare system is set up, it's become a privilege. He wanted me to elaborate so I went on to talk about insurance company policies and how people don't get treatment -> ng, blah blah blah. Then he gave me a hypothetical situation where I was an insurance company and had to pick between two pts. to give money to. I could only pick one, and the pt. I didn't chose would die. Earlier in the conversation, he had found out that I like to snowboard, so he said that one of the pts. is an extreme snowboarder who gets into accidents all the time and the other pt. was my grandfather (or grandmother, I forget) who was scheduled for some operation that has a low chance of success. I don't remember my response, but afterwards he gives me a little talk about how insurance companies hate paying for high-risk patients because of so and so reason, and that both patients are screwed in that sense. He goes on to tell me about our healthcare system, explaining it from the perspectives of businesses, physicians, the middle class, and insurance companies. I didn't really know what to do but just sit there listening to his vast knowledge of the subject, nodding my head. He then looks at his watch and realizes that we're almost out of time. So he says that since we're on this topic, he would like to know how I would restructure the entire healthcare system if I was given the power to do so, and to be as detailed as possible.

I had read books about the US healthcare system and taken a class about different systems prior to this interview, so I had something to start off with. I also tried incorporating things that he had touched on in his talk. But mannn it was so intimidating...In the middle of my restructuring explanation, he said that businesses wouldn't be happy with that and to find another alternative. Ughh.....The first interview question wasn't hard, but I felt like I was digging myself deeper and deeper into a hole after each follow up question. When I left the room, I wished that I had taken more classes/read more books/talked to more people about the multiple facets of the healthcare system and about it in general. Basically, I just wish I knew more. Anyway, I think I just had bad luck that day because since then I've never been asked a healthcare system related question at an interview.

tl;dr- do more research on healthcare system stuff just in case

My interviewer asked me something along the lines of if I thought health care should be a right or a privilege. I said it should be a right because of x y z reason, but due to how our healthcare system is set up, it's become a privilege. He wanted me to elaborate so I went on to talk about insurance company policies and how people don't get treatment -> ng, blah blah blah. Then he gave me a hypothetical situation where I was an insurance company and had to pick between two pts. to give money to. I could only pick one, and the pt. I didn't chose would die. Earlier in the conversation, he had found out that I like to snowboard, so he said that one of the pts. is an extreme snowboarder who gets into accidents all the time and the other pt. was my grandfather (or grandmother, I forget) who was scheduled for some operation that has a low chance of success. I don't remember my response, but afterwards he gives me a little talk about how insurance companies hate paying for high-risk patients because of so and so reason, and that both patients are screwed in that sense. He goes on to tell me about our healthcare system, explaining it from the perspectives of businesses, physicians, the middle class, and insurance companies. I didn't really know what to do but just sit there listening to his vast knowledge of the subject, nodding my head. He then looks at his watch and realizes that we're almost out of time. So he says that since we're on this topic, he would like to know how I would restructure the entire healthcare system if I was given the power to do so, and to be as detailed as possible.

I had read books about the US healthcare system and taken a class about different systems prior to this interview, so I had something to start off with. I also tried incorporating things that he had touched on in his talk. But mannn it was so intimidating...In the middle of my restructuring explanation, he said that businesses wouldn't be happy with that and to find another alternative. Ughh.....The first interview question wasn't hard, but I felt like I was digging myself deeper and deeper into a hole after each follow up question. When I left the room, I wished that I had taken more classes/read more books/talked to more people about the multiple facets of the healthcare system and about it in general. Basically, I just wish I knew more. Anyway, I think I just had bad luck that day because since then I've never been asked a healthcare system related question at an interview.

Scenarios like this make me nervous :scared:

I think I would have puked...

On a related note... I know some healthcare, but I definitely need to do extra research before my interviews so I can be prepared for that situation. Other than reading online news articles, are there any decent books I could read to brush up?

Thanks!

Whoa.....thats crazy man.

Members don't see this ad :)

The real question is, were you accepted to this school where you were grilled?

The most stressful thing I got was at my first interview where the interviewer (before I even sat down) said something along the lines of "SLC, I noticed you weren't a science major, how am I supposed to know you'd survive the curriculum here?"

I tried talking about my MCAT which was pretty good, but he cut me off and said "I don't have your scores; and physics isn't going to help you in Med-School"

I don't even remember what I said, but I got accepted so it must've been serviceable.

I always thought the old "so do you have any questions for us" was the most loaded question they generally give!

