Your thoughts on where I stand? (Start of prep)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kboy2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello...Just want to see if in general I am "strong", "weak", or "average" for the start of my prep.

I have not finished my final pathology course yet, and have not done a full go of FA yet, and no "overall review" of anything - Im literally rolling on what I remember from 1st two years.

Im about 15% into Kaplan Qbank with 48% avg
Likewise on Uworld with 50% average

Edit: both timed and random

These are below the averages other students at the moment, but Im curious what kind of start this is. Should I be worried or is my foundation decent?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No worries, but put the brakes on Uworld for a bit. Save it for last, use USMLErx or Kaplanqbank right now. Everyone starts off below average and works their way up. I was scoring pretty bad myself initially. Obviously you shouldn't be satisfied and it's good to not be okay with being below average, use it as a motivator, and understand you will get better with consistency and persistence.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for the response.

Any thoughts on how I ought to approach studying most efficiently? I was thinking perhaps taking one section of FA (Ie biochem), then just reading the heck out of it for one day, then banging out Q's on it for 2 days straight after, then a new subject same drill. Over and over and over. I dont get much from reading - Ill have to read something over 15 times until it sticks, I learn much faster from questions/flash cards etc. For pathology I think I would extend that schedule to maybe 4-5 days given its volume.

On the other hand, Im not sure if its a better idea to always do random?

And resources I was thinking UW/FA/Pathoma.

Any tips you can give for just starting given me listed performance would be infinitely appreciated. Correct me if I'm wrong, but were you very active in the Step 1 2013 thread? That monkey face in your pic is very familiar to me lol

Thanks again!

I started at 38% UWorld at the beginning of my M2 year and now I'm performing at 75%+ pretty consistently (8 weeks out). As the poster above said: select a good strategy, stick to it, and have faith in your ability to progress.