your thoughts on this new surgery for Presbyopia & its affects on the OD profession?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odstudent said:
i dont know what that means for OD's in the long run, but thats pretty iincredible!

Not all patients want surgery and I'm sure not everyone will be a candidate. Also, people will still need glasses up to that point. We still will do pre and post op care and disease tx. It will have an effect on what we do, but we will still be in business.

Members don't see this ad :)
looks like we can try to do pre and post care for this surgery as well!

$$$ jk

rpames said:
Not all patients want surgery and I'm sure not everyone will be a candidate. Also, people will still need glasses up to that point. We still will do pre and post op care and disease tx. It will have an effect on what we do, but we will still be in business.

And, it will work up to the point they have cataracts.. and then bye bye bubble-lens. Hello PCIOL.

It does sound like a fascinating technique though. I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

There are already the ReZoom and ReStor multifocal IOLs and the Crystalens "accommodating" IOL. Theres always the option of monovision cataract surgery or clear lens extraction. There's monovision laser surgery also. None of these have put optometrists or general ophthalmologists out of business yet. But at least we have something to look forward to when we are hitting 40ish. Im not sure we will be waiting until our lenses are cloudy to have IOLs put in. Not if we have IOLs that work great correcting presbyopia also.

There are already the ReZoom and ReStor multifocal IOLs and the Crystalens "accommodating" IOL. Theres always the option of monovision cataract surgery or clear lens extraction. There's monovision laser surgery also. None of these have put optometrists or general ophthalmologists out of business yet. But at least we have something to look forward to when we are hitting 40ish. Im not sure we will be waiting until our lenses are cloudy to have IOLs put in. Not if we have IOLs that work great correcting presbyopia also.

I worked with an OMD that was would implant all three type of lenses. They were highly selective in the patients they put these IOL's into. Also, most of the time it didn't even seem that great for the patient. Patients would still have to use readers to read some type of prints. Some wanted it taken out, and have a distance only IOL put in. Some patients it worked tremendously well for. Still seems like it has a lot of kinks to work out.

I worked with an OMD that was would implant all three type of lenses. They were highly selective in the patients they put these IOL's into. Also, most of the time it didn't even seem that great for the patient. Patients would still have to use readers to read some type of prints. Some wanted it taken out, and have a distance only IOL put in. Some patients it worked tremendously well for. Still seems like it has a lot of kinks to work out.

i gotta agree with u on that one. i work with an omd and selecting patients for these lenses is simply tough - u gotta find the right patient and the right lens and u have only 1 surgery to do it right. not everyone is "20 - happy" as much as the laser refractive surgery patients. there's still work for od's yet - namely workup of patients like the above, if that's what u like.