Why do you want to come to our school when you are clearly full-tuition scholarship at top 5 material?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Discuss both sides of a medical ethics issue that is current in the media. When I asked how current, the interviewer said within past 6 months and then he proceeded with telling me that he also wanted me to quote someone who has been been vocal about this issue in the media. I had to take few seconds to think of something and I think I gave a pretty good answer (even surprised myself with how well I was able to think on my feet :p). I was waitlisted but I think this was probably due to this interviewer not believing in my answer to why I would be willing to move to Missouri from CA. He seriously asked me "Why Missouri?" three different ways and since this was my first time visiting this state, my answer was quite limited. I wished he would have asked me "Why School X?" instead as I had done tons of research on this school.

I also got questions about healthcare policy, like why US spends 17% GDP on health care yet we are still not as healthy as people in other countries (e.g. Japan, Switzerland, UK). What went wrong? How can Obamacare change/improve that if Obama won the election? (interview before election).

I think I would have puked...

On a related note... I know some healthcare, but I definitely need to do extra research before my interviews so I can be prepared for that situation. Other than reading online news articles, are there any decent books I could read to brush up?

Thanks!

For healthcare stuff, I recommend The Healing of America by T.R. Reid, and Comparative Health Policy by Robert H. Blank and Viola Burau. I was pretty clueless about anything healthcare related and one of my grad professors recommended the first book as a good starting place. The author explores a whole spectrum of healthcare systems in the world and compares them to the US. How is it that country X spends only a fraction of what the US spends but is somehow able to provide all their citizens with fairer access to healthcare? What lessons can be learned from looking at these more successful systems? The really good thing about the book is that it's written in an engaging way (at least I thought so) and everything is explained well. There's also a short chapter in the end that explains the Affordable Care Act, which I thought helped a lot. The downside of the book is that it's only a good place to start, and that if you want to get more specific you may need some supplemental information. IMO, the book itself should be enough prep for your avg medical school interview though. It's also a pretty fast read, about 250 pages 1.5 spaced.

The second book I mentioned was for a class so there's a lot of extra detail and fluff that isn't that important for an interview. I only looked at the beginning chapters in depth since there was more info on funding. Honestly, I was probably just being neurotic looking through that book :laugh:. It's also about 250 pgs, single spaced with a lot of tables and figures. I would recommend the first book over this one.

Hope that helps!

The real question is, were you accepted to this school where you were grilled?

If you really want to know, I'll send you a more detailed PM.

I also got questions about healthcare policy, like why US spends 17% GDP on health care yet we are still not as healthy as people in other countries (e.g. Japan, Switzerland, UK). What went wrong? How can Obamacare change/improve that if Obama won the election? (interview before election).

How do you think you did on those questions? Healthcare policy is my weakest interview topic :oops:

All hard questions have the same answer. Say something relevant and then transition into something you want to talk about. I did it with a question about my opinion on Obama.

The question about why we are unhealthy is awesome. I wish I got that one. Perfect opportunity to transition the conversation into what I think will be my biggest challenge as a physician. Great opportunity to show that i/you have been introspective and considered the unique difficulties of the profession.

I lol'd...that is messed up

My favorites were: What do you think physicians owe to their patients when they mistakes? and What circumstances do you think compensation should be given?

So, is it okay to sort of talk through your thought process out loud when asked a hard question? Something like "well on the one...blah blah blah...but on the other hand...blah blah blah". Or is it better to just give an answer and stick to it?

So, is it okay to sort of talk through your thought process out loud when asked a hard question? Something like "well on the one...blah blah blah...but on the other hand...blah blah blah". Or is it better to just give an answer and stick to it?

Depends, but if you are given an ethical dilemma, its always best to show that you know both sides of the topic by explaining both sides.

Strangely, I never had a major ethical question come up on my interviews (other than "name a situation you faced that was ethically challenging"). No ACA, abortion or anything like that.

Guess they were too busy asking me why my grades suck lol

Worst question for me was how have I handled grief in my life... I had no idea how to answer that as I've never really experienced anything that I would consider "grief" or anything like it in my life. (or maybe I just cope really well?)

This thread is scary :scared:

Other than The Healing of America, what other books do you guys recommend I read to prepare for interviews

Discuss both sides of a medical ethics issue that is current in the media. When I asked how current, the interviewer said within past 6 months and then he proceeded with telling me that he also wanted me to quote someone who has been been vocal about this issue in the media. I had to take few seconds to think of something and I think I gave a pretty good answer (even surprised myself with how well I was able to think on my feet :p). I was waitlisted but I think this was probably due to this interviewer not believing in my answer to why I would be willing to move to Missouri from CA. He seriously asked me "Why Missouri?" three different ways and since this was my first time visiting this state, my answer was quite limited. I wished he would have asked me "Why School X?" instead as I had done tons of research on this school.

I don't think I would've survived this interview. The harder component of it was the quote.

You guys had some tough questions. I was never really asked anything super hard. Of course I only attended 3 of my interviews so I'm sure I would have gotten a weird one eventually. Sounds like you guys did good though.

