Your opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PMED99

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am a MS4 filling out ERAS and am trying to get a feel for the word of mouth opinion on some schools.

What are any of your personal opinions on
Carraway (bham, AL)
Baptist (bham, AL)
the UT programs
UAB
Jackson, MS
ETSU
Gainesville, FL

As you may tell I am looking for programs in the southeast to apply to. Information would be appreciated. This is not my full list of programs I am considering.

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. I am a MS4 filling out ERAS and am trying to get a feel for the word of mouth opinion on some schools.

What are any of your personal opinions on
Carraway (bham, AL)
Baptist (bham, AL)
the UT programs
UAB
Jackson, MS
ETSU
Gainesville, FL

As you may tell I am looking for programs in the southeast to apply to. Information would be appreciated. This is not my full list of programs I am considering.

Thanks for your help.

I am 15+ years out of residency, so take this with a big grain of salt.

Carraway - was a good general surgery program, but the hospital has had its share of financial problems and got rid of its helicopter (maybe not all bad).

Baptist(Bham) - don't know much

UAB - top notch, one of the best programs in the South

UT - also very good, would lean toward Memphis

UF - top notch, but in my day, had to travel to Jacksonville for trauma experience

In general, look for a program with a university hospital, a VA, a children's hospital and a public (charity type) hospital in the rotation. If these are all located within walking distance, so much the better.

I'm a 2nd year at ETSU, all I can say is AWESOME program.

You can look at my other posts and see my caseload as an intern etc. That total major case number has since been revised to 71, but that was major cases for credit as surgeon JR. Total cases was most likely 300 or better including scopes, lines, I&D etc.

Even interns go to the OR almost every singel day, and the amount of scut is very, very limited. It has more of a football team/family atmosphere and is not malignant at all, which is why the scut is limited. Chiefs will do H&P's instead of always calling the intern to do them etc. I have never had a work hour violation since I have been there, they are serious about the 80 hour work week.

2 level I trauma centers (JCMC and Holston Valley), one level 2 trauma center (Bristol Regional) and the VA. I had my required number of colonoscopys after just 1 or 2 months at the VA, and that's the requred number for the ENTIRE 5 YEARS.

As for the others, I liked UT Knoxville when I interviewed there and don't overlook UT Chattanooga, Greenville and Spartanburg South Carolina, Macon Georgia, Savannah Georgia, and Wilmington North Carolina. I liked them all but my first choice was ETSU.

Members don't see this ad :)
My hearsay two cents on Ole Miss, gathered from friends who recently graduated med school there, was that the surgery program was long on patients and short on resources. The program might offer some advantage to those interested in practicing in Mississippi.

UMC in Jackson, MS recently underwent a major facelift and their facilities are top notch now. They have a new adult and pediatric hospital. I didn't check out the VA. There is a large amount of charity work too, which is a plus for training purposes. Jackson is a decent sized city too. Nice outdoor recreation opportunities and really cheap cost of living. It's hot there, no doubt about it. Probably get good training but I imagine their "name" is fairly regional in nature.

Good luck

I was mainly thinking of boating, skiing, fishing, golf. I would assume deer hunting is big there too, but I wouldn't know. Anything else? I don't really know.

I can tell you from first hand experience about carraway. It is a very laid back program. The hospital was recently bought out by large group of physician investors (hence the new name of the hospital, physicians medical center-carraway), and they seem to be doing good things so far. Unfortunately the volume is a little low right now, but I feel it will get better soon. Part of that is because the hospital is on indefinite trauma diversion right now. The residents get to operate a good bit, with some of the attendings running 2 rooms at once. The chief will usually operate with the intern, and the senior with the attending.

The residents are very well repected by the nursing staff. They get free food, and free parking, and the call rooms are pretty decent. Hope that helps.