Your Parents and upbringing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiahs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe I should have posted this in the lounge but it will probably be redirected so why should I bother....I'm just tired sorry.....Okay how many of you would agree that the decisions you make in life, to become a doctor, where you go to school, and other such decisions are influenced by or are discussed with your parents. And how do you feel it affects you and your decisions? I personally talk to my parents about everything. Although we may disagree it is really helpful. I'm not anti my parents or their input which is a general trend i am finding among college students at my school. I just wanted a national response. If you can I"d love to hear what you think...Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Completely different situation here. My parents do care alot about me, but they never really asked anything much out of me. Neither of them attended college, and they were both raised in inner city type enviornments where I don't think that either of them even had friends going to college, or in a long short Med School. I basically have all the say in what I want to do with my future, but they will support me with which ever way my life ends up. So my insperation comes completely from myself, and of course, the TLC channel. haha. But I hope this is answering you question correctly.

Completely.

I talk with my parents about everything. We have a pretty open relationship. My sister did garbage she shouldn't have and really hurt my parents (and me too, but them moreso as they raised here and I've just had to deal with her)--eloped marrying a bum with an unstable life and huge money issues, failed her way through college on my parents dime only to drop out, premarital sex (that hurt my motherr a lot, especially when I knew she was going around with EVERY guy she could since she was younger and that I knew, told a decent amount and yet never believed me until it was too late), lying... Having a daughter who trys her hardest, has goals and is happy (and I'm handicapped on top of it all, and in the beginning my parents had NO idea what to expect--even if high school would be a problem but somehow it pans all out and I wanna be a doctor)--it's a HUGE relief to them.

Influenced by them... probably not as much. I've been influenced by the bad life experiences I've had more than anything. I do feel the small pressure to do well, but it's much more of the pressure to just find someething I like and be successful. Not that horrible stage mom drama. My mom never went to college and is a secretary, and my dad graduated from college and has a kick butt cushy government job. The standard of living my parents have set is influencing enough--I want to have something to show for my hard work, and be rewarded for it.

OK, enough, I should go do some homework!