I don't think I would've survived this interview. The harder component of it was the quote.

Fortunately for me, the interviewer ended up telling me a bit later that I don't have to quote anyone. I think the horrified look on my face might have something to do with this. haha:oops:

Worst question for me was how have I handled grief in my life... I had no idea how to answer that as I've never really experienced anything that I would consider "grief" or anything like it in my life. (or maybe I just cope really well?)

I had a similar question of "How do you cope with stress?" I don't personally have any real method (running or taking a few deep breaths, etc), so I just said something to the effect of, "I just keep working until the stressful situation gets resolved."

One thing I made big use of during my interviews was the "I don't know enough about this subject to have a definite opinion." Worked for medical marijuana, worked for hypothetical emotional reactions. At least, it worked well enough for me :laugh:

This thread is scary :scared:

Other than The Healing of America, what other books do you guys recommend I read to prepare for interviews

I didn't read any books but I remember feeling quite overwhelmed when I first started to look for information on Obama care. This video was really helpful in learning the basics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Ilc5xK2_E&feature=g-hist
This website was very helpful: http://healthcarereform.procon.org/
Some other links: http://blog.debate.org/2012/06/29/the-pros-and-cons-of-obamacare-a-simple-guide/
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/11...ocus-on-prevention-would-help-pay-for-health/
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204005504574235751720822322.html

Tell him your Ron Swanson and emotions are something the government made up to get more money.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

" Do you like your mind? Why or why not?". It wasn't so much hard..just kind of a weird question out of left field lol.

For healthcare stuff, I recommend The Healing of America by T.R. Reid, and Comparative Health Policy by Robert H. Blank and Viola Burau. I was pretty clueless about anything healthcare related and one of my grad professors recommended the first book as a good starting place. The author explores a whole spectrum of healthcare systems in the world and compares them to the US. How is it that country X spends only a fraction of what the US spends but is somehow able to provide all their citizens with fairer access to healthcare? What lessons can be learned from looking at these more successful systems? The really good thing about the book is that it's written in an engaging way (at least I thought so) and everything is explained well. There's also a short chapter in the end that explains the Affordable Care Act, which I thought helped a lot. The downside of the book is that it's only a good place to start, and that if you want to get more specific you may need some supplemental information. IMO, the book itself should be enough prep for your avg medical school interview though. It's also a pretty fast read, about 250 pages 1.5 spaced.

The second book I mentioned was for a class so there's a lot of extra detail and fluff that isn't that important for an interview. I only looked at the beginning chapters in depth since there was more info on funding. Honestly, I was probably just being neurotic looking through that book :laugh:. It's also about 250 pgs, single spaced with a lot of tables and figures. I would recommend the first book over this one.

Hope that helps!

If you really want to know, I'll send you a more detailed PM.

How do you think you did on those questions? Healthcare policy is my weakest interview topic :oops:
Thank you so much, this is really helpful. I have one week before my first 2 interviews, so I may be doing some intense cramming, but I don't want to be unprepared and definitely need to learn this stuff anyways.

Same her! 1 week before my first two interviews EVER! I am extremely nervous about the fact that I basically will not have time to prepare anything other than the Why medicine, why D.O and why our school questions! I have finals starting 2 days after my interview and tons and tons of papers and assignments due right now! :(..

Same her! 1 week before my first two interviews EVER! I am extremely nervous about the fact that I basically will not have time to prepare anything other than the Why medicine, why D.O and why our school questions! I have finals starting 2 days after my interview and tons and tons of papers and assignments due right now! :(..
Good luck! We're gonna rock it!

Thank you so much, this is really helpful. I have one week before my first 2 interviews, so I may be doing some intense cramming, but I don't want to be unprepared and definitely need to learn this stuff anyways.

No problem! I say if anything, know how to respond to a "What do you think about the Affordable Care Act?" or a "What would you change about the US healthcare system" type question. I think those two are the most common types of healthcare related questions that get asked at an interview, if the interviewer decides to go in that direction.

Not sure how helpful this would be, but if you're short on time, try setting aside 30 min - 1 hr a day for running through some common questions. It might make you feel a little more prepared and confident on interview day. Good luck!

"What would you do without your family to support you"

How do you think we can fix the shortage of physicians problem?

Why do you want to come to our school when you are clearly full-tuition scholarship at top 5 material?

Ha ha ha!
Oh, you weren't joking?
-_-

It doesn't take long to prepare for interviews

What will the next war be about?

Most of the Asian Indians working in my company somehow used to say that it was gonna be in 2012 since their "gurus" had told them so!.. Well, we're gonna be in 2013 soon, aren't we?

If we were to reject you what reasons would we reject you for?

I also was asked (at a different interview), if you could be any cell in the body what would you be and why?