your optimal focus (foci?) during internship before radonc residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrbanAmish

Connectile dysfunction
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is a Q for sdn residents/faculty -

if you could do your internship all over again, what would you have focused your energy on learning, enjoying, etc? what in particular would have helped you become a better radonc resident and radiation oncologist? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I found that I was less focused on learning/enjoying, and more focused on surviving. Internship required lots of learning on the fly, and I was usually trying to stay afloat and learn about the patients I was caring for. I don't think there is any great way to tailor an internship unless you actually have control of the places you work and populations you see (perhaps you do in your setting?). Perhaps others had a different experience.

this is a Q for sdn residents/faculty -

if you could do your internship all over again, what would you have focused your energy on learning, enjoying, etc? what in particular would have helped you become a better radonc resident and radiation oncologist? thanks!

Night float. (15 days off during the month)

Members don't see this ad :)
see post entitled "Going into RadOnc PGY2 in 4 months" below....

i think i was smart with that i did- that is went to a place with - yes- nightfloat and excellent support services (Ie not needing to be awakened at 5 am to place an IV or draw blood). When you are doing all that sure you learn those skills but it doesnt help you in the long run as a radonc and just wears you out. in hindsight, a transitional year would have been at least as good an option.

Focus on July 1st, 2009.