Your Pathology class. survey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YouDontKnowJack

I no something you don't
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you study for your path class primarily by reading your lecture notes/handouts? Do your exams only test you on material covered in your notes?
Do you think BRS or Goljan Pathology review books teach you better than your handouts do?

The reason I'm asking is that in the preface to BRS Pathology, the author recommends not using BRS as the primary source for path. However, I am doing just that because my school's path handouts are mediocre, and they leave out chunks of info. At the same time, reading Big Robbins is just overkill for the boards. I am reading not for detail, but rather general overview.

Members don't see this ad.

YouDontKnowJack said:
Do you study for your path class primarily by reading your lecture notes/handouts? Do your exams only test you on material covered in your notes?
Do you think BRS or Goljan Pathology review books teach you better than your handouts do?

The reason I'm asking is that in the preface to BRS Pathology, the author recommends not using BRS as the primary source for path. However, I am doing just that because my school's path handouts are mediocre, and they leave out chunks of info. At the same time, reading Big Robbins is just overkill for the boards. I am reading not for detail, but rather general overview.

We don't have Path lectures in my school. We have small group sessions where we go over slides with a Pathologist, but all of our test questions come from Big Robbins. I read Big Robbins and take notes in the margins of BRS, since BRS leaves out alot of material. I'll also read Baby Robbins right before the exam.

BRS Path has holes/incorrect info in several places. I used a combo of the following when I took Path: Big Robbins, Big Robbins Review question book, BRS Path, and STARS Pathology. It worked out well and I was well-prepared for what was tested on the boards and the clinical rotations during third year. Not reading something because it is "overkill" for the boards seems like a sketchy idea to me, but I may be biased because I enjoy pathology and pathophysiology.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I do have goljan STARS path review. I think I'll read that too as July approaches.

Hi there,
We had small group discussions with a Pathologist who reviewed slides with us with minimal lectures. It was an awesome class. We also had autopsy experiences and loads of gross pathology demonstrations and brain cuttings with the Pathology residents (I still remember the linitis plastica gastric cancer demonstration).

We also had our own slide boxes and microscopes for after-class viewing. Our syllabus had plenty of margin room for taking notes but generally we did not need to take any additional notes. My syllabus was my only prep for USMLE Step I and it proved to be great. Our text was Robbins which we rarely needed to read but the photos were golden for USMLE.

njbmd :)

YouDontKnowJack said:

Just my opinion, but most I think would agree.

Robbins is truly an exceptional textbook....one of the few in medicine. Despite it's length, it is surprisingly quick to get through most sections. It also does a wonderful job of giving an overview, rather than an excess of detail, on most topics. Step I covers alot, but a significant portion is dedicated to path or path-related issues. Path, for the pre-clinical courses, does a great job at bridging micro, anatomy, pathophys, ID, and even genetics. I would not skip out on Robbins entirely, especially if you have assigned reading. BRS is good, but a little superficial (very adequate for the Boards, though). It's not as well organized and clear as Robbins for a first go around with the material either.

For step I, definetly consider using the Robbins Path work book. It served me very well for Step I (not for exams, however). Webpath (google it...you'll find the URL) is an exceptional free website that I found very helpful for the practical portion of path. It's pretty fun, too.

-PB

YouDontKnowJack said:

I just study by using practice questions given to us for each unit. The practice questions come from the notes, and cover all of the material on the exams. I also use slides (images) that our professor provides to us online.

For clarification, our class notes are the 2006 edition of the RR Pathology by Goljan, since he is our professor.

OSUdoc08 said:
For clarification, our class notes are the 2006 edition of the BRS Pathology by Goljan, since he is our professor.

BRS and not RR?

I use scribe notes from class, BRS path (great book, I don't care what anyone else says!), and Pathophysiology for B&W (awesome clinical book). I find that this combination is adequate for doing well on exams and tackling questions from the Robbins Review Question Book.

I agree, just BRS path is not enough for class. There are some key facts missing in it but you can catch it as you're studying for class and write it in the margins. Come time for boards, your BRS Path book will be well-equipped with most/everything you need to know. G'luck.

I stick to class notes and retired test Q's..... probably should be using Robbins and BRS, but I'm lazy. I do plan to start hitting them toward the end of March in preparation for the NBME and USMLE. They said in the begining that Big Robbins is fair game for tests, though I've yet to see a Q that wasn't covered in lecture :rolleyes: