This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmtoCS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I love retail and dealing with crazy customers, that's what makes it fun ! :nod:

Reactions: 3 users
I love retail and dealing with crazy customers, that's what makes it fun ! :nod:

To make it more fun, you should max out your loans and make it a game to pay it all off within your lifetime.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
To make it more fun, you should max out your loans and make it a game to pay it all off within your lifetime.

Start your career on "hard mode" by spending your loans on luxury purchases like new cars!

Reactions: 3 users
I'll make it so my children's children will have to pay it off, just like Stanley Yelnats's curse in Holes :roflcopter:

Reactions: 1 user
Major shout out to Stoichiometrist and Amicable Angora for always talking down on the job prospects of pharmacy and then going into the field themselves.. more jobs for us I guess?

Major shout out to Stoichiometrist and Amicable Angora for always talking down on the job prospects of pharmacy and then going into the field themselves.. more jobs for us I guess?

When a lot of us went into it, including the posters that you mentioned, the number of pharmacy schools in existance were about half of the amount that exist now and people were getting sign on bonuses. All major indicators of the market including BLS, pharmacy manpower project, and HRSA were projecting a MAJOR shortage. # of applications per spots were about 15-20... It was an elite profession. Times have changed.

I hear retail is hard to land now unless you have strict connections. Managers just don't want to go through heaps of piles of grads all applying for the same position.

Is hospital employment increasing in any way? Due to more students going for residences now? Would like to still keep this as an option for myself.

Is hospital employment increasing in any way? Due to more students going for residences now? Would like to still keep this as an option for myself.

Increasing at a rate far slower than students are graduating from residencies, and even slower compared to the number of students graduating from pharmacy schools. Even some residency grads have to settle for retail or are forced to move to BFE to take hospital staff positions.

Increasing at a rate far slower than students are graduating from residencies, and even slower compared to the number of students graduating from pharmacy schools. Even some residency grads have to settle for retail or are forced to move to BFE to take hospital staff positions.

Yea I actually searched some job openings and most of them are just there to show that they have to legally offer something, even though it's not rly open. Even then, everyone of them I see that more than a couple of hundred people have seen and applied for each position...it's ridiculous.

Even with retail, you may not be able to land full-time positions unless you're willing to float across multiple stores (sometimes an hour apart).

Bumping this thread. If retail is not your goal then you need to realize your odds before you take out $200k+ in loans to go to pharmacy school.

Reactions: 1 user
Bump. You really need to be okay with being part of the 70% if you decide to go to pharmacy school.

I feel like I enjoy retail. I wouldn't have any qualms with working retail if it came down to it. I'm going to be trying for at least a PGY1 just to keep my options open, though. I just like pharmacy, I can see where you're coming from trying to warn people of the problems with the field, though.

It’s depressing to see that pharmacists nowadays get as much respect as deli workers because they are mostly forced into retail due to the lack of jobs outside of retail as shown in the pi chart.