Your rock bottom specialty choices (wouldn't do it if they PAID you-- well, you know)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What specialty would be worse (for you) than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick?

• Sugery (any kind)

Votes: 65 16.5%
  • Internal Med

Votes: 18 4.6%
  • Peds

Votes: 18 4.6%
  • Family Practice

Votes: 36 9.2%
  • OB/GYN

Votes: 100 25.4%
  • Psych

Votes: 75 19.1%
  • Gas

Votes: 12 3.1%
  • Path

Votes: 45 11.5%
  • Rads

Votes: 13 3.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 10 2.5%

• Total voters
id rather be a full-time truck driver than to do FP or IM.

Members don't see this ad.

ob/gyn----miserable hours hands down......
surgery---- a rarity in the field is finding a nice surgeon.....
I saw some surgery jokes a few pages back ad thought I'd put my two cents in ...........how do you keep a secret from a surgeon?
Publish it!

Now that I have offended a large number of knife wielding individuals, I will say good night.

Original. Very Original.

That must be IM humor - Stale, yet somehow still interesting to some.

I appreciate the thinly hidden sarcasm of the last come-back. its all about the delivery

I'm patiently waiting for more surgery jokes.

Ever hear the one about the "true double-blind study . . . "

dobonedoc - two orthopods reading an ecg?
that was posted earlier, i think on a different thread.

how do you hide a dollar from an orthopod? put it in a book

how do you hide a dollar from a plastic surgeon? you can't!!!

Peds, bad a*s kids get on my nerves!:D

Though I love surgery, and cannot imagine doing anything else, I must admit that peds is not that bad.

Imagine having to do primary care (that hurts) . . .

Peds in a private setting is filled with mostly sick kids (a runny nose or butt) or you are looking at well-child checks. No real mystery. As for the parents, they are not that bad. It is the doctor's job to establish a professional relationship with the parents. If they bother you, make it right from the beginning. Do not accept calls at home, and do not allow parents to make demands. "No Mr/s Jones, your child does not need Augmentin for his cold. Instead, this is what s/he needs is. . ."

I've had very positive experiences with 2 peds docs in their private offices. Their success comes from having a professional relationship with their families. They are on time, efficient, and nice, but they are not abused by demanding parents or children.

But that is enough of a very rare "plug" for primary care. Cure it all with "bright lights and cold steel!"

It's a tie between surgery and neurology!

The list is so limited. My bottom 2 are EM and Derm. Derm is just totally grody. I know I am a freak because it seems as if everyone thinks derm would be soooo fabulous but ewwwww. And EM because it is just too damn stressfull to have that as your life every day.

As a parent of a small child, I can really relate to paranoid parents when they bring in their sick kid. I have totally been there. I could do that.

Originally posted by rirriri
id rather be a full-time truck driver than to do FP or IM.

Aint that the truth. Dealing with patiens who b*tch and moan about everything, dealing with insurance issues 40% of the day. Corresponding with all of my patients supplemental care, return phone calls that last forever, if your patient gets very ill and has to be admitted into the hospital YOU NEED TO GO SEE THEM. Both my parents were FM, the lifestyle is a lil better yes. But replace the longer AT-WORK hrs with the AT-HOME-WORK (patients who feel they need to call you for every little thing) you're somewhat in the same boat. I think it's so odd that a lawyer can bill you for everything they do on your behalf. Talking to you on the phone, sending out records anything they can possibly bill you for they do. If doctors do that, they are looked at as money hungry. But it's just a norm in law. I think it just borders on troglodyte labor. would never want to do FM or IM.

Is pathology the one where you examine dead people? I thought so, but now I'm not sure, that's why I picked it. But I do not want to do surgery. When I get super nervous, my hands shake, so the idea of doing surgery is really nervewracking. Also, I would prefer to have my patients awake, though I must admit that I find some types of surgery such as maxillofacial and burn surgery interesting, I really don't like the idea of doing something where one wrong movement with a finger could mean the difference between life or death...

My last would be OBGyn-I'm glad some people like it, but I just have no desire to view the female anatomy over and over and over again, punctuated by views of the female anatomy covered in slimy, smelly blood and fluid, ripping apart as the baby comes out, with the mother screaming in agony.

Peds is getting a bad rap here, though! I guess as a parent I'm a little more understanding of the parent's side-I've never had any problems with them. I love the peds attendings I've worked with, and I'll probably do some sort of academics, either a subspecialty where there are no ear infections, or research, where I can do clinic a couple afternoons a week and not go crazy.

And finally-yes, it is painful to take care of a sick kid, but it would be more painful to let someone else do it (or no-one). And there is nothing like saving a child-you save a 70 year old-it is great-but if they don't start smoking and eating at Mickey Ds again, they might live another 10 or so years. If you save a child, you have given them an entire lifetime, and you have saved their parents from the horror of losing a child.

To all you bitches dissing peds, I have one thing to say,

Stay the hell away from my patients. Go back behind the head of the patient during surgery while the pimp surgeon does the real work.

A well run peds office with good collection and low medicaid can do very well, maybe not as much the the anes-sleazy-ologist, but when that oversupply is corrected, you might be scurrying for your asses like you were 7 years ago.

So, again, stay away from all children. your attitude sucks. you probably went to medical school because your parents wanted you to.

Surgeons are playaz, I don't care how much of jackasses they are, they have real dedication and don't have to be relieved for lunch by a nurse (CRNA) after 3 straight hours of work.

Easy, jdog. What do you have to say about those who double boarded in peds and anesthesiology, now practicing in peds anesthesiology as well as peds critical care?

Sorry your experience w/ anesthesiology has been so poor. My experience w/ peds anesthesia in particular (and, at this institution, anest in general) has been with some amazing attendings who can really make a difference in the care of the child. Just another member of the team...

Gator,

didn't mean to rant too much. maybe it's just because at my med school, which will remain nameless, has a crappy anesthesia rez and many of the residents are punks who only care about their 24 hour shifts and q7 call. I am sure at better anes programs their is a different mindset.

But you have to admit, a lot of anes-sleazia peps are unbelievably obnoxious considering just 5 years ago you couldn't find a guy on the street corner to go into this field. Interestingly, I saw a anes journal lying around in the PICU last week and it said that by 2005 the shortage of anes would be corrected.

They will always be well paid because the nature of their work carries a serious rick of complications, but they might lose this attitude.

I believe that all docs should be paid great becaue of all this bullsh-t we have to go through, but is it not rediculous that Anes makes more than the surgeons doing the operations in many cases.

I must have been protected from all those bad surgeons, or being used to having badasses scream at me all day before I got to med school made me a different person, because I have no idea where all these horrible jerks you guys are talking about are found. Sure there are plenty of jackasses, but that's true of medicine in general. The most ridiculous attending experiences in all those years were with peds and anesthesia.

Then again, I was the senior resident least likely to get paged at night...